GoldenEye 007
Bubble Bobble
Railroad Tycoon
Heroes of Might and Magic IV: The Gathering Storm
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Syberia
The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II
Disney's Aladdin (Master System/Game Gear)
Civilization: Call to Power
Super Street Fighter II
Moon Patrol
Mega Man 2
Ticket to Ride
Link's Crossbow Training
Star Wars: Rebellion
Mount & Blade
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box & Trivial Pursuit
Castle of the Winds
Frozen Synapse
Reiner Knizia's Battleline
Tanktics: Computer Game of Armored Combat on the Eastern Front
Carmageddon
Ataxx
Wings of Fury
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to promote some discussion for the fun of it, I thought I'd do a series of forum posts based on the 53 genres listed in VGG.* Here's a GeekList of all 53 threads. And a POLL.

This thread's genre: Dungeon Crawler

Listed below are the top-ranked games in this genre. How does the list fit with your experience?

Have you played any of these games? Which ones? Do you agree or disagree with the ranking? How would you rank the games listed? Are there other games in the genre that you think should be in the top ranks?

And by the way, what do you think of this genre in general?

Torchlight II
Dungeon Master
Legend of Grimrock
Darkest Dungeon
The Binding of Isaac
Crypt of the NecroDancer
The Bard's Tale (1985)
Gauntlet (1985)
Phantasy Star
Dungeon of the Endless

*In case you don't know how to find the VGG genres and rankings, hover over Browse at the top of the screen, then click Genres. Click a genre, and scroll down to Linked Items. Click the Sort window, and sort by Rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkest Dungeon took me by surprise and quickly became a favorite game. It's a grind, but it's cool.

I almost bought Dungeon of the Endless. I restrained myself so as to focus on games I already own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not many games on here are classified as Dungeon Crawlers, are there?

I haven't played much of the games on the list, but I suspect there are dungeon crawlers that are categorized as something else on here (probably RPGs) and not also this category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think it's just me, but calling Gauntlet and Phantasy Star dungeon crawlers seems a little weird to me. Always thought of Phantasy Star as just an RPG, or a JRPG, and Gauntlet as... I'm not sure, arcade action game?

I assume they're on the list because Phantasy Star has those first person dungeons with the grid tile movement, while Gauntlet is nothing but adventurers roaming a large dungeon, collecting keys, potions, and treasure, fighting hordes of monsters and getting annoyed when Elf accidentally shoots the food?

I associate the term "dungeon crawler" mainly with stuff like Dungeon Master, or... Diablo, maybe?

These "Experiences vs VGG Rankings by Genre" posts are interesting, quite enjoying them. They're also teaching me that I know nothing about video game genres! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackal2k wrote:
They're also teaching me that I know nothing about video game genres! shake

I'm not sure this is a great place to learn about them, TBH. I just went with what's here in VGG, but about half the so-called genres seem iffy and ill defined to me. Also, I don't think there need be so many of them. If people would pay attention to what games have in common, instead of focusing on what makes each one unique, we could probably get by with five or ten useful genres.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite genres. There is just something so satisfying about exploring a dungeon and mowing down your enemies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only ones I have played that might fit this category are more classed as rogue-likes (horrible genre name) like NetHack and Castle of the Winds. Could still be fun if it was one which didn't require action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.