Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. This is my first Arcadian post. I used to post in Chit Chat many years ago, so I thought I'd give this a shot...

So anyway, about 9 months ago I decided to learn the piano. I've played guitar and bass for 30 years (not very well), but I always wanted to learn piano. So I bought a Yamaha electric piano and I've been teaching myself how to play. I basically started with Bartok's Mikrokosmos and then moved on to the Anna Magdalena Bach notebook and some other short Baroque and Classical pieces.

I can play... okay, but not great. Does anyone else here play piano? What are your experiences with learning to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't use my 2 hands for doing 2 different things while reading 2 seperate rows of musical notes. That's beyong my brain's capacity. I've never understood how people can play piano xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I play. I went through lesson books when I first learned. Learning the theory makes sight reading easier. I could technically sit down and play any piano piece VERY slowly, but building up the skill from a low level to an advanced level would make the painstaking process of learning a new song much easier. So best advice I can give is don’t overlook the piano theory element of learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sjeng wrote:
I can't use my 2 hands for doing 2 different things while reading 2 seperate rows of musical notes. That's beyond my brain's capacity.

This is almost me, as well.
I can manage chords with one hand (left on piano) but my right hand is free to do notes.

I only play for my own enjoyment, so I'm not that great, but I can hold a tune.
I took lessons for three years (beginning at age 42) and that's what my instructor taught-- left hand chords and right hand melody, on an electric piano.

I like to play some classical but only from books that have the chord changes written above the treble clef. I can't read music fast enough to follow the treble from sheet music, but my fingers seem to know where to go-- provided that I've heard the tune before. I am unable to read any bass clef notes.

I have books with simplified versions of Beatles, ABBA, Simon & Garfunkel, and "Top 100 hits" (mostly from the '70s and '80s), as well as two that are strictly classical (the famous bits from operas like Carmen, or William Tell, or well known Beethoven/ Mozart/ Strauss works).

I can similarly form chords on guitar, but anything beyond strumming with the right hand is beyond me. I can't do chords and finger pick, for instance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Slape
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been taking lessons for a few years now, currently working on Mozart Sonata 11, 1st movement...only 2 variations remaining. Last year I played the famous 3rd movement (Rondo Alla Turca), so I'm hoping to put the whole thing together.

I'm also in the middle of Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy (this was kinda supposed to be for Christmas but it's taking longer than I had hoped), and a Bach 2 Part Invention (the number escapes me at the moment).

I am terrible at reading music for piano - although I've heard that Bartok's Mikrokosmos is a good way to practice. I really need to go back and work on this because my dexterity has far outpaced my sight reading.

I also play violin if anybody wants to talk about that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sjeng wrote:
I can't use my 2 hands for doing 2 different things while reading 2 seperate rows of musical notes. That's beyong my brain's capacity. I've never understood how people can play piano xD

I bet you use two hands to play video games while processing all kinds of information on the screen...

I actually found that intimidating at first, but really the sheet music is just the instructions. Once you learn how to play it, it's mostly just muscle memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
... So best advice I can give is don’t overlook the piano theory element of learning.

I agree completely. As it is, I feel like I'm learning the pieces, but I'm not really developing any skills besides finger agility. At some point, I would like to take lessons, but right now it's a luxury I can't afford.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
shelflife3000 wrote:
Sjeng wrote:

I bet you use two hands to play video games while processing all kinds of information on the screen...

I actually found that intimidating at first, but really the sheet music is just the instructions. Once you learn how to play it, it's mostly just muscle memory.

True! heh. I'm sure anyone with the will to learn can actually learn it, though some just have the gift and can master it, while others keep struggling. I've never really wanted it enough to learn it. I've chosen the trumpet instead. I love the sound, and you can bring it anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I took lessons for several years as a child. My parents forced me.

I very much doubt anything was retained, and have not touched the device since probably 4th or 5th grade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
I started to teach myself once, years ago, because my wife had an upright piano and had stopped playing it. I figured it should get some use.

The right-hand part came pretty easily, because I'd taken accordion lessons for five years when I was a kid. It just felt funny that my left hand wasn't pressing little buttons. And that pressure on the keys mattered.

But I've never been able to stick with any instrument, and that was no exception. The piano got sold, we moved, and ... well, that was a long time ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmb
I took lessons for 10 1/2 years. Have massive talent and a beautiful ear for music. However, I never practiced like I should have. Took lessons in college bc I needed a credit. Got a grant in college to buy a nice full keyboard electronic Roland with 88 weighted keys. Still have it with the intent of getting back to it.

I've totally let it go to waste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I have learnt a few songs on keyboard in my time. Some of it still sits in my fingers, but I don`t really have access to a piano
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.