Yoshi's Island DS
Fallout (1997)
Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Restoration of Erathia
Mortal Kombat (1992)
Pit-Fighter
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
RollerCoaster Tycoon
Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Console/PC)
Star Control II
Marvel Trading Card Game
Super Smash Bros. Melee
SimAnt
SimIsle
RoboSport
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Wild!
Alien Syndrome (1987)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
Titanic Adventure Out Of Time
Clue
Langrisser II
Lost Secret of the Rainforest
Rock Band 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Swords & Soldiers
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to promote some discussion for the fun of it, I thought I'd do a series of forum posts based on the 53 genres listed in VGG.* Here's a GeekList of all 53 threads.

This thread's genre: Interactive Movie

Listed below are the top-ranked games in this genre. How does the list fit with your experience?

Have you played any of these games? Which ones? Do you agree or disagree with the ranking? How would you rank the games listed? Are there other games in the genre that you think should be in the top ranks?

And by the way, what do you think of this genre in general?

Heavy Rain
The Walking Dead: A TellTale Game Series - Season 1: Episode 1: A New Day
The Walking Dead: A TellTale Game Series - Season 1: Episode 5: No Time Left
The Walking Dead: A TellTale Game Series - Season 1: Episode 4: Around Every Corner
The Walking Dead: A TellTale Game Series - Season 1: Episode 3: Long Road Ahead
The Walking Dead: A TellTale Game Series - Season 1: Episode 2: Starved For Help
The Wolf Among Us - Season 1, Episode 1: Faith
Indigo Prophecy
BEYOND: Two Souls
Until Dawn

*In case you don't know how to find the VGG genres and rankings, hover over Browse at the top of the screen, then click Genres. Click a genre, and scroll down to Linked Items. Click the Sort window, and sort by Rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm ... I wonder how this differs from adventure games and such. Not sure I ever even heard of this genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't notice this was a genre.

The Wolf Among Us is superb. It got me into the the Fables series. I believe Telltale were going to make another before they closed down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Hmm ... I wonder how this differs from adventure games and such. Not sure I ever even heard of this genre.

Well, in a number of ways:

- Less focus on puzzles (I'm not sure there even are puzzles)
- More focus on story
- Often story is linear and choices, if they exist, often loop back to major plot points that players can't control

I haven't played any though, so this is purely based on the description provided in the VGG database, and the narrative design book I just read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the Game of Thrones one. It is basically story choices. There isn't a whole lot of other gameplay elements.

As far as I know, no puzzles. GOT didn't have any, but you could move around the area and talk to people. At the end of the game it gave you stats as to how many other people made the same choices you did. I know The Walking Dead one has QTEs because my husband has played some of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like this genre is either Dragon's Lair type games or Telltale narrative games.

I don't like the Dragon's Lair type of game that is basically a long cartoon with quick-time-events to not instantly die.

The Telltale style adventure game is pretty good, though they are really slow paced and casual games. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but with different games/movies/books/whatever competing for my leisure time, the interactive movie game with much lower production values than some movie or show I haven't seen is probably not going to be what I pick.

I enjoyed what I experienced with my kids of Minecraft Story Mode, and I kind of enjoyed a bit of Back to the Future: the Game, though I think that game is really more of a point-and-click adventure game than an interactive movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.