Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:
The Switch is essentially what the Wii U should have been.

I beg to disagree – they are two very very different things. The main point of the Wii U is that it's a double-screen machine. The main point of the Switch is that it's portable.

As for the OP, I can't help much. I've tried three times doing handheld (Wonderswan, PSP, Switch) and it never works for me. With the Switch, I've carried it with me on trains and places, but the "quick burst" gaming doesn't do it for me – when I game, my brain closes off and starts to focus on the game instead, so when I reach my destination, I'm annoyed that I need to cut off, and I'm confused and full of the game instead. I tried for a a year, and thought it worked, but in the end, I found that having the Switch with me on trains just made me stressed and wound up instead.

It's good to have on planes or very long trips, and to carry with me when I'm going to a summer house, though.

I would like to have a GBA adapter for my Cube, though. How was it, could the GBA adapter also play regular Game Boy games?

For me, this is why mobile games/phone games work so well for me in the same regard as yours... I can fire it up, play a level or 3 in a 30-second to 4-minute time frame, and continue along my merry way. I have games like Dungeon Hunter (a Diablo clone) and for this, this is better suited for long sessions. Never mind that game takes about 20 seconds just to load, but there's more "continuity" that isn't as better suited towards "bite sized chunks".

Peristarkawan wrote:
wizcreations wrote:
Kezle, is the same true for the Wii U as well? IIRC, both U and Switch have a handheld screen

No, the Wii U tablet is just a controller and has to remain in range of the console to be functional. You can't take it around town and use it on its own. You can, however, use it as a primary screen so that the television screen is unnecessary. With the Switch though, the tablet is the console, and you can take it wherever you want.

An attempt could've been made, although that would break the ol' "time paradox"... I heard that Nintendo learned A LOT from the Wii U that the improvements to THAT resulted in the Switch. IOW, there's no way for the Switch to exist without having the Wii U as its predecessor. At least not the Switch we know of today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:

As for the OP, I can't help much. I've tried three times doing handheld (Wonderswan, PSP, Switch) and it never works for me. With the Switch, I've carried it with me on trains and places, but the "quick burst" gaming doesn't do it for me – when I game, my brain closes off and starts to focus on the game instead, so when I reach my destination, I'm annoyed that I need to cut off, and I'm confused and full of the game instead. I tried for a a year, and thought it worked, but in the end, I found that having the Switch with me on trains just made me stressed and wound up instead.

It's good to have on planes or very long trips, and to carry with me when I'm going to a summer house, though.

I would like to have a GBA adapter for my Cube, though. How was it, could the GBA adapter also play regular Game Boy games?

First off, I love that you had a Wonderswan. Original or Color?

Secondly, this is a great point and illustrates the difference wonderfully between Switch (a home console which is portable) and 3DS (a portable console). In the 2.5 years I have had my 2DS, the games which have made the biggest impact on me are the ones which are designed to be played in small chunks -- the one which pops to mind immediately is Super Mario 3D Land. The game consists many small stages, with ample opportunity to save progress, so you have plenty of "stopping points" to work with.

I compare this favorably to, for instance, playing a PSOne Classic on my PSP, where those games were designed for home play and thus tend to have longer segments between "stopping points."

Now, I drive on my commute rather than take mass transit, but with 4 young children in the house I still primarily play in small chunks. So the ability to, for example, crack through a couple of stages (such as I am currently doing in Siesta Fiesta) and then get back to something else is attractive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

Yes, the gamecube device that does Gameboy does original, Color and GBA games; I even tested multilink cable Tertris with a Color, GBA, and another Gamecube adapter, but didn't think about checking it against an original GB. Note that certain games may not work, IIRC botokai plying with the sun - or something like that was one; also the GBA videos (mostly Pokemon episodes IIRC) don't work on the Gamecube adapter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
I've tried three times doing handheld (Wonderswan, PSP, Switch) and it never works for me. With the Switch, I've carried it with me on trains and places, but the "quick burst" gaming doesn't do it for me – when I game, my brain closes off and starts to focus on the game instead, so when I reach my destination, I'm annoyed that I need to cut off, and I'm confused and full of the game instead. I tried for a a year, and thought it worked, but in the end, I found that having the Switch with me on trains just made me stressed and wound up instead.

For me, this is why mobile games/phone games work so well for me in the same regard as yours... I can fire it up, play a level or 3 in a 30-second to 4-minute time frame, and continue along my merry way. I have games like Dungeon Hunter (a Diablo clone) and for this, this is better suited for long sessions. Never mind that game takes about 20 seconds just to load, but there's more "continuity" that isn't as better suited towards "bite sized chunks".

