Realm of the Mad God
Tales of Hearts
Tales of Graces
Darkest Hour: A Hearts of Iron Game
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to promote some discussion for the fun of it, I thought I'd do a series of forum posts based on the 53 genres listed in VGG.* Here's a GeekList of all 53 threads.

This thread's genre: Adventure

Listed below are the top-ranked games in this genre. How does the list fit with your experience?

Have you played any of these games? Which ones? Do you agree or disagree with the ranking? How would you rank the games listed? Are there other games in the genre that you think should be in the top ranks?

And by the way, what do you think of this genre in general?

Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
The Curse of Monkey Island
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Grim Fandango
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Heavy Rain
Journey (2012)
Full Throttle

*In case you don't know how to find the VGG genres and rankings, hover over Browse at the top of the screen, then click Genres. Click a genre, and scroll down to Linked Items. Click the Sort window, and sort by Rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes are back.
badge
The rotation of earth really makes my day.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really such a broad category that the view the top ten items as a measure of the their quality is probably a disservice to those games and the others in this category. The adventure genre consists of too many different types of adventure so these games rely on another genre to better frame their genre. We already have an "action adventure" genre, which helps narrow it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Grim Fandango for the first time ever, and I enjoyed it. I tried playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis but got fed up with it and quit.

I wouldn't play any games in this genre without a walkthrough to follow, or at least a good hint book. It's not fun for me to struggle with the kinds of puzzles that make up the game. But the artwork and stories are sometimes good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
We already have an "action adventure" genre, which helps narrow it down.

I think in this instance it's the "point and click adventure" genre that narrows things down!

Can't say I'm surprised over half the list is specifically point and click games.

That's all I have to say, tbh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackal2k wrote:
pdzoch wrote:
We already have an "action adventure" genre, which helps narrow it down.

I think in this instance it's the "point and click adventure" genre that narrows things down!

Can't say I'm surprised over half the list is specifically point and click games.

That's all I have to say, tbh.

In fact, this is practically a list of LucasArts point-and-click adventure games. Just swap out Heavy Rain and Journey (2012) for The Dig and Loom and there you go.

Now, if you want to play some great point-and-click adventure games, that's a pretty good list. I would also throw in Sanitarium, The Longest Journey, and Blade Runner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kings Quest series and Life is Strange were good. I haven't played any of the ones listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like classic point-and-click adventure games, and outside of that definition I don't think there's much point in using the term.

Of these, I have played Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, and Journey. I plan to play the remaster of Full Throttle later this year.

Sidenote: Heavy Rain, for all of its pretensions, IS basically an old school adventure game. It's solid. Not amazing but solid. Journey... maybe a bit of a different beast.

I would probably rank these: Journey, Day of the Tentacle, Heavy Rain, Grim Fandango.

Surprised none of the Myst series cracked the list. Haven't played Myst or Riven in a long time, but enjoyed both. Gone Home is better than all of this stuff and is pretty close to a classic adventure game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow, Full Throttle doesn't sound like a game that belongs in this genre. I don't know anything about it, but the name makes it sound like a racing or racing-shooting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Somehow, Full Throttle doesn't sound like a game that belongs in this genre. I don't know anything about it, but the name makes it sound like a racing or racing-shooting game.

The main character rides a harley and wears a leather jacket. I think that's the extent of it. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love adventure games! They get their name from Colossal Cave Adventure, which was later shortened to just "Adventure". So, from the start, adventure games were all text adventure games.

Then, as GUIs (graphical user interfaces) improved, many adventure games with graphics changed from text commands to point-and-click which you can see when King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown was rereleased in a remastered version as point-and-click only, and how King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella allowed both text commands and point-and-click options in the original release.

Some of my favorites:

Colossal Cave Adventure
Riven: The Sequel to Myst
The Legend of Kyrandia, Book Two: The Hand of Fate
Starship Titanic
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Please remove your cursor from my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Heavy Rain from this list, but that quickly made its way into one of my top gaming experiences of all time. I have Journey (2012), but I've yet to play it. I've heard great things about the experience though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

Oh yeah. I was always curious about that one, being a Douglas Adams fan and all, but the mediocre reviews always kept me away. I should check it out.

Text adventure could be a category of it's own. I loved all those Infocom games. Which reminds me, I also remember enjoying Zork: Grand Inquisitor quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, duh. text adventure is a category of it's own. And, of course there is also a point-and-click discussion thread.

I guess this thread is kinda redundant in that regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, forum spam!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
shelflife3000 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Oh yeah. I was always curious about that one, being a Douglas Adams fan and all, but the mediocre reviews always kept me away. I should check it out.

Text adventure could be a category of it's own. I loved all those Infocom games. Which reminds me, I also remember enjoying Zork: Grand Inquisitor quite a bit.

How could I forget! I love Zork: Grand Inquisitor!

Starship Titanic has some brilliant voice acting (Douglas Adams, Terry Jones, and John Cleese are all in it) and brain-burning puzzles. You might need a walkthrough... my husband never beat it growing up, until he met me (I have a mind formed by adventure games, so I just get their logic...) The game does suffer from some early adventure game issues - like if you forget to pick something up you can never get to the end of the game because you are missing a very important piece. And there are three possible endings, which is always nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
shelflife3000 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

The characters have stuck with me long after remembering how anything in the game actually works (except for the parrot of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:
shelflife3000 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

The characters have stuck with me long after remembering how anything in the game actually works (except for the parrot of course).

For me it's the starling puree... whenever I see a flock of birds wheeling through the sky I remember Starship Titanic and starling puree...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.