Realm of the Mad God
Tales of Hearts
Tales of Graces
Darkest Hour: A Hearts of Iron Game
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to promote some discussion for the fun of it, I thought I'd do a series of forum posts based on the 53 genres listed in VGG.* Here's a GeekList of all 53 threads.

This thread's genre: Stealth

Listed below are the top-ranked games in this genre. How does the list fit with your experience?

Have you played any of these games? Which ones? Do you agree or disagree with the ranking? How would you rank the games listed? Are there other games in the genre that you think should be in the top ranks?

And by the way, what do you think of this genre in general?

The Last of Us
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Thief II: The Metal Age
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dishonored
Thief: The Dark Project
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

*In case you don't know how to find the VGG genres and rankings, hover over Browse at the top of the screen, then click Genres. Click a genre, and scroll down to Linked Items. Click the Sort window, and sort by Rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enjoy some homing fireballs!
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huuuuuge stealth game fan.

Dishonored and Thief 1 should be higher on that list (read: they should be the top two). Those two eclipse everything else by a huge margin. MGS 3 and Thief 2 are both also excellent games; most of the rest of that list is varying shades of bad.

The problem with describing stealth as a "genre", though, is choosing when a game goes from being "an action game with stealth as an option" to being "a stealth game". For instance, System Shock 2 shares a stealth system with the Thief games, and The Evil Within has a stealth system very similar to The Last of Us, but no one considers those to be stealth games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Dishonored and AC:BF. Syphon Filter 2 was pretty good too back in the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
The only one I've tried is Thief: The Dark Project. I didn't stick to it long enough to find out how well I'd like it. It was fascinating at the time, when it was new. Probably too tense for me, as I vaguely recall.

I don't mind games with stealth aspects to them, though. I like submarine sims, and I've enjoyed what little I've played of Invisible, Inc so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cynical wrote:

The problem with describing stealth as a "genre", though, is choosing when a game goes from being "an action game with stealth as an option" to being "a stealth game". For instance, System Shock 2 shares a stealth system with the Thief games, and The Evil Within has a stealth system very similar to The Last of Us, but no one considers those to be stealth games.

I agree with your stated premise, but disagree with a key example:
I consider System Shock 2 to be a stealth game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Please remove your cursor from my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually played all of those games except Dishonored, but it's on my "to-play" list. I could ramble on all day about how much I love the MGS games. Oddly enough, despite my love of the series, I'm not a huge fan of other stealth games for some reason. I don't dislike them, but I'm rarely interested in playing them these days. Stealth elements are okay, but if the whole game centers around stealth, I tend to avoid it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit that stealth one of my least favorite gameplay mechanics. At least, the version where you have to time your movement based upon the walking pattern of a series of enemies. I find it frustrating when I fail and not particularly satisfying when I succeed. More often than not, I end up getting caught and turning the situation into a blood bath.

However, I loved MGS, despite the stealth elements. Maybe because stealth was only a small part of it and all the other parts were so good, and it was one of the first stealth games I experienced. I also loved Dishonored because of the Blink skill which made stealth so much easier to accomplish.

But the stealth bits in Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Alpha Protocol killed those games for me. And I really wanted to like the Metal Gear sequels, but I couldn't get into those either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like stealth games a lot. I don't like the Assassin's Creed games I've played, but the Deus Ex and Dishonored games are some of my favorites. I haven't really played any Metal Gear game since Metal Gear Solid, which I remember being fun but it isn't really stealthy enough to be a "stealth" game, in my mind. The Hitman games are some of my favorite stealth games, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played most of those games. The order I would put them in:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dishonored
The Last of Us (although I need to revisit this)
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid
AC: Brotherhood
MGS2
MGS4

Haven't played Thief II, and haven't played the original Thief since it was new, and hardly remember it.

The Last of Us is very good "stealth lite" but not as deep as the other games on here. MGS2 and MGS4 are very polarizing games, and their stealth gameplay is not very relevant to the reactions they get.

AC: Brotherhood is not the highest ranked AC on this website, so LOL at that. Although, it does have the best "pure stealth" missions in the series, even if they are a minor element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.