I thought I'd appreciate gaming like that, but it's interesting – I have to conclude that my brain doesn't. Interestingly enough, I shared this notion with a friend, who also said that he just couldn't play during commuting by the exact same reason – his normal "game focus" is couch+hours and hours, and total focus. Playing portable, he said, just stressed him, because he couldn't say when to quit. He had to keep check of the environment and people beside him, and eventually this tired him out, so he was wound up and stressed when he arrived. I feel exactly the same. I wish I would play in shorter chunks, but 5-minute sessions just don't work for me, I guess.

ljacone wrote:
First off, I love that you had a Wonderswan. Original or Color?

Color. Bought the Final Fantasy edition, and then FFII and FFIV for it.

And has, not had. I still have it, and I think it still works.

ljacone wrote:
In the 2.5 years I have had my 2DS, the games which have made the biggest impact on me are the ones which are designed to be played in small chunks -- the one which pops to mind immediately is Super Mario 3D Land.

I guess that is a big thing, actually. Most games I play on the Switch (or Wonderswan or PSP for that matter) are all games originally designed for home console use. I don't think any of them were designed for quick bursts. The closest I got was "Celeste" on he Switch, but that was annoying to play portably, because I couldn't get the best out of the controls.

For one thing, I've much noticed that 3D games seem to work less well than 2D games, on the screen. I did manage to play WonderBoy Dragon's Trap pretty nicely, mostly portably.

But in the end, I think it's also simply because of attitude. I've always loved to "sink into" my gaming, and as I have the luxury of still being able to, I guess I still prefer that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
Yes, the gamecube device that does Gameboy does original, Color and GBA games; I even tested multilink cable Tertris with a Color, GBA, and another Gamecube adapter, but didn't think about checking it against an original GB. Note that certain games may not work, IIRC botokai plying with the sun - or something like that was one; also the GBA videos (mostly Pokemon episodes IIRC) don't work on the Gamecube adapter.

Hm, maybe I should seriously try to get one, then. Checking the Wii U virtual console, I see that I can't get the GB Zelda games – Link's Awakening, and "The strange tree fruit" (Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
[q="yaverot"]

Hm, maybe I should seriously try to get one, then. Checking the Wii U virtual console, I see that I can't get the GB Zelda games – Link's Awakening, and "The strange tree fruit" (Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons).
Strange that those are not on the Wii U Virtual Console, but are available for the 3DS Virtual Console. Perhaps Nintendo doesn't think they look good blown up to a full television screen? Are there other GB games on the Wii U VC?

Also, big thumbsup for the Wonderswan, that is very cool. Never seen one in person, but they are cool for such an obscure piece of hardware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
ljacone wrote:
In the 2.5 years I have had my 2DS, the games which have made the biggest impact on me are the ones which are designed to be played in small chunks -- the one which pops to mind immediately is Super Mario 3D Land.

I guess that is a big thing, actually. Most games I play on the Switch (or Wonderswan or PSP for that matter) are all games originally designed for home console use. I don't think any of them were designed for quick bursts. The closest I got was "Celeste" on he Switch, but that was annoying to play portably, because I couldn't get the best out of the controls.

For one thing, I've much noticed that 3D games seem to work less well than 2D games, on the screen. I did manage to play WonderBoy Dragon's Trap pretty nicely, mostly portably.

But in the end, I think it's also simply because of attitude. I've always loved to "sink into" my gaming, and as I have the luxury of still being able to, I guess I still prefer that.

That is actually one of the things that surprised me about the Switch and why it is working for me. Normally handhelds offer that short burst, lots of save points style which you’ve both discussed and while that’s perfect for me, I do like to mix it up and sometimes get tired of being forced into a particular length of session when I wanted to play for longer or shorter. What I’ve found refreshing about the Switch is that it offers games which would normally only be possible for lengthy sessions at home and let’s you decide how long to play.

I can play for 2 hours or 5 minutes. With a tap of the sleep button it doesn’t make a difference and I don’t have to wait for a save point (as someone who would often get trapped at the end of a commute with no save point in sight, this is great). I almost never use the sleep function on my 3DS but I use it all the time on my Switch. Of course sometimes it’s frustrating because you want to play longer when the situation won’t allow but I like that you don’t feel artificially limited and can play whatever session suits you. And ultimately, it's just as easy to pick up again as it was to put down so I rarely feel frustrated at having to pause.

Then again, handhelds have been my primary means of gaming for years so maybe I'm just conditioned to accept broken up gaming sessions

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
Strange that those are not on the Wii U Virtual Console, but are available for the 3DS Virtual Console. Perhaps Nintendo doesn't think they look good blown up to a full television screen? Are there other GB games on the Wii U VC?

I haven't checked much. But The Minish Cap is there, so there are a lot of GBA titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
ljacone wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

I haven't checked much. But The Minish Cap is there, so there are a lot of GBA titles.
And the 3DS does not have GBA games on its VC, so maybe Nintendo is trying to avoid letting someone have a one-stop shopping experience!

There were 10 GBA games released on VC for 3DS family, but they were only available to "3DS Ambassadors" and never made available to the general public.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:
joakim589 wrote:

Have got my 2DS now.

Fantastic! Happy gaming!

How does it feel in your hand? Solid?

Yes. It feels good. A solid product!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I'd say losing the 3D part of the 3DS seems like a shame

I don't care for the 3D. So I wanted the 2D version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowman21 wrote:
The 2DS/3DS does a great job at covering the gameboy library as well with its virtual console.
You don't really need a gameboy advance or gameboy with the 3ds library. I was able to get Metroid II and all Portable zelda titles on the 2DS at great prices.

Love to get some Gameboy titles. And Metroid II and Zelda games are the ones I want most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:
And the 3DS does not have GBA games on its VC, so maybe Nintendo is trying to avoid letting someone have a one-stop shopping experience!

There were 10 GBA games released on VC for 3DS family, but they were only available to "3DS Ambassadors" and never made available to the general public.

Technically no, because they weren't released as VC titles. VC games run in an emulator and have save states, and they can be suspended to go to the home menu, and they will automatically suspend if you close the lid, and they allow the system to keep processing background tasks like notifications while the game is running.

The GBA games that Nintendo released to ambassadors don't do any of that. The 3DS runs the ROM natively on its DS CPU, which uses the same architecture as the GBA CPU and is then down-clocked to match the GBA clock speed. So it's actually more like playing a DS game on the 3DS than it is like playing a VC game. Since there's no emulator involved, there are no save states, and since the games were created for a single-tasking system, there are none of those other niceties I listed either.

So we can speculate that the reason Nintendo has never widely released these titles or released any additional titles is likely because they don't want to have this second-tier user experience with the device widely associated with the Virtual Console or the eShop. They could instead put a GBA emulator on the device and sell the games as normal VC titles. The fact that they haven't done that likely means that the 3DS doesn't have the performance to make it a good experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
ljacone wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

Maybe they couldn't bother to make a good emulator on the 3DS.

With so many Zelda games now, I'd like to complete the collection, so it's tempting to buy a GBA adapter and Link's Awakening and the "Strange tree fruit" twin games. But it won't be complete anyway (Four Swords isn't available on the eShop) so I don't think I'll bother unless I find a cheap one by accident.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
With so many Zelda games now, I'd like to complete the collection, so it's tempting to buy a GBA adapter and Link's Awakening and the "Strange tree fruit" twin games. But it won't be complete anyway (Four Swords isn't available on the eShop) so I don't think I'll bother unless I find a cheap one by accident.

Four Swords feels so different, not like a regular Zelda game. Nearly as different as the Zelda levels in Nintendo Land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
ljacone wrote:

Technically no, because they weren't released as VC titles. VC games run in an emulator and have save states, and they can be suspended to go to the home menu, and they will automatically suspend if you close the lid, and they allow the system to keep processing background tasks like notifications while the game is running.

The GBA games that Nintendo released to ambassadors don't do any of that. The 3DS runs the ROM natively on its DS CPU, which uses the same architecture as the GBA CPU and is then down-clocked to match the GBA clock speed. So it's actually more like playing a DS game on the 3DS than it is like playing a VC game. Since there's no emulator involved, there are no save states, and since the games were created for a single-tasking system, there are none of those other niceties I listed either.

So we can speculate that the reason Nintendo has never widely released these titles or released any additional titles is likely because they don't want to have this second-tier user experience with the device widely associated with the Virtual Console or the eShop. They could instead put a GBA emulator on the device and sell the games as normal VC titles. The fact that they haven't done that likely means that the 3DS doesn't have the performance to make it a good experience.

I knew there was something different about how the GBA games were handled, but I was not a 3DS owner at the time and thus was not as familiar. Thanks for clearing that up. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
ljacone wrote:
joakim589 wrote:

Have got my 2DS now.

Fantastic! Happy gaming!

Sweet!

European plays like yourself have a color I would love to have here in North America, Black and Lime, but that is primarily a function of my love of the color green! But both the orange/white and black/blue versions look sharp. The black/blue would almost match my 2DS, heh (the blues are different shades).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
I'd say losing the 3D part of the 3DS seems like a shame

I don't care for the 3D. So I wanted the 2D version.

