Popular Tags: [View All]
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only handheld I have so far is a PSP. Thought I could have as a goal this year to get some more handheld consoles and games.

So, began by buying a Nintendo 2DS XL. Bought it from an online retailer today.

Also looking for buying a Nintendo Gameboy Advance 101. Edit: Have bought this on ebay.

And a Playstation Vita. Can't found those on any retailer. So maybe need to go to ebay. Edit: Have bought this on ebay.

Maybe I also would buy a Sega Gamegear.

And a Atari Lynx 2nd edition. Edit: Have bought this on ebay.

What is your ideas for handheld 2019?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to have a GameGear when it was out. It was only okay...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one Gamegear too. Thought it was a good machine. But the problem was the poor game selection for it, if I remember correctly. But anyway have some fond memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess my only `hand held` is my phone. I have Evolution, Onirim and other small games on in. Most of my video gaming happens on my laptop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I'm doing some gaming on my cellphone as well. But I also like those handhelds and the cute game boxes they have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I have previously owned a Atari Lynx and Nintendo Gameboy. Currently the only handhold I own is my Samsung Galaxy S6. I use the Android device regularly for gaming.

I plan on playing Monument Valley during 2019 for my Hardcore Challenge, will probably continue playing Super Mario Run and may or may not play other games. Unfortunately there aren't very many appealing Android games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Atari Lynx, I had one of these as well back in the days. Think it was the first edition, so huge. Would have been cool to have a Atari Lynx, a second edtion one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my brother's old PSP with Castlevania X Chronicles that I would like to try out, but otherwise I do all handheld gaming on my phone. I have Chrono Trigger, Civilization Rev 2, Baulder's Gate II: Enhanced edition, and XCOM: Enemy Within to play right on it right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ive owned GameBoy and DS GB Advance. I’ve missed out on several Nintendo games I wanted to play on later Nintendo handhelds. I don’t really feel like I’ve missed anything on the Sony handhelds, especially since Sony tends to eventually port them to console. My advice to you would be to buy based on games you want to play rather than just buying them all.

Edit: corrected
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes definitely I go with Nintendo first. Want to play Zelda and Metroid, and maybe Pokémon and Mario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mostly Harmless
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Handheld is my primary means of gaming since I first got a gameboy. Portable, perfect for my commute, and easy to pick up for short bursts. For the last few years the 3DS and Vita have been my go to. Also got a PSP on the cheap a few years back but it never saw quite as much use.

I just got my grubby little mitts on a Switch for Christmas so now that's a new contender for top handheld. Honestly wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do but it is the portable perfection I never knew I wanted: handheld when you want it to be, on the tv when you don't. So yes, I'd say 2019 is going to be a handheld gaming year for me too laugh

The 3DS is still one of my faves though because that gets you all the 3DS games and the entire library of DS games (containing some great gems like the Etrian Odyssey series).

God bless,
Kezle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kezle, is the same true for the Wii U as well? IIRC, both U and Switch have a handheld screen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
I had one Gamegear too. Thought it was a good machine. But the problem was the poor game selection for it...
What about the crazy thirst for batteries that thing had?

Well, if you have fond memories of it, that's cool, that's the main thing!

Previously owned a GBA, PSP, DS (and probably other consoles with acronym titles ). Currently got old school Game Boy, PSP, DSi. The one I like best is my PSP.

Controversial question time: Is the Switch a handheld, or a home console? I see someone's already answered this above...

Can't go wrong with WarioWare for GBA or Super Mario Odyssey for Switch. Quite enjoy Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters for PSP, but ymmv.

I apologise for the (assumedly) erratic, scatterbrained and silly nature of my response. Normal service will resume... one day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Kezle, is the same true for the Wii U as well? IIRC, both U and Switch have a handheld screen

No, the Wii U tablet is just a controller and has to remain in range of the console to be functional. You can't take it around town and use it on its own. You can, however, use it as a primary screen so that the television screen is unnecessary. With the Switch though, the tablet is the console, and you can take it wherever you want.

The Switch is essentially what the Wii U should have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
wizcreations wrote:

No, the Wii U tablet is just a controller and has to remain in range of the console to be functional. You can't take it around town and use it on its own. You can, however, use it as a primary screen so that the television screen is unnecessary. With the Switch though, the tablet is the console, and you can take it wherever you want.

