Realm of the Mad God
Tales of Hearts
Tales of Graces
Darkest Hour: A Hearts of Iron Game
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to promote some discussion for the fun of it, I thought I'd do a series of forum posts based on the 53 genres listed in VGG.* Here's a GeekList of all 53 threads.

This thread's genre: Educational

Listed below are the top-ranked games in this genre. How does the list fit with your experience?

Have you played any of these games? Which ones? Do you agree or disagree with the ranking? How would you rank the games listed? Are there other games in the genre that you think should be in the top ranks?

And by the way, what do you think of this genre in general?

The Typing of the Dead
The Oregon Trail (1971)
Pokémon Snap
Endless Ocean
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?
Endless Ocean: Blue World
Big Brain Academy
The Logical Journey of the Zoombinis
Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day!
Tactical Overload

*In case you don't know how to find the VGG genres and rankings, hover over Browse at the top of the screen, then click Genres. Click a genre, and scroll down to Linked Items. Click the Sort window, and sort by Rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played any of these, but my wife used to play a whole lot of Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day!. It was her favorite DS game until her DS Lite broke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play Big Brain Academy on my DS. Some of the tests were very tricky.

Is The Oregon Trail (1971) educational? Well I guess it taught me many ways to die horribly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:
Is The Oregon Trail (1971) educational? Well I guess it taught me many ways to die horribly...

I think many people remember it as a game they got to play in school in their early years, so it seems educational in that sense.

I was in college by then, but that's what I hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a modern take on Oregon Trail you should check out Seedship.

http://philome.la/johnayliff/seedship/play

It doesn't take long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I definitely enjoyed playing The Oregon Trail (1971), I think my favorite educational game is Dinosaur Safari where you are from an alien society sent back in time to get pictures or videos of dinosaurs from different times to fill a database. You get rewarded with more time crystals for a video than a picture - but some dinos will attack you if you stand around too long!

You use time crystal to travel to different periods in history, and if you run out of time crystals before getting images of all dinosaurs you lose, but if you manage your crystals right, you can get them all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Cricky wrote:

I think many people remember it as a game they got to play in school in their early years, so it seems educational in that sense.

I was in college by then, but that's what I hear.
It's definitely educational, at least for younger people.

All of the landmarks, cities, and situations (including diseases) that you encounter are real places and real things that pioneers and migrants had to deal with.

You have to budget your money and manage your supplies and food and plan for the long trek West.

It also makes the life of an American pioneer more relatable and understandable to someone today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.