Warsong
Slay the Spire
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Limbo
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Galactic Civilizations III
Istanbul: Digital Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
RWBY: Amity Arena
Evolution
Super Mario Kart
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
The Curse of Monkey Island
Diablo II
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Star Fox 64
Donkey Kong Country
Spot: The Video Game
BMX Simulator
Phantasy Star II
Super Mario Land
Jet Grind Radio
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Brave Fencer Musashi
The Orange Box
Sonic & Knuckles
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Star Wars: Episode I: Racer
Ultima IV Part 2: "Dude, Where's My Avatar?"
NHL Hockey
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Batman (1986)
Diner Dash
Terminal Velocity
Mighty Bombjack
Kirby's Dream Land
Ristar
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
107 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: Going handheld 2019 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the better handheld Zelda games. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
One of the better handheld Zelda games. Have fun!

Sounds good. Gonna be nice playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
Bought Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Hope it is a good Zelda game.

It's supposed to be one of the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
Bought Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Hope it is a good Zelda game.

I previewed this game at a Best Buy (or was it a Game Stop?). The preview mode that Nintendo had set up was a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I may have gone onto eBay and bought a WonderSwan in Sherbet Melon color, and a complete copy of Gunpey to play on it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I have started learning Japanese on my Duolingo app again, after a BIG VACATION!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:
So I may have gone onto eBay and bought a WonderSwan in Sherbet Melon color, and a complete copy of Gunpey to play on it...

Superswan sounds like a cool machine. Will take a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elida wrote:
I have started learning Japanese on my Duolingo app again, after a BIG VACATION!

Yeah thats a good thing, so you can play those japanese games with original voices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Game no 5 in my DS/3DS collection became a Sherlock game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So my WonderSwan finally arrived from Japan.

I am astounded at how small and light this system is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:

Oh this looks so cool. Definitely interested in this machine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
ljacone wrote:

Oh this looks so cool. Definitely interested in this machine.
The design of it is very functional. It has the two D-Pads because it can be played either portrait or landscape orientation depending on the game. Gunpey, for instance, is played in portrait mode, like an original Game Boy.

I am rather fond of the color as well . Sherbet Melon was actually a special edition. It is green on the front as shown, the back is a translucent white.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:

I've always been fascinated with the WonderSwan. Such a neat little console.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought a PlayStation Vita

Model PCH-1104
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The handheld I grew up with was the Tiger Electronics brand. I had Disney movie games The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, The Lion King and Pocahontas, and various game shows. I also played handheld Ms. PAC-MAN and Tetris.

My first handheld that could play multiple games was the GBA. My first game was Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land; My second game was Ice Climber. It came to become my favorite video game device, even more than the Switch.

Speaking of Nintendo Switch, I prefer only playing it in Handheld Mode when I am on vacation because I don't want to keep draining the battery and charging it, and I like watching YouTube on the Switch, even though I just got a Smart TV with the YouTube app, I prefer using the corded Pro Controller over the TV remote to play, pause, rewind and fast forward. Another rare time I use the Switch in Handheld Mode is when I use the Stage Builder in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
*takes a breath*

I have a Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Lynx II, Game Gear, Virtual Boy (don't really consider that a portable, but it's always on lists), Neo Geo Pocket and Pocket Color, WonderSwan and SwanCrystal, 4 colors of GBA first model (with four SP screens I need to install) for GameCube use, DS, DS lite, DSi, DSi XL, PSP (two different models, but they're pretty similar), 3DS, 3DS XL in two colors, New 3DS XL, and Switch. I might have a GBA SP (I used to), but all my portables are in boxes and I don't remember. PS Vita is the only major one I skipped, though I do have a PSTV.

My least favorite of those is, surprisingly, Game Gear. I grew up with it, but nearly didn't reacquire it when I was an adult because there are just no killer apps for it. A lot of its best games are ports from other systems, and some of its original games like the Shining Force entries got ported to Sega CD. I guess Shinobi II: The Silent Fury might be its best exclusive game. Lynx doesn't have the best games either, but it has a lot of original games, so there's some decent diversity.

