Realm of the Mad God
Tales of Hearts
Tales of Graces
Darkest Hour: A Hearts of Iron Game
J Piñata
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by a recent seasonal challenge to add 30+ games to the database one evening, I thought I'd start adding games more and more regularly after learning it's not that hard. However, currently the process goes very slowly for me. Finding several games to add for a submission challenge, adding a developer and/or publisher not listed, and other such issues pop-up to slow the process down.

Start here first (the official How To):
https://www.videogamegeek.com/wiki/page/Video_Game_Guide_to_...

The link above may turn out to be the only resource needed, but I figured it might be helpful to start a discussion/tips/pro pointers thread for fellow newbies who are less familiar with the game database submission process. A thread where the "pros (or everyday Joes/Janes)" could offer tips on how to make this process go even faster and easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Piñata
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I've discovered during the process...

Most of the time games I'm attempting to add have a developer and publisher that doesn't pull-up so I select "unknown" which slows approval process. I was given this helpful link:

https://www.videogamegeek.com/item/create/videogamecompany

I first check to see if game is even in database. If no, then proceed to add it via submission form. I check the developer and publisher real quick at bottom of form and if that doesn't pull-up then I jump over to the link provided above to add company. I then start game submission form from the top and by the time I get to the bottom for developer and publisher input it's usually finally a choice available to add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Piñata
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any pro tips, tools, links, etc to help database submission go even faster and easier?

Or general, fun, kooky submission stories?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JPinata wrote:
Something I've discovered during the process...

Most of the time games I'm attempting to add have a developer and publisher that doesn't pull-up so I select "unknown" which slows approval process. I was given this helpful link:

https://www.videogamegeek.com/item/create/videogamecompany

I first check to see if game is even in database. If no, then proceed to add it via submission form. I check the developer and publisher real quick at bottom of form and if that doesn't pull-up then I jump over to the link provided above to add company. I then start game submission form from the top and by the time I get to the bottom for developer and publisher input it's usually finally a choice available to add.

I think a lot of the 'unknown or self-published' choices for company are because people don;t know how to add one.

The option for adding a company is also located on the dropdown where you add games (along with series, hardware, franchise and characters) though I reckon most people don't select those.

I also find a company is available in the dropdown immediately after I submit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are adding a new version to an existing game you can view a current version and clone it. Though that is only faster if the details are similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Chris said; If the developers/publishers aren't popping up when you add a game you can always add it. If you know something about the company - or can quote their website that's sublime, if not it is usually enough with a user summary saying "Video game xxx" (xxx being developer or publisher - or company - whatever you feel to write).
It then should show up immediately back on the video game creation (I add missing company in a new tab).

(Self-Published) and (Self-Developed Video Game) it mainly for those games created by someone who did not make a team/studio/company - individual programmers who didn't publish their work under a company name - it had a company publishing for them. My rule of thumb is if there is a person's name as "Developed by", I add it as self-developed game. It often happened with older games, but also many smaller Steam games. Medium sized or in-house games are usually credited by either a team or development company.
When Arthur Walsh made Strip Poker: A Sizzling Game of Chance, it was more or less only him doing the work - but he created and published it as his company Artworx Software Company. In this case I wouldn't set (self-developed) as developer since he makes it by himself for himself.
Another case is when Mike Saenz made MacPlaymate he did it under his own name but has it published under a label (I think it was his own and his friend's company actually), but when he made Virtual Valerie he did it as his own company - but crediting himself. In this second case I added the company as dev and not self-dev.

Unknown I think are more for those games where you simply do not know who made this game. An example that I could use is that I have some old Mac discs with 2-3 Shareware games in them: they most likely haved but been made for that disk but gathered and put there so making those disks as a game entry I would need to add the games on the disk if they are not already there (most likely those versions aren't) but I do not know when of how they got published before that (BB maybe?) in that case I could use Unknown but I'm most cases I might consider that it was a (self-published).

Creating the company does not take much time (and give you extra . But if you don't want to create them I find it a nice courtesy to write "Developed/published by:" then someone might see it and say "why aren't the company represented" and either find out because some point after it have been created in the database, or create it.