The Switch is essentially what the Wii U should have been.
Ah, thanks. Now if only you could undock the Switch and still have it broadcast to the TV...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to have a Game Boy back in the early 90s

Last decade, I played numerous games on Palm OS (mainly, the Palm Tungsten T3)

Otherwise, my only handheld these days is really Mobile... LG G4 (Android), Ipod Touch 5/Ipad Air (iOS/Ipad).

I'll have to reevaluate whether or not "I really want" to get into Nintendo's handhelds (e.g. 3/2DS should be even more affordable than ever). I'm less open to getting Switch since I still have Wii games on backlog (yes, Wii, NOT Wii U). On 1 hand, I can afford it, and just forsake the backlog. OTOH, I still got plenty to keep me occupied.

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ME... handheld is pretty much also console, as usually, when I'm out, I'm doing "outdoors stuff"... e.g. work, grocery shopping, gaming at friend's house. There are very few moments where I'm away from home and have the moment to play vg (e.g. at a hotel and have nothing better to do. Even then, I'm usually watching stuff on their TV, or need to sleep ASAP, and check out soon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kezle wrote:
For the last few years the 3DS and Vita have been my go to.

It's gonna be nice when I get my 2DS. Maybe even today.

Maybe will buy a Vita later. But will try to get a Gameboy Advance before that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
Kezle wrote:

Are you talking about the tablet vesion or the folded version?

If you can get your hands on the original DS or even the DS Lite, you can play Gameboy Advance games on it. Not to mention the mod scene on it was vast!

For my part, ever since the original Gameboy, I've stuck with Nintendo handhelds with the exception of the Sega Gamegear. It was my first color handheld gaming system and I enjoyed it the little time I had with it. I lent it to a friend during his hospital stay and he lost it.

I bought the Nintendo Switch around April last year and been enjoying playing games on it. When I have enough credit, I'll purchase Nintendo Online but being online with it is not a priority since most of my gaming is solo. When the NEW Nintendo Switch comes out later this year, I'll probably upgrade to it since it will assure 3rd party support will continue to be strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oni no board wrote:
joakim589 wrote:
Kezle wrote:

If you can get your hands on the original DS or even the DS Lite, you can play Gameboy Advance games on it.

Talking about the folded 101 version with backlight.

Ok. I have bought a 2DS now. And the plan is to also buy a Gameboy Advance so I can play Gameboy, Gameboy color and Gameboy Advance games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
And the plan is to also buy a Gameboy Advance so I can play Gameboy, Gameboy color and Gameboy Advance games.
The very last model of the GBA SP had a backlight instead of side lighting. If you get one of those it will offer the best quality picture for GB and GBA games. Although expect some to have garish colours if they are old GBA games that predate even the first iteration of the GBA SP, and thus have garish colour choices to compensate for the awful screen on the original GBA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
Oni no board wrote:
joakim589 wrote:
Kezle wrote:

If you can get your hands on the original DS or even the DS Lite, you can play Gameboy Advance games on it.

Ok. I have bought a 2DS now. And the plan is to also buy a Gameboy Advance so I can play Gameboy, Gameboy color and Gameboy Advance games.

I've been looking to get a GBA (the wide one rather than the flip) but keep getting told that I should get a modded one with the back lighting. But really most of my play is indoors, so is it really that huge a concern?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
urbaer wrote:
joakim589 wrote:
Oni no board wrote:
joakim589 wrote:
Kezle wrote:

I've been looking to get a GBA (the wide one rather than the flip) but keep getting told that I should get a modded one with the back lighting. But really most of my play is indoors, so is it really that huge a concern?

Backlight is so nice to have.

Not sure if the old wide edition had electric power cable, maybe it only use batteries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
urbaer wrote:
I strongly advise against an original GBA. If you want that form factor, then definitely consider getting a modded version with a backlight. Otherwise, look for the late-era GBA-SP models that were made with a backlight. It can be hard to tell when shopping second-hand though, as they don't look that different from the version with side lighting.

Lastly, there is just getting any old GBA-SP (which is what I have). Even if you only play indoors, it is a massive upgrade over the original GBA (which I used to have, but the screen really is awful).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think it is GBA-SP 101 you should go with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found my GBA SP and games a few weeks ago, so I have been playing that. The backlighting is fantastic. I also have a PSP, but I can't see anything on it if I try to play outside (weird, because that system is like 4 years newer). I'll probably play something on it this year also.

I also found my old GameBoy Color, but it had corroded batteries in it. I want to clean it up and see if it still works after that. If it does I'm probably sell it or give it to my niece with the only game I own for it - Pokemon Blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |