p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to promote some discussion for the fun of it, I thought I'd do a series of forum posts based on the 53 genres listed in VGG.* Here's a GeekList of all 53 threads. And a POLL.

This thread's genre: Point-and-Click

Listed below are the top-ranked games in this genre. How does the list fit with your experience?

Have you played any of these games? Which ones? Do you agree or disagree with the ranking? How would you rank the games listed? Are there other games in the genre that you think should be in the top ranks?

And by the way, what do you think of this genre in general?

Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
The Curse of Monkey Island
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Grim Fandango
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Full Throttle
Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
The Longest Journey

*In case you don't know how to find the VGG genres and rankings, hover over Browse at the top of the screen, then click Genres. Click a genre, and scroll down to Linked Items. Click the Sort window, and sort by Rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Cell phones.
badge
What do prisoners use to call each other?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and Sam and Max when they first came out. I was blown away by the story in both FT and GF. The mood and music sold those games for me and almost hide the "point and click" aspect of the game that was the Monkey Island games, which I played later and enjoyed, but not as much. Both FT and GF were just too short for me. I wanted more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played three games on the list: Indiana Jones, Grim Fandango, and Broken Sword. I enjoyed the stories and art and dialogue in all of them, but this is the sort of game I'd only play with a walkthrough or hint book handy. Otherwise I'd get stuck on puzzles I'd never be able to solve, and it would just be a frustrating mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, point-and-click adventure games. This is, above all others, my favorite video game genre.

I have played so many, and intend to play a great many more. Last year I finally got around to playing Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers and it was amazing! Just what I'm looking for in my adventure games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a genre I would explore more if I had more time. The story is what pulls me in, especially if the immersion is good.

The main one that comes to mind that I have played is Under a Killing Moon.

Edit: Silly me. I have also played Star Trek 25th Anniversary (Amiga/DOS/Mac). Being a fan I quite enjoyed this though I could have done without the ship battles, not because I dislike fighting in ST but because they are Action as opposed to the main Adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the following and they were great!
Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle
Nice humor, and I'm often a fan of time travel genre/trope

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
I enjoyed all of the movies in the franchise. Less so Crystal Skull. I liked how having 3 different modes of play provided some nice replayability...
-wits mode is more puzzle based
-another where you need to be more sneaky
-a combat mode where you do a lot of fist fits
Akin to Karateka, but here, you had low, med. and high punches, as well as 3 levels of blocking as well. If it got too rough, you could press '0' on the numpad to sucker punch your enemy for an instant win. No IQ pts are given though in that case

Story was overall on par with the movies

Sam & Max Hit the Road
FREAKING HILARIOUS! I forgot how this ended, so I'm off to watch a replay or read a synopsis! wow Furthermore, I never knew this was an animated show!

Full Throttle
I've only played the demo for this. Still, heard this was good
Fun fact...
If both the protagonist for FT and Maniac Mansion (Bernard Bernoulli) had a sandwich in hand, and came upon a locked door, the latter would over come that by...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
looking through the keyhole, seeing the key's on the other side
lubricate the floor with mayonnaise
slide the bread underneath
use his toothpick to poke out the key so it falls on the bread
retrieve the bread with the key on it
use key to open door

The former would overcome that by...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
eating the sandwich
kicking down the door
[Empty space to make this spoiler look less suspicious]
[More empty space to make this spoiler look less suspicious]

Also heard ALL of the games in the Curse Of Monkey Island series were great. In fact, I have a version for iOS that I should start!

Modern times, I think Monument Valley may constitute a "point and click". You eventually solve each level if you click enough times (although working out the obstacles still goes a long way).

Also, I always thought these were called "graphic adventures", but I digress.

waiting for someone to bring up Myst
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played a point and click since my childhood, but I do have fond memories of those games. They were all educational games, but Reading Blaster, Math Blaster, and Math for the Real World were all great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
waiting for someone to bring up Myst

I could... but I much prefer Riven: The Sequel to Myst if we're going to discuss the series.

Obduction continues to be a disappointment... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial reaction is "Why are there no Sierra games?" I always regarded Sierra as the king of the genre.

In general, I love Point and Click games, but I get why they've gone out of style: With the internet there to solve all problems with a walkthrough, there's less reason to sit at a computer putting things on things until you solve a puzzle.

I've played and enjoyed the Monkey Island games. I'd actually say Telltale's later Tales of Monkey Island would be better than or at least equal to a lot of the original series (they even got the voice actors back).

