Realm of the Mad God
Tales of Hearts
Tales of Graces
Darkest Hour: A Hearts of Iron Game
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to promote some discussion for the fun of it, I thought I'd do a series of forum posts based on the 53 genres listed in VGG.* Here's a GeekList of all 53 threads.

This thread's genre: Arcade

Listed below are the top-ranked games in this genre. How does the list fit with your experience?

Have you played any of these games? Which ones? Do you agree or disagree with the ranking? How would you rank the games listed? Are there other games in the genre that you think should be in the top ranks?

And by the way, what do you think of this genre in general?

PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Super Punch-Out!!
Punch-Out!! (2009)
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames!
Pac-Man Championship Edition
Golden Axe
Ms. Pac-Man
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
The Chaos Engine

*In case you don't know how to find the VGG genres and rankings, hover over Browse at the top of the screen, then click Genres. Click a genre, and scroll down to Linked Items. Click the Sort window, and sort by Rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played any of the games listed, and I hadn't heard of half of them before I put the list together. Not my genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chaos Engine is an "arcade" game? I suppose that's fair enough, just sounds a little odd to me, for some reason.

Happy to see WarioWare get the recognition it deserves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a frozen yogurt shop my dad used to take me to as a kid that had Frogger and Pacman. That was pretty awesome.

I also played a couple arcade games at the nearby waterpark/minigolf place - I remember one was a Darkstalkers game. I liked that I could play as a little red riding hood character.

My cousin insisted Golden Axe was her favorite game and kept going on about it when we played Sega together laugh

Not really something I seek out normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess someone has to say it, but wow, what a terrible genre.

When you've got Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, the Wii entry in the Punch-out series, and Golden Axe all in the same list, maybe it's time to just start over.

(meaning in the database, not you Patrick)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the arcade scene was a late 1970s, early 1980s thing. The machines started appearing all around town, wherever I was, and they were somewhat fascinating at first. But I'd long been used to board and card games, so anything real-time felt like some other kind of amusement. I associated arcade games with pinball and other mostly mechanical gadgets.

My mom bought me an Intellivision, so I played some arcade-style games on my TV at home, but they also struck me as just a passing fad, not something I was really into.

My video-gaming life began, I'd say, around 1990, when we had a home PC and some good PC strategy games started coming out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Love this genre! My favourite arcade games are Cyber-Lip (a sci fi precursor to Meta Slug), Pengo (a cocktail cabinet classic), and Midnight Wanderers.

The VGG take on it is a bit weird, and I'd probably exclude anything that was never sold as an arcade board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I guess someone has to say it, but wow, what a terrible genre.

When you've got Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, the Wii entry in the Punch-out series, and Golden Axe all in the same list, maybe it's time to just start over.

(meaning in the database, not you Patrick)
Hear, hear. This list makes no sense!

Again, not a knock on Patrick, but this genre seems a little harebrained from a database standpoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually "Arcade" seems like an OK genre name to me: it'd refer to all the games typically found in the 1980s video arcades plus any games very much like them. Of course, there would be borderline cases--e.g., Red Baron (1980/Arcade) (the arcade game) and Red Baron (1990) (the PC combat flight sim, which is still "arcadey").

The 1980s arcade scene was so big and famous that it kinda makes sense to group games like Missile Command and Asteroids with the likes of Battlezone (1980).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I echo that this genre makes no sense at all. I have my definition of what's an "arcade" game in my head, but it's vague, and I don't expect anyone to really share it to 100%. As I see it, it's a game you play for a short blast, like a coin-op. So no saves or exp or anything. Usually a platformer or something twitchy game that's quick, and hard.

I don't even think of it as "can/could be played in the arcades", it's more like "a type of games that's quick and fast and would fit into an 80s arcade center". Which is vague at best, and includes strange game styles. I would maybe include it in a game database, but only to separate it from modern games. Also, the definition would need to be clear, so I'd hesitate.

But with the definition I have in my head, I like the genre. I sometimes just want to game something without thinking of progress, levels, skill trees, saves, story, or whatever. I just want to start from the start and try to reach the goal, and die if I fail, and then restart. It's refreshing sometimes.

My favourite arcade game ever is Wonder Boy Monster Land, and Ghosts'n'Goblins. I have never beat the latter, but I did make it to the final boss (first run). I am also very fond of Golden Axe, and I poured many crowns into those machines. Also a lot of PacLand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to be the only one around here who has never heard of Golden Axe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:

It's (from what I know) the gramps of all "go to the right, hack'n'slash the enemies that appear" style of game. Fatal Fury, Guardian Heroes and the lots.

1 and 2 was on arcade, 3 appeared only on the MegaDrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:

It's (from what I know) the gramps of all "go to the right, hack'n'slash the enemies that appear" style of game. Fatal Fury, Guardian Heroes and the lots.

1 and 2 was on arcade, 3 appeared only on the MegaDrive.

I believe II was actually a Genesis/Mega Drive only title as well. There was an arcade-only sequel called Golden Axe: The Revenge Of Death Adder, but that is not the same game as Golden Axe II.

Golden Axe is certainly one of the most popular and well regarded brawler/beat-em up games, but it did come after games such as Kung-Fu Master and especially Double Dragon (1987). It was hugely popular in the arcades and then as a launch title for the Genesis/Mega Drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.