GoldenEye 007
Bubble Bobble
Railroad Tycoon
Heroes of Might and Magic IV: The Gathering Storm
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Syberia
The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II
Disney's Aladdin (Master System/Game Gear)
Civilization: Call to Power
Super Street Fighter II
Moon Patrol
Mega Man 2
Ticket to Ride
Link's Crossbow Training
Star Wars: Rebellion
Mount & Blade
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box & Trivial Pursuit
Castle of the Winds
Frozen Synapse
Reiner Knizia's Battleline
Tanktics: Computer Game of Armored Combat on the Eastern Front
Carmageddon
Ataxx
Wings of Fury
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Video Game» Forums » VGG Related » VGG News

Subject: VGGeek of the Week #210 - Dave B (Jackal2k) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicolai Broen Thorning
Denmark
Ebeltoft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It is now my pleasure to introduce you all to the 210th VGG Geek of the Week - Dave B (Jackal2k).

Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Dave is a frequent participant on VGG, where you will find him in just about any corner (at least that I have visited). He might also be found on some of the sister sites, but that be for him to tell.

Jackal2k wrote:
Howdy all! Isn't this exciting? My second GotW (first was over at RPGGeek). Let's hope this tenure goes better than the first...

So, videogames. My earliest memory of them is of playing a demo of Kula World and just being fascinated by what was this incredibly weird game. Did I know what I was doing? No. Did I care? Heck no! This was new, this was cool, this was enjoyable... although I can also remember kind of wishing I could sample the later levels. I may also have tried Crash Bandicoot later that day.

What I don't remember, but have been told about, is that even before then, I actually had my very first videogaming experience with Super Mario 64. Supposedly this young toddler of about four here saw his other brother playing it, figured "hey, neat, I want a go," and after some persuasion, got to have a shot.

Twenty years since, I've completed over two hundred games, played ten times that, and ragequit oh so often. Grew up with fourth (to some extent), fifth and sixth generation consoles, saw most of them go from current-gen to retro, and thus decided that I was a retro gamer at heart. My conviction strengthened after the seventh generation made way for the eighth, which was something of a mess, AFAIAC. Only now am I giving "modern" gaming of any kind another chance because of the Switch. Sort of.

The genres I have the most experience with are traditional RPGs (of both western and Japanese variety), classic FPSes, rhythm action games and fighting games, which isn't to say I haven't played a lot of combat sports games, racing games, and sandboxes.

My main musical interests are heavy metal, thrash metal, speed metal, rock, punk and videogame soundtracks. My favourite types of TV program are sitcoms from the 70s, 80s and 90s, gameshows and quizcoms. I like 80s comedy movies and action films. I don't read much in the way of books, generally music biographies, Skulduggery Pleasant (to some extent), Astérix and Tintin. I tend more towards magazines and gaming blogs, the latter very much especially.

Finally, I prefer my escapism to have less focus on upsetting, emotionally intense confrontations and sadistic decisions, and more happy endings. I... think? The world is a dark place, and I don't see why my escapism should reflect that which I'm trying to "escape".

Phew! That was a mouthful! Um... any questions?

- What is the worst game you ever played (and why)?
Jackal2k wrote:
A toss up between Die Hard: Vendetta (all I remember is raging at it, all the time) and Haven: Call of the King (for trying to put some sort of corrupted save data onto my memory card... I admit, I'm not sure what exactly was going on).

- What is your favorite video game-related memory?
Jackal2k wrote:
Far too many to count! If I had to pick one... the one where, many years ago, my brother and I tried to complete the fourth level of Halo 2. We boarded some Covenant vehicle full of Elites. His character got killed; he was worried that I would end up with the same fate. Somehow, I defeated those Elites singlehandedly, and saved the day.

Honourable mentions to playthroughs I did for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (in which I made a misunderstood, go-nowhere Argonian peasant the most respected, liked, powerful, influential adventurer in the whole of Cyrodiil) and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (because May 2014 was a good month for me; unusual since that was the worst year I've ever known).

- How long was your longest single VG-playing-session ever (and what game(s))?
Jackal2k wrote:
I once had an all-nighter on The Sims 3 (Console) that lasted about 8 hours, maybe more (I don't remember exactly)! It was an interesting session; set in the second act of Faith's story, John and Liza had their third child, and I / the builders made a hash of constructing a second floor.