The wrist part is how some games on Steam change developer and publisher names! I have found several examples of games I have added or seen using the Steam data, and suddenly there is another company credited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
You can create a developer publisher entry while entering a game. It is instantly available to use to enter in the fields. You don't have to wait for approval. I do it all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
One tip is if a developer or publisher isn't in the database yet, it typically means any other games they developed or published aren't in the database yet either. I've gotten upwards of 40 game entries from individual companies this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Piñata
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
One tip is if a developer or publisher isn't in the database yet, it typically means any other games they developed or published aren't in the database yet either. I've gotten upwards of 40 game entries from individual companies this way.

Nice tip for finding games to add to the database! Yah, do a search by that developer/publisher on Steam and their list of games most likely haven't been added to VGG database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this in the other thread, but it may be of use here.

I went back to an old 'haunt' where I've found games before... as others have mentioned... Big Fish Games.

If people are looking for a source of games to add, this is a pretty good source. One thing I've found however is that they don't list the release date on the game page.. so it requires a bit of digging... For every game, they create a forum, and the date of the welcome post can often be used as the release date (very occasionally these are created a few days early, so it's worth reading some of the posts and checking the dates in the review thread as well).

Big Fish tend to only be the publisher (they did self develop some games like the early Mystery Case Files, but even those now seem to be outsourced), so it might require a bit of digging to find the name of the developer.
Once you do find the developer it can often be helpful to go to the developers website for more info and more games to submit...
E.g. Eipix Entertainment now create a lot of the Hidden Object games for Big Fish, as do Elephant Games (Videogames).

Most of the Hidden object games come in a Collectors Edition (CE) AND a standard edition (SE), often released a month after the collectors.. I add these as separate versions.. and as they are often available on both PC and Mac, I submit 4 versions PC CE; Mac CE; PC SE and Mac SE... some are even released on iOS and/or Android a year or so later!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to add games where you get multiple platforms on the same purchase: Often when you get a game on Steam, it can be available on both Linux, Windows and Macintosh - even if you never will own a Linux computer you actually still have the Linux version of the game.
Back in the old days many games also came on a "PC & MAC CD-ROM", so getting a game for more than one system is not a new thing.

More rare is it that you've got games for multiple platforms in the old days; But I actually have one tape with demos (I think; I haven't checked the content yet) for ZX Spectrum and BBC Micro on one side, and Commodore 64 on the other side. Since this is most likely a demo-tape I am not going to add it, but just shows my point.

I see many who add a Steam game for all three platforms, or one that comes for Windows and Macintosh with separate versions, although you have all three on one instance.
Same issue goes on GOG and some other.

But there are times/places where you buy for single platforms; Some games on Steam I have also found separately for Macintosh on iTunes, and I think some games are also available on the Microsoft Store. A quick check shows me ARK: Survival Evolved which are for Windows/Macintosh/Linux on Steam, but of course only for Windows on the Microsoft Store. Same game is also available on iTunes - but only for iOS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazyCatman wrote:
I see many who add a Steam game for all three platforms, or one that comes for Windows and Macintosh with separate versions, although you have all three on one instance.

I would do this with Steam because when you buy the game you do get all 3 versions of the game, as I found out when I installed Linux on a PC some years back. I would also add individual entries if I found them for sale on sites by themselves, most likely the Mac version in my experience.

On the subject of older games there were often dual ZX Spectrum/Amstrad CPC cassettes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:
CrazyCatman wrote:

I would do this with Steam because when you buy the game you do get all 3 versions of the game, as I found out when I installed Linux on a PC some years back. I would also add individual entries if I found them for sale on sites by themselves, most likely the Mac version in my experience.

On the subject of older games there were often dual ZX Spectrum/Amstrad CPC cassettes.
My words exactly. I add multi-platform Steam games (or if I find other places where one purchase gives you more platforms - PS4/Vita on PSN as an example) under one version, but if I then also find a game - where you purchase it on one of the platforms only - like on iTunes or Microsoft Store - or a third place - I add those as well as separate versions, as when you buy it you get only that one platform version.
I know most people only one one of the three platforms, but I am actually quite happy that I get the games on all three (when available): I have my friend's MacBook Pro laying around at the moment (until June), so I am probably going to "stress test" it by installing Steam and get one of my Mac-games down on it and play And I plan to finish building my Linux computer too - but I might install one of my extra laptops as a temporary Linux computer until I finish the design of the one I am building.

However I did not know about Speccy/CPC duals! thumbsup Makes sense since if I remember correct Amstrad bought the Speccy, and made ZX Spectrum +2 (closely looking, but not exactly looking like the CPC464 with it's build-in cassette recorder).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.