Yoshi's Island DS
Fallout (1997)
Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Restoration of Erathia
Mortal Kombat (1992)
Pit-Fighter
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
RollerCoaster Tycoon
Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Console/PC)
Star Control II
Marvel Trading Card Game
Super Smash Bros. Melee
SimAnt
SimIsle
RoboSport
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Wild!
Alien Syndrome (1987)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
Titanic Adventure Out Of Time
Clue
Langrisser II
Lost Secret of the Rainforest
Rock Band 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Swords & Soldiers
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to promote some discussion for the fun of it, I thought I'd do a series of forum posts based on the 53 genres listed in VGG.* Here's a GeekList of all 53 threads.

This thread's genre: Action

Listed below are the top-ranked games in this genre. How does the list fit with your experience?

Have you played any of these games? Which ones? Do you agree or disagree with the ranking? How would you rank the games listed? Are there other games in the genre that you think should be in the top ranks?

And by the way, what do you think of this genre in general?

The Last of Us
Super Mario Galaxy
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Katamari Damacy
Team Fortress 2
We ♥ Katamari
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
God of War II
Sid Meier's Pirates! (1987)
Mega Man X

*In case you don't know how to find the VGG genres and rankings, hover over Browse at the top of the screen, then click Genres. Click a genre, and scroll down to Linked Items. Click the Sort window, and sort by Rank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes are back.
badge
The rotation of earth really makes my day.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really such a broad category that the view the top ten items as a measure of the their quality is probably a disservice to those games and the others in this category. The action genre consists of too many different types of action context so these games rely on another genre to better frame their genre. We already have an "action adventure" genre, which helps narrow it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game on the list I've played is Sid Meier's Pirates! (1987). Good game, as I recall, but I doubt I'd enjoy it that much nowadays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty weird list, that Team Fortress II, Pirates! and Mega Man X all come under the same genre!

I don't know what else to add, pdzoch pretty much hits the nail on the head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Patrick, what are your own thoughts on the complete trainwreck that some of these genres are in terms of VGG categorization?

I can only imagine this list being met with hysterical laughter.

No amount of semantic contortions could make any two of the first five games on this list part of the same "genre." The only reason that satement doesn't extend to the entire set of 10 is because it includes two sequel pairs from the Metal Gear and Katamari series.

This is eight totally different things. I mean, I guess we've all known for years that VGG's database side includes some truly ludicrous categorization, but this is worse than anything I would have imagined if you had not posted it here. I feel embarrassed for our website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
So Patrick, what are your own thoughts on the complete trainwreck that some of these genres are in terms of VGG categorization?

Since I'm unfamiliar with most of the games in these lists, I'm probably less shocked and dismayed than you are. But as I was putting all this together yesterday, I shook my head more than a few times, wondering why some genres are subdivided so much and why so many games seem misplaced.

I suppose only some of us are classifiers. Most people probably just take one game at a time and focus on what's unique and enjoyable about it, never bothering to ask what category it falls into. Besides, if you have a favorite game, you don't want it lumped in with supposedly similar games anyway--not unless you can be sure it can beat all the competition when people make the inevitable comparisons. You don't want popular opinion judging your "best game in the world" to be only third rate.

But if it were up to me, there'd be no more than about a dozen genres, and games would be classified according to the main outstanding game-play features they have in common.

I'd rename some genres too. I don't like the name "roguelike," for example, because it hinges on a particular game (Rogue) that many of us have never played; saying another game is like it doesn't mean much in that case. Still, I like it better than "dungeon crawler," because the theme or setting shouldn't matter. FTL can be a roguelike, but it can't be a dungeon crawler because there's no dungeon.

I could go on. But as I said at the outset, I don't know enough. So I'm just shrugging and showing the VGG genres as they currently are. People can make of them what they will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
JohnRayJr wrote:

I can only imagine this list being met with hysterical laughter.

No amount of semantic contortions could make any two of the first five games on this list part of the same "genre." The only reason that satement doesn't extend to the entire set of 10 is because it includes two sequel pairs from the Metal Gear and Katamari series.

This is eight totally different things. I mean, I guess we've all known for years that VGG's database side includes some truly ludicrous categorization, but this is worse than anything I would have imagined if you had not posted it here. I feel embarrassed for our website.

I've thought this about a handful of these genre based lists. The use of "genre" seems is so broadly used in creating the categories that it would be hard to not have list like these result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Please remove your cursor from my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played The Last of Us, both of the Metal Gear games listed, TF2, and God of War II. I'm terrible at ranking games, but I can absolutely see why these titles are ranked highly in the genre. The Metal Gear Solid series is in contention for my favorite series of all time. With that said, I'm almost surprised they're ranked as highly. In particular, MGS4. I think it's an absolute masterpiece (with regards to the series at least), but it's almost like watching a movie with occasional gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
The only game on the list I've played is Sid Meier's Pirates! (1987). Good game, as I recall, but I doubt I'd enjoy it that much nowadays.

Funny enough, that is the only game of the list I do not own.

There are some good games in that list for sure. Mega Man X, God of War II.

As said earlier tho, Action is too broad of a category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
Action games are probably my favourite genre, especially when there are puzzles and platforming involved. This list is nonsense, but some of my favourites are:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (and most of the other 3D Zelda games)
Horizon Zero Dawn
Tomb Raider (2013)
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Ōkami
Darksiders II
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.