- What is your current platform of choice?
Jackal2k wrote:
Xbox for Rocky Legends and messing around in Shenmue II, PSP for messing around in The Sims 2: Castaway, PlayStation 2 for Bully and messing around in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, and Nintendo 64 and Switch for multiplayer.

- What are you playing now, and what will you be playing next?
Jackal2k wrote:
Too much at once. Well, I put a large number of games on hiatus, decided I was going to get through just Bully, then bought a whole bunch more games. Main playthroughs at the moment are Bully and Rocky Legends. What will I be playing next? No idea. Too many games, too much indecision... I'd love to finish a couple of playthroughs I kinda left hanging on this website... watch this space.

- Do you use cheat codes?
Jackal2k wrote:
Sometimes. Not as much as I used to. Given how much I may crack up at games, probably not often enough!

- What is your favorite contribution (of yours or of another user) to VGG (provide a link, if possible)?
Jackal2k wrote:
Setting up the team to play in a Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup tournament. It was a rare, positive, out of character moment for me, partially because I don't play online, and partially because I am probably the worst leader in all of existence.

It doesn't matter to me that I sucked at the game; I helped someone do something they wanted to do. It was enjoyable enough. And we got to about mid-table, despite my being the weakest player in the group, so... yeah!

Now for some of Jackal2k's favourite games. Here are his thoughts on them:

Jackal2k wrote:
Bully - Any game I've completed about four times automatically deserves attention. The game has a big open world to (gradually) explore, lots of variety, a solid combat system, the awesome chaotic free roam which guarantees crazy, unpredictable and hilarious NPC moments, and a story which has its fair share of chuckle inducing moments, but which is also (in part) about showing the bad guys up, rising through the ranks and gaining acceptance from your peers, all of which I find very satisfying.

The Ultimate Doom - In some form, probably the game I've played most in my life. It's just brilliant: good graphics and music, wonderful level design (mainly in the first episode, natch), a memorable cast of monsters, and an iconic shotgun that blasts enemies dead. It's a game that's been with me for years and years, it has held up really well, and on the PC, it's a modder's paradise. As well as the original game itself, I've spent a lot of time checking out custom maps and making my own wacky mishmash WADs. Enemy barrels and superpowered rapid fire pistols for the win!

Chrono Trigger - RPGs don't tend to be "pick up and play, just a quick go" kinds of games, but as an experience, this is epic. Colourful graphics complemented by the best SNES soundtrack out there (no dispute). It's all about time travel - a story element I really enjoy - and has a wonderful final act where you get to systematically correct every single issue that has built up before and during the rest of the story. Seeing how much you improve the world across all of time is beautiful.

Obligatory "crazy number of alternate endings" reference.

Phantasy Star IV - The game that made me learn to appreciate JRPGs. Had I not played this, I doubt I would've gone on to play and complete games like Chrono Trigger, or Final Fantasy IV, or... er, the not at all Japanese JRPG Legionwood: Tale of the Two Swords. Easily one of, if not the best RPG(s) for the Mega Drive. It has an enjoyable plot, good characters, an interesting setting (I think a secondary school friend summed up the first area as "desertpunk"), and plenty of endearing small details, like the sheer amount of interactivity with furniture and miscellaneous objects (compared to other JRPGs), the ability to talk to your party (really just a recap on what you're supposed to do next), and each party member's sprite being a different size to the others and having different walking animations.

Also, party command macros.

Also also, comic book panel cutscenes. I liked those in Max Payne, I like them here. More power to comic book panel cutscenes!

Skyrim - Picking number five was tough; so many potential candidates, and I was always going to have some doubt about the worthiness of whatever I chose. In the end I went with this one for four good reasons:
1) It's one of the few games I've rated 10 because of its scope and addictive gameplay;
2) I wanted one of my games to represent the features of character creation and customisation;
3) I've put more time into this than The Sims 3, and between the stories of Suburban Goths and Faith Colbert, that's a lot;
4) I particularly enjoyed the playthrough of it I did in May 2014.

Poll
Which game is Jackal2k's all time favorite game?
Bully
The Ultimate Doom
Chrono Trigger
Phantasy Star IV
Skyrim
      11 answers
Poll created by Taibi
Closes: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:00 am

More info about VGGeek of the Week.
https://videogamegeek.com/wiki/page/VGGeek_of_the_Week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Broen Thorning
Denmark
Ebeltoft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I apologize for the delay. It has been a hectic week. Today I have been lost in the world of Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura - highly recommended.

