Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: Your Experience versus VGG Rankings, by Genre: MMO rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to promote some discussion for the fun of it, I thought I'd do a series of forum posts based on the 53 genres listed in VGG.* Here's a GeekList of all 53 threads.

This thread's genre: MMO

Listed below are the top-ranked games in this genre. How does the list fit with your experience?

Have you played any of these games? Which ones? Do you agree or disagree with the ranking? How would you rank the games listed? Are there other games in the genre that you think should be in the top ranks?

And by the way, what do you think of this genre in general?

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
World of Warcraft
Star Wars: The Old Republic
League of Legends
Guild Wars 2
The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar
EVE Online
Guild Wars
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

*In case you don't know how to find the VGG genres and rankings, hover over Browse at the top of the screen, then click Genres. Click a genre, and scroll down to Linked Items. Click the Sort window, and sort by Rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play MMOs. Haven't tried any on this list. I tiptoed into a couple others, but I quit just about the time I started running into other players. They wanted to form guilds and such, and I wanted to be a lone wolf; and then game play got boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of MMOs more than the execution.

I love the world building, I love exploring the world, and I love the crafting! If someone would just make a solo game based on world exploration and crafting, that would be awesome!

The interaction with other people, meh. The quests? Highly repetitive and totally not creative, especially the longer you play. After you've seen one grindy fetch-quest you've seen them all.

They tend to rely too much on other players providing the impetus to keep people invested in the game, which means the story tends to be lacking (somehow, I always expect better stories with MMOs and I'm always disappointed.)

Still, every few years I get the itch to play one again and I'll start one up... only to quit a few months later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to love playing MMOs, but they feel like chores to me now. All grinding and repetitive dailies after a certain point.

In the past, I've played WOW, Guild Wars, RIFT, FFXIV, Ragnarok Online, Neverwinter, & Elder Scrolls Online among others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, the graveyard of my past MMOs:

Florensia
Skylancer: Battle for Horizon (now defunct)
The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar
Guild Wars 2

And the one I still play now and again (start up last year after a many year hiatus):
Tibia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Please remove your cursor from my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a genre I've had much experience with. I've tried World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, and Neverwinter. There are aspects of the games that I enjoy, but I've never really had a group of friends that I played with, so inevitably I get bored and quit before I have to start paying to play.

I think I'd enjoy them with the right group of people, but they're much less fun when you're playing solo, in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
I loved MUDs but MMOs never worked for me. I think it's the players, honestly. Anything where strangers can yell crap at me is no fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
I like the idea of MMOs more than the execution.

I love the world building, I love exploring the world, and I love the crafting! If someone would just make a solo game based on world exploration and crafting, that would be awesome!

The interaction with other people, meh. The quests? Highly repetitive and totally not creative, especially the longer you play. After you've seen one grindy fetch-quest you've seen them all.

They tend to rely too much on other players providing the impetus to keep people invested in the game, which means the story tends to be lacking (somehow, I always expect better stories with MMOs and I'm always disappointed.)

Still, every few years I get the itch to play one again and I'll start one up... only to quit a few months later.

I agree with all of this. Although, I have played quite a bit of Star Wars: The Old Republic and I've really enjoyed playing it solo. The stories are great and there's a well-executed companion system. It's especially good if you're a Star Wars fan. The crafting is pretty lackluster, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly can't stand MMO's, especially MMORPG's. The gameplay for the vast majority of them is just tedious, and they want you to do tedious and repetitive tasks so you can be rewarded with something that makes the game just a bit less tedious and boring. MMOs often feature huge, living worlds, with most of it locked behind level requirements or drawn-out encounters that aren't fun. I loved the idea of MMORPGs before I actually played them. Now I hate them and everything about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.