Realm of the Mad God
Tales of Hearts
Tales of Graces
Darkest Hour: A Hearts of Iron Game
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to promote some discussion for the fun of it, I thought I'd do a series of forum posts based on the 53 genres listed in VGG.* Here's a GeekList of all 53 threads.

This thread's genre: Real-Time Strategy

Listed below are the top-ranked games in this genre. How does the list fit with your experience?

Have you played any of these games? Which ones? Do you agree or disagree with the ranking? How would you rank the games listed? Are there other games in the genre that you think should be in the top ranks?

And by the way, what do you think of this genre in general?

StarCraft: Brood War
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
StarCraft
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne
Crusader Kings II
Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
Company of Heroes
Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion
Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty

*In case you don't know how to find the VGG genres and rankings, hover over Browse at the top of the screen, then click Genres. Click a genre, and scroll down to Linked Items. Click the Sort window, and sort by Rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally like RTS. I'm not THAT great at it, but it's one genre I'm happy to play and try out.

Interestingly enough, most of the RTS I've played were by Blizzard, and on this list...

StarCraft
People weren't kidding.. once you play this game, you don't do your homework or go to work for weeks No joke, I think I almost failed out of school b/c of this (though still, good times :\ ). Intriguing storyline with a good blend of micro, macro, and tactics.

I'm huge sci-fi fan, and especially like its subgenre of "humans, bug-like aliens, and high-tech aliens". Here, it's Terran, Zerg, and Protoss. Halo had UNSC, Flood, and Covenant. Alien Vs. Predator had humans, Aliens, and Predators.

StarCraft: Brood War
Pretty much same as my comments with Sc1, but more of a good (and bad) thing

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
I played through this campaign mode, did some Arcade/custom games. I ended up catching the FMV cut scenes on YouTube to figure out how the storyline ended. A shame they didn't introduce a 4th race, but.. for balance. Still, they ended up with "sub-races"/variations in the campaign mode at least.

Coop mode was introduced only years past, which I still play today (at a vg lounge though) and they def. have these variations of gameplay styles (for example, they're both Zerg commanders, but Zagara is truly Zerg-like.. units are created VERY quickly and expendable, while Abathur plays more like a Protoss... he's much slower to start off, but his units are very powerful).

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
I’m sure I’d like the entire series, but it was never a priority is all. I only played through this b/c a roommate let me borrow this. Much like with Blizz’ other titles, this was fun too. Storyline was half decent. One “unrealistic expectation” was I played this movie first, then went to see the first Lord Of The Rings movie. I was expecting to see Gandalf keep shooting chain lightning like how a modern soldier is constantly firing from his machine gun. Also expected him to spam spells. NOPE! Turnes out, lore-wise, he’s not allowed to do that!

I've seen Company of Heroes played at a friends house. Odd that the game uses "actual dice", but it was nice to see a visual representation of non-deterministic combat damage, rather than just see the result without "any of the work being shown"

For reference, I've also played Star Trek: Armada 1 & 2, Battle Realms, Populous (SNES).

I've tried out a bit of Populous: The Beginning and Halo Wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enjoy some homing fireballs!
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance or Total Annihilation here makes me a sad panda.

WC3:RoC is a rather strange thing to see anywhere near a top 10; consensus among players was that it was so broken mechanically that TFT had to be a radical overhaul of the whole game in order to make it something worth playing.

StarCraft 2 is a shining beacon of mediocrity. The most white-bread RTS ever, and the one that arguably finished off the dying genre by convincing people that the only reason an RTS could ever be worth playing was just as a way to measure one's e-penis, by climbing the competitive ladder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes are back.
badge
The rotation of earth really makes my day.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played most of these. I really enjoyed Company of Heroes and long to play it again (I can seem to get it to run on my current system). It has a wargame feel that scratches that itch for me. I feel it should be rated higher. However, I'm a big AOE fan and my family plays together on LAN parties. AOE is very accessible and much simpler to learn and master, which retaining depth and variety of strategy. I like it more than the other games, but I can see it residing where it is due the the deeper strategies and richer worlds in the other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played StarCraft: Brood War. Good game. I'm normally a TBS guy, but I got on an RTS kick a year or two ago and tried several of them.

I like Dungeon Keeper, and I think Battle Realms is sadly neglected.

Lately, though, I'm back to playing turn-based games instead. They just seem to suit me better.

I do like the way RTS games focus pretty squarely on warfare, though. There's resource gathering and production, but it clearly serves the purpose of building and maintaining armed forces for battle. An exception is Stronghold HD (and probably other games in that series), where there's a more complex economic system to deal with. For me, the simpler the economic system, the better. I don't really want to have to deal with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've dabbled in RTS games... From the list I've played Warcraft III Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne.. and I played Dune II back in the day. Dune II was excellent for its time, but I tried to play it again a year or so ago and it was sooo painful..

Sad that none of the Dawn of War Games are listed in the top 10.. they were brill... Company of Heroes is another series I expected to see.

I've recently played Offworld Trading Company which takes Real Time Strategy in a slightly different direction... it's all economic, no warfare (though some sabotage). I'm not good at it, but I do enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Warcraft 3, but not a lot of others in the genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Merry Xmas...
badge
...and a Happy Newyear!
mb
Love this genre!

About the top 10 you listed:
- Currently replaying Starcraft (I). Still fun, but starting to show its teeth.
- Company of Heroes is my favorite RTS. Thanks Wytefang
- Crusader Kings II. Went it. Did the tutorial. Was thrilled. Started a game. Only woman in entire Europe which would marry my king was a quite good match I thought, landwise, but got me -100 respect. Lost interest and deinstalled.

RTSs I like and not on this list:
Company of Heroes 2, but 1 is better
Stronghold: Crusader, still play it. Alone, or with my son, or with my son and wife.
Wargame-series: European Escalation, AirLand Battle and Red Dragon. Like them a lot, though I feel like you spend too much time rushing reinforcements onto the field and therefore less strategically using what you already have.
Total War series! None in the top 10?! Shogun 2 is my favorite. Currently have one campaign running and one campaign in TW:Napoleon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.