Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
I found my GBA SP and games a few weeks ago, so I have been playing that. The backlighting is fantastic. I also have a PSP, but I can't see anything on it if I try to play outside (weird, because that system is like 4 years newer).

The PSP backlight just isn't up to the task of operating outdoors. The GBA-SP backlight has the benefit of being on a smaller screen. Even the original DS ran up against issues with backlighting two screens for daylight usage while maintaining battery life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
flaeryn wrote:
I found my GBA SP and games a few weeks ago, so I have been playing that. The backlighting is fantastic. I also have a PSP, but I can't see anything on it if I try to play outside (weird, because that system is like 4 years newer).

The PSP backlight just isn't up to the task of operating outdoors. The GBA-SP backlight has the benefit of being on a smaller screen. Even the original DS ran up against issues with backlighting two screens for daylight usage while maintaining battery life.

Also, with the GBA SP, you can turn off the backlight when outdoors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Please remove your cursor from my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got really into handhelds a couple years ago. Love my Vita and 2DS XL, and I couldn't tell you the last time I played my Switch docked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Handhelds are my main gaming format, and have been for quite a while, essentially since I got my launch GBA in 2002. I have done the 2017 and 2018 VGG Challenges using only handheld consoles, and this year is the same.

My current roster of handhelds is:

Game Boy
Game Boy Pocket
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
Game Boy Advance SP AGS-001 (x2)
Game Boy Advance SP AGS-101
DS
DSi XL
2DS
PSP (1000)
Game Gear (needs a refurbish as the capacitors are blown on it)
GB Boy Colour (KO GBC with backlit screen)

In addition I am currently in possession of my friend's Neo Geo Pocket Color, but at some point that does need to go back to him.

Getting my Game Gear repaired is a high priority for me. It was the first video game console I bought with my own money, and I have a very large library of games for it. I was an early adopter, buying it shortly after launch, and played on it for years and years. Many fond memories of playing it at night in my bed after "lights out" thanks to the backlit screen.

In addition, I am planning on upgrading my 2DS which is my primary console. I have had it for a few years and I think it is time to move to one of the NEW XL consoles, either the 3DS or 2DS. All of the NEW 2DS XL sets come bundled with Mario Kart 7, which I already own, so I am leaning towards buying a Nintendo refurbished NEW 3DS XL via their eBay store, which is the same price.

It's funny, the right hand side of my desk at home is like a handheld charging station, as my GBA SP, PSP, and 2DS all reside there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colour me jealous, that is an impressive roster of handhelds!

ljacone wrote:
In addition, I am planning on upgrading my 2DS which is my primary console. I have had it for a few years and I think it is time to move to one of the NEW XL consoles, either the 3DS or 2DS. All of the NEW 2DS XL sets come bundled with Mario Kart 7, which I already own, so I am leaning towards buying a Nintendo refurbished NEW 3DS XL via their eBay store, which is the same price.

I highly recommend a new XL console. I bought the new 3DS XL before the 2DS version came out so can't speak for the latter but I didn't even care because it was so much better than my original 3DS. No more hand craps! I have heard complaints that the new 2DS XL feels 'cheap' (but never confirmed this for myself) but the new 3DS XL definitely does not and in my opinion feels nicer than the original model. Also the bigger screens are a nice improvement but don't take away the console's portability or make it feel too large (it's still smaller and more compact than say the Switch).

Plus once you upgrade you can grab Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, for the perfect epic RPG on the go.

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep that was an impressive collection. Are you planing getting a Atari Lynx as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kezle wrote:
ljacone wrote:

I highly recommend a new XL console. I bought the new 3DS XL before the 2DS version came out so can't speak for the latter but I didn't even care because it was so much better than my original 3DS. No more hand craps! I have heard complaints that the new 2DS XL feels 'cheap' (but never confirmed this for myself) but the new 3DS XL definitely does not and in my opinion feels nicer than the original model. Also the bigger screens are a nice improvement but don't take away the console's portability or make it feel too large (it's still smaller and more compact than say the Switch).

Plus once you upgrade you can grab Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, for the perfect epic RPG on the go.

God bless,
Kezle

Yes, I have a couple of friends with NEW 3DS XLs and I agree, they have a wonderful feel in the hand, solid without being heavy or cumbersome. And I also agree about the screen size -- my oldest has a regular 3DS XL, and while I find the 2DS screen sharp and bright, that bigger screen has its advantages as well!

