GoldenEye 007
Bubble Bobble
Railroad Tycoon
Heroes of Might and Magic IV: The Gathering Storm
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Syberia
The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II
Disney's Aladdin (Master System/Game Gear)
Civilization: Call to Power
Super Street Fighter II
Moon Patrol
Mega Man 2
Ticket to Ride
Link's Crossbow Training
Star Wars: Rebellion
Mount & Blade
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box & Trivial Pursuit
Castle of the Winds
Frozen Synapse
Reiner Knizia's Battleline
Tanktics: Computer Game of Armored Combat on the Eastern Front
Carmageddon
Ataxx
Wings of Fury
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to promote some discussion for the fun of it, I thought I'd do a series of forum posts based on the 53 genres listed in VGG.* Here's a GeekList of all 53 threads. And a POLL.

This thread's genre: Management

Listed below are the top-ranked games in this genre. How does the list fit with your experience?

Have you played any of these games? Which ones? Do you agree or disagree with the ranking? How would you rank the games listed? Are there other games in the genre that you think should be in the top ranks?

And by the way, what do you think of this genre in general?

Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword
Civilization IV
Civilization IV: Warlords
Europa Universalis IV
Railroad Tycoon
Railroad Tycoon II
SimCity 2000
RollerCoaster Tycoon
Syndicate
Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II – Dwarf Fortress

*In case you don't know how to find the VGG genres and rankings, hover over Browse at the top of the screen, then click Genres. Click a genre, and scroll down to Linked Items. Click the Sort window, and sort by Rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised to see Civ IV prominent on this list. I wouldn't have thought of it--or some of the other games listed--as management games.

I've tried Railroad Tycoon and some of the others, and I see some great games listed. But I personally can't get into games that involve finance or business operations. When that's mixed in with other game features, I tend to ignore the business aspect--to my detriment.

I'm an old wargamer, so when I see a map and military units, I feel I know just what to do. And I'm thrown for a loop if it turns out I also have to assign jobs to workers, gather and combine resources, monitor a balance sheet, negotiate deals, research technology, and conduct diplomacy.

Because of that, I've always had trouble with Civilization and with Paradox games like Victoria: Revolutions. Also with any 4X strategy game that's much more complex than Master of Orion.

Sid Meier's Colonization and Civilization IV: Colonization are definitely a step in the wrong direction for me: they're even less about warring and more about finance.

Ironically, when war does break out in one of these games, I'm suddenly even less happy with it. I get it when war is practically the whole game, but when it's just one of many aspects of a game, I don't know how to--well, manage it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is another big genre for me.

I'm a bit surprised to see the Civ games listed. Any 4X game is going to involve a lot of management but you could also say that you have to "manage" your resource collecting and tank rushing in RTS games as well.

Anyway, Railroad Tycoon was my first and I played that heaps but found the sequels a bit disappointing. Others though like SimCity (1989) and the other sim games such as SimEarth and SimAnt kept my interest for quite a while. I still like Transport Tycoon Deluxe (or rather its open source version OpenTTD). My current game I am playing is Transport Fever which I am very much enjoying.

Then there are the other games that are a cross between strategy and management such as Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space (also now available as open source ), Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager, Earth Orbit Stations, and the city builders such as Cities: Skylines. A couple of rather humorous ones are Theme Hospital and Evil Genius. I mean seriously who doesn't want to play as an evil genius setting up his secret criminal empire to take over the world? (Actually I don't want to play as actual criminals and thugs in other games whereas I am quite happy to be run an evil spy network. Weird.)

I am NOT a fan of the current "tycoon" games which mostly involve dashing between one staff member and another trying to keep up with everything that is happening. These are again more clickfests than management strategy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.