I played Grim Fandango, which was great visually and thematically, but I thought it jumped around between a lot of disconnected settings a bit more than I'd like. Still, I definitely think it belongs on the list. Though I'm a sucker for Noire.

The Broken Sword series is also good and I'm glad to see it represented. I love the characters and the puzzles were decent.

The Longest Journey ... It's an interesting concept, but it's not as well-executed as I would like. Basically, there's too much text. I love descriptions, but this is kind of in "put you to sleep" territory. Everything in that game seems to take way too long.

Alright, other games that should be represented:

HER's Nancy Drew series which are supposed to be releasing volume 33 this summer. My favorite is probably Last Train to Blue Moon or Shadow at the Water's Edge, but there's 32 to choose from. At least one of them should make the list.

The King's Quest series. I'd pick The Princeless Bride personally, though I have a fondness for Rosella. My other pick would be Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow.

Other than that, I'm partial to the Discworld series of books by Terry Pratchett, and the video game spinoffs were worthy of the original, particularly Discworld Noire.

And then there's the modern day work of Wadjet Eye Games. They have the Blackwell mystery series, that I like quite a bit, but if I had to pick for best point and click, I'd say Resonance or Primordia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
I haven't played a point and click since my childhood, but I do have fond memories of those games. They were all educational games, but Reading Blaster, Math Blaster, and Math for the Real World were all great.

I'm realizing now that this answer is wrong. I have played a point and click since childhood. Actually, I've played several of them. Zimeon made a great post about modern point-and-clicks based on our discussion about Heavy Rain and where that type of game fits in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysti_Fogg wrote:
In general, I love Point and Click games, but I get why they've gone out of style: With the internet there to solve all problems with a walkthrough, there's less reason to sit at a computer putting things on things until you solve a puzzle.

I don't think they went out of style, not with a certain sub-set of gamers.

I think that the industry moved away from them for a number of reasons, not because of the internet, but because various companies believed they couldn't make money from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
I think that the industry moved away from them ... because various companies believed they couldn't make money from them.

Money? What's money got to do with it? Don't they realize they have a sacred mission to provide us with the gaming entertainment and challenge that's best for us? Why, if money were to drive the decision-making, the whole system would be based on petty desires and addictions. How's that going to make the world a better place?

Oh, wait ...

(My rose-colored glasses just fell off. Sorry, for a moment there I forgot this is planet Earth.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Mysti_Fogg wrote:

I think that the industry moved away from them for a number of reasons, not because of the internet, but because various companies believed they couldn't make money from them.
I haven't really paid attention to them. The only ones I can think up of are how Sam & Max and Grim Fandango got reboots/remakes/sequels? on Steam.

For iOS and Android, there's Monument Valley and its sequel. You're technically not clicking a mobile phone screen, but tapping it, but I'm assuming "same difference". Fun game, even though it drew criticisms that "if you tap away at it at enough places, you'll eventually solve the level". Presentation was well done, and the story was light and thin enough that it added to the game, but you still had the option to disregard it (cutscenses were around 5s, with the final one being around 15 seconds?).

Oh, and one site mentioned it had high rates of piracy:
60% on iOS
95% on Android

FWIW, it's not just P&C games this happens to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Mysti_Fogg wrote:

Well, if you believe gaming companies, the only "profitable" games are "live services." Which ... yes, there's recurring monetization models, but it's only worth it if the game hits the big time. I only have room in my life for one MMO, maybe two, so having every company coming out with 20 of them, the market is insanely oversaturated.

Meanwhile, I have room for LOTS of single player games, including point and clicks.

But that's a whole other can of worms.

I know there's a devoted following for pretty much every genre. But I remember the point and clicks falling out of favor, and ... I recall that being as much a customer-driven shift in tastes as an industry-wide one. I may be wrong in blaming it on the rise of the internet, but I think that largely contributed. And then the console gamers got all first person shooter all over the place and good luck finding anything that wasn't an FPS for like 5-10 years. I've been told that period of gaming should be blamed on Xbox trying to build itself up as the brand of dude bros, and that may have been the beginning of the industry trying to tell gamers who they were rather than studying us and building games to suit us.

But again, I'm wandering off topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in knowing more about the rise and fall and rise again of adventure games, I recommend reading What Is Your Quest?: From Adventure Games to Interactive Books by Anastasia Salter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.