Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: Your Experiences versus VGG Rankings, by Genre: RPG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to promote some discussion for the fun of it, I thought I'd do a series of forum posts based on the 53 genres listed in VGG.* Here's a GeekList of all 53 threads.

This thread's genre: RPG

Listed below are the top-ranked games in this genre. How does the list fit with your experience?

Have you played any of these games? Which ones? Do you agree or disagree with the ranking? How would you rank the games listed? Are there other games in the genre that you think should be in the top ranks?

And by the way, what do you think of this genre in general?

Chrono Trigger
Mass Effect 2
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Planescape: Torment
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Final Fantasy VI
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Fallout 2
Star Control II
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

*In case you don't know how to find the VGG genres and rankings, hover over Browse at the top of the screen, then click Genres. Click a genre, and scroll down to Linked Items. Click the Sort window, and sort by Rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Deiland is an RPG game. Till now it hasn`t really got a ranking, it seems. I`m the only one who has rated it. And I just rated it up one.

Too bad it doesn`t get more attention. It`s a beautiful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes are back.
badge
The rotation of earth really makes my day.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played about half of these. Skyrim tops the list for me. Like most of the ones on this list, the RPG element is combined with a sandbox element to allow for more control over the game. In fact, so much time is spent in the sandbox world that the main story line is often not completed! And anytime a different way to play (class, race, etc) is added, it made the RPG a much better experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a lot of RPGs including most of the ones on that list. I know nothing about Star Control II. Is it really an RPG? I hadn't gotten into RPGs when I had my SNES, so I don't have the same sense of nostalgia for Chrono Trigger that others do, but I imagine it was mind blowing at the time. Same goes for Final Fantasy VI.

If I had to pick 10 favorites (excluding SRPGs and only one game per series), it would probably be these:

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - Easily at the top of the list.
Final Fantasy VII - So many great games in the FF series, but this was the first one I played, and it blew me away.
Fallout 2 - The post-apocalyptic setting, the strategic combat, the dark humor, and a ton of exploration. Pure gold.
Dragon Age: Origins - To me this felt like Bioware's return to Baldur's Gate-style epic RPG storytelling.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - A Star Wars RPG from Bioware? Yes please.
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - I appreciated the ambition of The Witcher but found much of it awkward. This was a giant leap forward.
Planescape: Torment - Just amazing character-based storytelling.
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - I actually think Morrowind and Oblivion felt more RPG-like, but Skyrim was darn good.
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King - A really rich RPG experience wrapped in a light, funny, cartoony shell.

Honorable mentions to:

Mass Effect 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
Icewind Dale
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Suikoden III

(I could go on and on...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games listed, I played Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Planescape: Torment all the way through, and I played a little of Fallout.

I also enjoy the Geneforge series.

Right now, I'm still in the midst of Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, but it's been on hold for a few months.

In general, though, I have some trouble with RPGs being so long and designed to get incrementally tougher. Also with the puzzles interspersed in them. I'm so impatient with the puzzle aspects that I almost automatically reach for a walkthrough to get me past them. Then I go along having fun--but dreading the boss battles. Every now and then I get stuck in a particularly tough fight, and it's frustrating. In Icewind Dale, I had to resort to lowering the difficulty level for the final boss battle, as I just couldn't win it. It's hard for me to keep playing a game when I know it's sure to grow ever more difficult and might become impossible.

Also, I don't like save scumming, but it pretty much has to be done in a long RPG. I'd never have the patience to start all over every time I lost my leader or whole party in a tough battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played half of the top ten, but finished none of them (doesn't help that 2 are in storage cry)

Of course, there are a ton of great games that don't make the top 50 in the genre, like Child of Light & Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete (both of which I love).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, this is a pretty decent list, although the only games on the list I have had any experience (heh) with are Chrono Trigger, Skyrim, FFVI, Star Control 2 and KOTOR.

shelflife3000 wrote:
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - I actually think Morrowind and Oblivion felt more RPG-like, but Skyrim was darn good.

