Tales of Graces
Darkest Hour: A Hearts of Iron Game
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: VGG QotD, 5 January 2019: What do you want to do LESS of this year? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
New Year's resolutions often involve breaking bad habits or giving things up--junk food, booze, or whatever. Are there any gaming habits you'd like to be done with? Detours you've taken and regretted? Time sinks you're determined to get free of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to stop trying to get something for nothing in gaming. Though I know it can't be done in real life, for some reason I've always irrationally expected to achieve brilliant success in games without putting any effort into it.

In a way, it seems like that's what games are for. Play a wargame, and you're a great military captain. Play an RPG, and you're a mythical hero. You can be something great without actually being that great, because it's just a game--a fantasy.

But a good game is challenging, so you have to work at it just as you have to work for anything else worthwhile. The work and achievement can be satisfying, but it's frustrating if you approach it the way I often have--expecting automatic success just because I'm playing the role of big shot.

So my resolution is to get less caught up in the fantasy role and learn to enjoy and appreciate all the ups and downs, all the challenges and accomplishments, all the learning opportunities, all the gradual skill building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to spend less time buying new games and enjoying some of the other games I've bought or even received free over the last couple of years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
I want to spend less time buying new games and enjoying some of the other games I've bought or even received free over the last couple of years.

Likewise. It's my plan to try and avoid even visiting sites that sell games unless it's because of a giveaway I've learned about elsewhere, and even then only for as long as it takes to claim the freebie and get out of there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to worry less. Probably not going to happen, but it would be useful if it did!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:

Mainly this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Dyke
England
London, England.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:
GibbRS wrote:

Mainly this.

Seconded.

I'm on Xbox. With Games With Gold, Game Pass and EA Access I have over 130 games installed on my HD.

I still haven't finished The Witcher 3 and all DLC is my burden. But I just bought a 4k TV, Xbox One X and Red Dead Redemption 2, so I'm deep in that at the moment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I'd like to eat less fast food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Less of playing a game I don't care about in a window to kill time. Gaming should be a fun activity I fully invest myself in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Less Warframe is pretty much a given, I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Less of playing a game I don't care about in a window to kill time. Gaming should be a fun activity I fully invest myself in.

Easier said than done. Even if you steer clear of know time killers, that's no guarantee. Sometimes it can take a while for a game to fully click, so even with the best of intentions you can end up killing time hoping for the game to get good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to get less angry when I play video games. Not to get annoyed when things don't go my way, but just to treat it as an enjoyable journey rather than a place I'm trying to get to or a set of tasks I'm trying to complete.

One example was when I played Shadow of the Tomb Raider,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
there are these fast zombies that are really hard and annoying to fight since you can't turn quickly and Lara's melee is useless. Also Lara can't shoot while running away like Nathan can. But I just need to relax and think of it as a puzzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Please remove your cursor from my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Echoing what a few others have said, I want to buy fewer new games and focus on my nauseatingly large backlog of games. Six days in, so far so good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to say that I would spend more of my time on what I want to do and less chasing what others want from me.

But I've already entered 31 games in the database and set up a hardcore challenge list.

So I'm not very good at keeping that promise to myself. At least I didn't make half my hardcore challenge Tell Tale Walking Dead games to fit into the 301-400 challenge as I was tempted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xethair wrote:
Less Warframe is pretty much a given, I'd say.

Warframe and Hearthstone are certainly the two games I play in-window while watching Netflix or otherwise wasting time on the Internet. This year I'm going to try to play Warframe mostly when I can play with friends, and otherwise try to opt for full-screen games I'm investing the time to immerse in instead. (Still gonna grab those login rewards though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my resolutions for this year are what I want to do MORE of, instead of less...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Most of my resolutions for this year are what I want to do MORE of, instead of less...

So do less of doing less?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

So do less of doing less?

Heh... the older I get, the less free time I actually have...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dario Delfino
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about less... eating? Does it count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From a videogaming perspective, I'd like to buy less new games and play the ones I have.

Even MORE than that, I'd like to step back some from my persistently playing of FPS/Shooters/Battle Royale games. All I seem to do on my time off is either play Siege (and usually half the time I'm annoyed at it), Ring of Elysium (again, about a third of the time I'm annoyed at it), or some other generic shooter.

I need to cut back on all of them as I have some amazing SP games waiting to be played. HOWEVER, it's in playing these team-based shooters where I get my ONLY friend interactions with some online friends I have. I have no real, in-person, local friends here, and I guess I need or overly appreciate the social interaction, which I don't get in daily life (other than friendship with my wife, which is great, but she doesn't as intensely share my love for videogames as I do).

So I suspect my addiction to or persistence in playing these games is tied to the fact that while playing I get to enjoy the experience of hanging out with a friend, something long-absent from life these past several years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally understand, Tony. Easy to get sucked into those endless madly multiplayer VGs. Sounds like the ideal would be more immersive and well-crafted single-player videogames, and then finding some in-person folks for boardgaming. I know I felt very lucky when I found a local Meetup group a few years back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

I was thinking of doing a follow-up QotD asking what people what to do MORE of. But I think those who wanted to already answered that in this thread.

Two sides of the same coin: we do less of one thing so we can do more of another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thread below this one in my subscription list right now is the "What are you drinking right now?" thread from BGG RSP.
Maybe that's a sign.

Nawwwwwwww.

What I want to do is less sitting in my house and more tiring my house apart for some random remodel project. I miss tearing stuff apart and building stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's only January 7th, but I've already had some pretty good success. I've finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider, a game I've put down a couple of times since it's launch to play other new games I'm purchased. I also went back and got back into Yakuza Kiwami 2, a game I put down a couple of months ago, even though Yakuza is one of my favorite game series ever. I'm hoping to finish that up in the next week or so.

My next big game purchase is Resident Evil 2 (2019) (Remake), which comes out near the end of January. I'm most likely going to pass on Kingdom Hearts III. I want it, but I think it's mostly hype getting to me because I never finished KH2, and I haven't played the 17 other random games between KH2 and KH3 (exaggerating slightly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
Lurkfish wrote:
What I want to do is less sitting in my house and more tiring my house apart for some random remodel project. I miss tearing stuff apart and building stuff.

Ditto here, though its more like start fewer new things until i finish all the random remodel projects i've started the year before. whistle

Gamewise, Im still wanting to reduce the time I spend on completion percentages and trophies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.