It's probably a tie between GBA and DS for my all-time favorites. So many great games on each, though I'd probably give the edge to GBA for having some of my favorite portable games. Astro Boy: Omega Factor, WarioWare: Twisted, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Metroid: Zero Mission, et al. Then again, DS had so much diversity... Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, Professor Layton and the Curious Village, Picross 3D, Space Invaders Extreme, Hotel Dusk: Room 215... Good thing I don't have to choose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krux wrote:
My least favorite of those is, surprisingly, Game Gear. I grew up with it, but nearly didn't reacquire it when I was an adult because there are just no killer apps for it. A lot of its best games are ports from other systems, and some of its original games like the Shining Force entries got ported to Sega CD. I guess Shinobi II: The Silent Fury might be its best exclusive game. Lynx doesn't have the best games either, but it has a lot of original games, so there's some decent diversity.
I nothing else, I saw someone play Shinobi. Reminded me of the Mega Man series since each level, you enlist a new ninja with different abilities. IIRC pink ninja has a grappling hook thing to access other areas of levels, and for shortcuts

krux wrote:
It's probably a tie between GBA and DS for my all-time favorites. So many great games on each, though I'd probably give the edge to GBA for having some of my favorite portable games. Astro Boy: Omega Factor, WarioWare: Twisted, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Metroid: Zero Mission, et al. Then again, DS had so much diversity... Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, Professor Layton and the Curious Village, Picross 3D, Space Invaders Extreme, Hotel Dusk: Room 215... Good thing I don't have to choose!
Pleased to see NO Pokémon games whatsoever on that list cool Nothing against Pokémon.. it's just not my cup of tea. However, I'm told that the series did drive a lot of sales for Nintendo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krux wrote:
*takes a breath*

I have a Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Lynx II, Game Gear, Virtual Boy (don't really consider that a portable, but it's always on lists), Neo Geo Pocket and Pocket Color, WonderSwan and SwanCrystal, 4 colors of GBA first model (with four SP screens I need to install) for GameCube use, DS, DS lite, DSi, DSi XL, PSP (two different models, but they're pretty similar), 3DS, 3DS XL in two colors, New 3DS XL, and Switch. I might have a GBA SP (I used to), but all my portables are in boxes and I don't remember. PS Vita is the only major one I skipped, though I do have a PSTV.

I am currently keeper to my Brothers Lynx, and the one me and my sister shared... I think I have my parents too. I completely agree, not the best games but a lot of diversity.
My favorites
Guantlet- for the multiplayer
Chips Challenge
Warbirds- for the multiplayer
Slime World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First game for the system became Killzone: Mercenary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Handheld in 2019 is getting an upgrade -- Switch Lite is a dedicated handheld version of the Switch.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/07/nintendo-confirms-por...

At $200, this is a pretty easy price point to get into the Switch platform. And I would like to point out that $200 is the price point for the New 3DS XL... certainly seems like this is the death knell of the 3DS Family.

Are you interested in getting a Switch Lite?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:
Handheld in 2019 is getting an upgrade -- Switch Lite is a dedicated handheld version of the Switch.

At $200, this is a pretty easy price point to get into the Switch platform. And I would like to point out that $200 is the price point for the New 3DS XL... certainly seems like this is the death knell of the 3DS Family.

Link's Awakening is my one of my wife's favorite games, so she might get on of these to have her own device to play the remake on, and in preparation for Animal Crossing next year (New Leaf being another favourite).

I'll stick with my fat Switch for now. It allows for same screen co-op on the TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:

I'm not convinced why I should want this instead of a 3DS. But then I already have the original Switch, so I don't think I have much use for the Lite as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only reason I would get a Nintendo Switch Lite is if my current Nintendo Switch stopped working, and I don't want to spend a whole lot of money to replace it. I would choose the Turquoise one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljacone wrote:
Probably for the games. It's got a larger library, more variety, and they're cheaper. AFAIK, it probably has better battery life. I reckon being it's smaller, it's easier to carry around and play on.

Probably similar to the age old question of "why get a smartphone when you can get a laptop with superior specs at the same price?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
ljacone wrote:
Probably for the games. It's got a larger library, more variety, and they're cheaper. AFAIK, it probably has better battery life. I reckon being it's smaller, it's easier to carry around and play on.

Probably similar to the age old question of "why get a smartphone when you can get a laptop with superior specs at the same price?"
I agree that 3DS family is still a great platform, it's my personal favorite current platform. But with this pricing, I think it is pretty clear that Switch will be Nintendo's only supported platform in the very near future.

Unless the 3DS family gets a price cut and is aimed solely at kids? That's a possibility...

As far as battery life, none of the 3DS family have exceptionally good battery life, so I do not know if that is actually a factor. Switch Lite has slightly improved stated battery life over OG Switch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.