Thanks for the recommendation for Xenoblade Chronicles, it seems to me that the 3DS family is a "must have" for RPG fans...

joakim589 wrote:
Yep that was an impressive collection. Are you planing getting a Atari Lynx as well?
I would like to get a Lynx, but admittedly it is low on my priority list. They are not too crazy priced on eBay generally and often you can find lots with the system and games together, which is nice.

I'd also like to pick up a Wonderswan at some point as well. The main issue there is that most of the games are Japanese heavy, so finding something to play might be a little challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I buy a Playstation Vita, should I go with a PCH-1000 or a PCH-2000. The PCH-1000 had Oled screen, and the PCH-2000 only have LCD screen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
If I buy a Playstation Vita, should I go with a PCH-1000 or a PCH-2000. The PCH-1000 had Oled screen, and the PCH-2000 only have LCD screen.

I'm a big fan of OLED where I can get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
joakim589 wrote:

Yes, Oled is nice. See if I can find a PCH-1000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:

What is the difference between GBA SP AGS 001 and AGS 101?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oni no board wrote:
ljacone wrote:

What is the difference between GBA SP AGS 001 and AGS 101?

The AGS-101 has a backlit screen. The 001 model instead has side-lights in front of the display. I only have the old models. They are still infinitely better than the original GBA models, but the 101 models are superior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
The AGS-101 has a backlit screen. The 001 model instead has side-lights in front of the display. I only have the old models. They are still infinitely better than the original GBA models, but the 101 models are superior.

Can you connect the old models to wall socket?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
paralipsis wrote:

Yes - I have a AGS-001 also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
joakim589 wrote:
paralipsis wrote:

And the models before that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
flaeryn wrote:
joakim589 wrote:
paralipsis wrote:

And the models before that?

It might be possible, but I can't say either way for sure. There is such a thing as a GBA AC adaptor (AGB-009), but it never came with the original GBA when I bought one, so I've never used it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
joakim589 wrote:

I've heard good things about the OLED screens but never tried one for myself. Opted for a new Vita slim because 1) it was cheaper, 2) so many complaints of burn in/blotching on the OLED screens, and 3) where else can you get a neon orange handheld? Seriously, it's even brighter than it looked in the pictures. No complaints so far and compared to a 3DS, the screen still looks great in my opinion.

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Have got my 2DS now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! That colour is brilliant too. Hope you enjoy!

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

First game for the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:

Have got my 2DS now.

Fantastic! Happy gaming!

How does it feel in your hand? Solid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:

Have got my 2DS now.
wow So that's a 2DS in clamshell form factor (as opposed to tablet)? If so, I didn't know they returned to that! I figured people would prefer the clamshell since it would protect the screens when not in use, but word is, they prone to breaking when handled by children.

I'd say losing the 3D part of the 3DS seems like a shame, but never mind it goes against the handheld's namesake... I heard the 3D wasn't great for eye health (mostly for kids, but I hear some adults weren't a fan of it either).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Bowman
msg tools
The 2DS/3DS does a great job at covering the gameboy library as well with its virtual console.
You don't really need a gameboy advance or gameboy with the 3ds library. I was able to get Metroid II and all Portable zelda titles on the 2DS at great prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I'd say losing the 3D part of the 3DS seems like a shame, but never mind it goes against the handheld's namesake... I heard the 3D wasn't great for eye health (mostly for kids, but I hear some adults weren't a fan of it either).

As I understand it, the 2DS-XL is the legacy platform for the 3DS family. It's a cheap to make device that serves the long tail of that generation of hardware allowing software sales to continue to be viable. Because the lenticular 3D was always an optional feature, and it narrowed the scope for where Nintendo's manufacturing partners could source panels at a competitive price, this is a way to keep margins up as declining volumes reduce the efficiencies of scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
The Switch is essentially what the Wii U should have been.

I beg to disagree – they are two very very different things. The main point of the Wii U is that it's a double-screen machine. The main point of the Switch is that it's portable.

As for the OP, I can't help much. I've tried three times doing handheld (Wonderswan, PSP, Switch) and it never works for me. With the Switch, I've carried it with me on trains and places, but the "quick burst" gaming doesn't do it for me – when I game, my brain closes off and starts to focus on the game instead, so when I reach my destination, I'm annoyed that I need to cut off, and I'm confused and full of the game instead. I tried for a a year, and thought it worked, but in the end, I found that having the Switch with me on trains just made me stressed and wound up instead.

It's good to have on planes or very long trips, and to carry with me when I'm going to a summer house, though.

I would like to have a GBA adapter for my Cube, though. How was it, could the GBA adapter also play regular Game Boy games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.