This.

Star Control 2 as an RPG is... controversial. There's a blog on RPGs where I think there's been discussions, whether or not Star Control 2 qualifies as an RPG, or some sort of free roam sci-fi adventure with combat. I don't really think of it as an RPG, but... whatever.

I'll finish off by giving Phantasy Star IV a mention. Great game, got me into JRPGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love RPGs in all forms, so it is no surprise I love RPG video games.

Though I really love the old-school RPGs:

Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, Death Knights of Krynn, The Four Crystals of Trazere etc...

I do love the The Elder Scrolls (Core Series) games, though yes, Morrowind felt far more like an RPG than Oblivion or Skyrim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Dyke
England
London, England.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Stonekeep was probably the first real RPG game I played and I loved it, finding extra heroes to add to your party, spells and loot galore!

From this list, Elder Scrolls hands down, followed by The Witcher 3 and then the Mass Effect series.

I'd shout out Dragon Age: Origins as that was pretty cool.

Dragon Age: Inquisition was only made better by the end DLC, otherwise the ending would have fallen totally flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:

Lifelong fan of RPGs. On this list, I have not played KOTOR, Star Control II, or Planescape (sad face).

I dislike The Witcher 3, and love the rest of the games on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard for me to group JRPGs and Western RPGs into the same grouping, as I feel they're very different types of games.

JRPGs have defined a considerable amount of my gaming life, so this is probably my most popular category.

I have fond memories of the SNES JRPGS; Chrono Trigger, FFVI, Secret of Mana, and Breath of Fire I and II.

The Playstation 1 is where my love of JRPGs became a bit of an obsession. Suikoden, Wild Arms, FFVII-IX, Grandia, Lunar, Tales of Eternia, Star Ocean 2, SaGa Frontier, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, etc.

For Western RPGs, I've played some fantastic games, but I've also missed some really good ones. Same as John, I haven't played Planescape, which is supposedly amazing. I did put a lot of time into Skyrim and the Witcher games, as well as the first Dragon Age (never played the sequels for some reason). I never tried any of the X-Com games, although I have played some of the earlier turn-based Fallout games (but played them so long after they released that it was hard to get into them).

My current favorite sub-genre of games are tactical RPGs. There was a time when I bought almost every game I could find that seemed to fit into the grid based map with turn based RPG combat category. I've put a lot of time into Final Fantasy Tactics, but even more into the Disgaea series of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played:

Mass Effect 2 (3 times - it's ironic that this is the LEAST RPG-like of the Mass Effect games!)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (17 hours only, but I did play 98 hours of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion so far)

I mostly like RPGs although open world ones can be a bit of a chore sometimes. Also I tend to dislike towns and cities though and prefer to spend my time in the wilderness. Other ones I really like are:

Xenoblade Chronicles (120+ hours)
Mass Effect Trilogy (i.e., the whole arc, played 3 times 150 hours each)
Final Fantasy X
NieR

There's quote a lot of crossover with action games these days, like

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Horizon Zero Dawn and even
Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played and like all of these. Witcher 3 would probably be my favourite; FF VI and KotOR tied for least favourites, although still good games.

Star Control II is a game I still enjoy revisiting - it's really exceptional. It seems odd to call it an RPG, though. This is the first time I've seen that done. From what I recall, the original Star Control was kind of a strategy game, only with ships that fought in real-time ship-to-ship combat. The second game mixed the awesome ship combat from the first game (with lots more ships) with a space exploration adventure game (adventure games being pretty big back then). It's a "role-playing game" in the sense that one plays a role - although by that light, so is virtually every video game ever, with some non-RPGs involving more "role-playing" than is evinced in many actual RPGs. So I don't think that account captures how the term is normally used. If by "RPG" one means having a family resemblance to a set of games that can, in the main, trace their inspiration back to Ultima III or something along those lines, Star Control II doesn't fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.