2DS makes total sense to me because while I like the 3D, my eyes don't and I get headaches if I use it much. I can't remember the last time I turned on the 3D for more than a few minutes to see how it looked in a cutscene or something.

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:
joakim589 wrote:
ljacone wrote:
joakim589 wrote:

Have got my 2DS now.

Fantastic! Happy gaming!

Sweet!

European plays like yourself have a color I would love to have here in North America, Black and Lime, but that is primarily a function of my love of the color green! But both the orange/white and black/blue versions look sharp. The black/blue would almost match my 2DS, heh (the blues are different shades).

Ooh, I've only seen the black and blue one but black and lime sounds amazing too. But in North America you lads had the amazing lime green Super Mario World new 3DS XL, so there is that if you need to up your green quotient laugh

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kezle wrote:
ljacone wrote:

Sweet!

Ooh, I've only seen the black and blue one but black and lime sounds amazing too. But in North America you lads had the amazing lime green Super Mario World new 3DS XL, so there is that if you need to up your green quotient laugh

God bless,
Kezle

Hear hear my friend! That green 3DS is glorious!

There are so many great different colorlines and variations out there for the Nintendo handhelds, it can be hard to choose sometimes. And for the Game Boy and GBA eras, you can also buy secondary market cases to swap... I have long played with the idea of getting a Pearl Green case to swap on one of my SPs.

Related, I stumbled onto this site and am rapidly falling down the rabbit hole looking at different Game Boys and DSs...

https://www.consolevariations.com/nintendo/

It includes a picture of the awesome limited edition King of Fighters GBA which is just so wonderful.

Aside, I was reading an article speculating about 2019 being the last year of the 3DS. The crux of the argument was a lack of games announced this year, and the poor sales in Japan for the 3DS port of Luigi's Mansion. While I will be sad when the 3DS is finally done, it has had an amazing run, and the platform will have a place in my gaming space as long as the hardware continues to run.

On the PSP side, I was going to start playing Final Fantasy II as part of the 2019 VGG Challenge. So I have to say I was pretty disappointed when the game loaded, the opening movie spooled up... and then froze up about 10 seconds in. Hrrrn.

Well, turns out that my Memory Stick Duo adapter crapped out. All of the data is still on the Micro SD, so I backed it up to the laptop and ordered a new adapter. The one I had was pretty cheap, and had been giving me some occasional problems last year so this was not unexpected. I have a new one coming via eBay (should be here next week), so hopefully everything works smoothly and I can start up FFII.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:
Related, I stumbled onto this site and am rapidly falling down the rabbit hole looking at different Game Boys and DSs...

https://www.consolevariations.com/nintendo/

It includes a picture of the awesome limited edition King of Fighters GBA which is just so wonderful.

Well there goes my day

ljacone wrote:
Aside, I was reading an article speculating about 2019 being the last year of the 3DS. The crux of the argument was a lack of games announced this year, and the poor sales in Japan for the 3DS port of Luigi's Mansion. While I will be sad when the 3DS is finally done, it has had an amazing run, and the platform will have a place in my gaming space as long as the hardware continues to run.

I feel like they've been saying this for the last few years so I'm not sure what to believe. I do hope it's not the end of 'dedicated' handhelds for Nintendo, though. The Switch is great but if they let that replace everything (or at least the usual one home console, one portable lineup), I wonder what that means for the future or their consoles. Will their next console be portable in future too? I did see some articles about a potential new Switch coming out this year (figures since I just finally got one ) so maybe that would play into the future of a 3DS. A lighter, more powerful Switch with longer battery life would be a portable powerhouse. Now if only it had the same sort of library as the 3DS/DS family...

ljacone wrote:
On the PSP side, I was going to start playing Final Fantasy II as part of the 2019 VGG Challenge. So I have to say I was pretty disappointed when the game loaded, the opening movie spooled up... and then froze up about 10 seconds in. Hrrrn.

Well, turns out that my Memory Stick Duo adapter crapped out. All of the data is still on the Micro SD, so I backed it up to the laptop and ordered a new adapter. The one I had was pretty cheap, and had been giving me some occasional problems last year so this was not unexpected. I have a new one coming via eBay (should be here next week), so hopefully everything works smoothly and I can start up FFII.

At least nothing was lost! I had issues with my Vita sd card (which is super annoying considering how pricey those stupid ones for the vita are) and none of my games would load. Had to do a complete system format and lost all my save data (thankfully it wasn't too extensive at the time) which put me off the vita for a while.

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Handheld game no 2 this year. Maybe not the best. But wanted it in the collection anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Third game also a Metroid game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kezle wrote:

This is a cool color. And with Super Mario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Hope it is a good Zelda game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.