My question to you is: Do you follow any sport?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Dave!
Hope you have a wizard of a week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Taibi wrote:
I apologize for the delay. It has been a hectic week. Today I have been lost in the world of Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura - highly recommended.

Hey Taibi!

Eh, I don't follow sports much. Followed boxing a couple of years ago, at the time of Blocker's brutal victory over Goode, although my interest in the sport has waned somewhat.

Other than that... would taking the New Orleans Saints to 100 wins in NFL Street count for something?

chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Dave!
Hope you have a wizard of a week!

Thanks! Here's hoping as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Dave! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mb
Congratulations, Dave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Broen Thorning
Denmark
Ebeltoft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jackal2k wrote:
Taibi wrote:

Hey Taibi!

Eh, I don't follow sports much. Followed boxing a couple of years ago, at the time of Blocker's brutal victory over Goode, although my interest in the sport has waned somewhat.

Other than that... would taking the New Orleans Saints to 100 wins in NFL Street count for something?

Of course, that is how I do sport too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Dave!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Congrats Dave! Have a fun and fruitful week of gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

Here are my usual questions:

1) What game do you play when you are feeling sad - because you know it will cheer you up?

2) What is your favorite book genre?

3) Do you play games mostly in the same genre you read?

4) Assuming the zombie apocalypse happens, what is your zombie smasher of choice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Dave! Have a great time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mb
frumpish wrote:
Congratulations Dave! Enjoy your week!

wildthayne wrote:
Congratulations, Dave.

Cricky wrote:
Congrats Dave!

GeoffreyB wrote:
Congrats Dave! Have a fun and fruitful week of gaming!

tickmanfan wrote:
Congratulations, Dave! Have a great time!

Thank you all!

adularia25 wrote:
Congrats!

Thank you!

adularia25 wrote:
Here are my usual questions:

1) What game do you play when you are feeling sad - because you know it will cheer you up?

Strangely enough, for all the positive and funny games I've got / played / praised, I don't have a particular answer for this one. There's no game I consistently play to alleviate low mood, partially because any game could turn against me and beat me / my character up!

That said, multiplayer GoldenEye 007 and the song creator in Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock do help... if / when I can be bothered to dig them out / play them.

adularia25 wrote:
2) What is your favorite book genre?

Do gaming blogs count?

If so: Videogame blogs.
If not: Probably music biographies, if only because I liked I Am Ozzy and Slash. Some of the stuff that goes on... geez...

adularia25 wrote:
3) Do you play games mostly in the same genre you read?

...Maybe?

Assuming we're talking music biographies, the closest I can think of is Rockstar (the game, not the company) (I should put it in the database).

I play a lot of Guitar Hero, but that only really covers the performance aspect... probably for the best?

adularia25 wrote:
4) Assuming the zombie apocalypse happens, what is your zombie smasher of choice?

Easy:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Well-deserved.

I know you said Crono Trigger has the best SNES soundtrack. Is it your favorite video game soundtrack of all time? If not, what is or what are some of your other favorites?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Dave!

What's your favorite Switch game?

Opinion on Metallica?

Newer bands or 80s-90s bands?

Enjoy your time in the sun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Broen Thorning
Denmark
Ebeltoft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Could you suggest a few video game blogs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mb
flaeryn wrote:
Congrats! Well-deserved.

Hey, Stephanie! Thanks!

flaeryn wrote:
I know you said Chrono Trigger has the best SNES soundtrack. Is it your favorite video game soundtrack of all time?

I'd say so. If nothing else, I maintain the main theme is the single greatest, most evocative, beautiful composition in all of videogaming music.

flaeryn wrote:
...what are some of your other favorites?

I know this is a "if not" question, but f**k it, I wanna talk videogame music!

So, the runners-up:

Soundtracks

- Bully (Best tune: Defenders of the Castle)
- Phantasy Star IV (Best tune: Organic Beat)
- Doom (Best tune: At Doom's Gate)
- Devilish / Bad Omen (Best tune: Graveyard)
- Exhumed / Powerslave (Best tune: the boss theme / Track 9 / Set Arena)
- Final Fantasy 4 (Best tune: Red Wings)
- Final Fantasy 6 (Best tune: Everyone will want me to say Dancing Mad, but honestly I'd pick the Serpent Trench or Searching for Friends)
- Mystic Quest (Best tune: Battle 2)
- Streets of Rage (Best tune: Stage 1)
- Streets of Rage 2 (Best tune: Go Straight)
- Soulcalibur II (Best tune: Guided by Wind)
- Quake II (Best tune: Toss up between Descent into Cerberon, Stealth Frag and Adrenaline Junkie)
- Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage (Best tune: Toss up between Streets of New York and Heroic Assault)
- Seiken Densetsu 3 (Best tune: Evening Star)
- Snatcher (Best tune: I'll go with Theme of Jamie. Cheesy but pretty too)
- Turtles in Time (Best tune: I'm thinking Alley Cat Blues, or possibly Star Base)
- Comix Zone (Best tune: Page 2, Part 1)

Individual Tunes

- Road Rash Main Theme
- "Fighting Back" from Thunder Force IV
- "Who'll Be the Hero" from Violent Storm
- "Mission Theme 1" from the unreleased Megadrive version of Time Trax
- Stage 1 from the original Earnest Evans soundtrack
- "Japonesque" from Shinobi III
- "Normal Battle - Town" from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
- "Endless Challenge" from F-Zero X
- "On the Ship" from Alundra
- "Village of Inoa" from Alundra
- "The Wind that Shook the Earth" from Alundra
- "Tallon IV" from Metroid Prime
- "Drill" from Jade Cocoon
- "Theme of Simon" from Super Castlevania IV
- "Corneria" from Star Fox
- Stage 3 from Sunset Riders
- "Bloodlines" from Castlevania X
- "Zero Hour" from Wolfenstein 3D
- "Kokiri Forest" from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Map 1 from TNT: Evilution
- Map 8 from TNT: Evilution
- "Surrounded by Forest 1" from Treasure Hunter G
- "Surfacing" from Unreal
- Town Theme from Shining Force II
- Return to Planet X from TimeSplitters 2
- "Beyond the Galaxy" from Galaxy Force 2
- "Emerald Hill Zone" from Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- "Metropolis Zone" from Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- "The Subway" from Mortal Kombat 3
- Something modern: "New Donk City - Daytime" from Super Mario Odyssey (although I prefer an earlier version of the tune, with just bass and piano)
- "Getting Too Tense" from Doom II
- "Goin' Down the Fast Way" from Rise of the Triad
- Finally, for today: The Tetris Theme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bulldog93 wrote:
Congrats Dave!

Thanks Jeff!

bulldog93 wrote:
What's your favorite Switch game?

Toss up between three:

1) Super Mario Odyssey
2) Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3) Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

Actually, I think they've all been my top Switch game, going in that chronological order!

bulldog93 wrote:
Opinion on Metallica?

Interesting question. I could never hate my introduction to the world of heavy metal. Played Guitar Hero: Metallica round about 2009, liked the music, bingo, Metallica fan. Spent maybe a year listening almost exclusively to Metallica... then I discovered Megadeth, and from there on my tastes have broadened.

Still like Metallica to this day. 1983-1991 works, though. Everything after that... not quite as good.

Favourite Metallica song? Easy. Seek and Destroy!

Bulldog93 wrote:
Newer bands or 80s-90s bands?

70s, 80s and 90s stuff > modern music. I think "Down From the Sky" by Trivium is as modern as I get!

(Side note: I strongly prefer clean vocals to
screaming and shouting, yet I still like some songs of that kind anyway, like some of Trivium's output, or Pantera. Not sure why some songs I like it, but most songs it annoys me.)

bulldog93 wrote:
Enjoy your time in the sun.

Oh, don't worry, I will!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

1.) If Square-Enix decided tomorrow to make a full remake/reboot of Chrono Trigger, would you be excited or worried?

2.) Have you heard of "Another Eden" and/or played it? It's the mobile game made in collaboration between Chrono Trigger writer Masato Kato and composer Yasunori Mitsuda.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_Eden
It even has a frog swordsman in it!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=games.wfs.anot...

edit: I had forgotten that Another Eden was set to release just days ago, so I'm downloading the game data now. The song that plays during the download data screen is pretty awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Taibi wrote:
Could you suggest a few video game blogs?

F**k yeah!

My go-to 4, in the order I discovered them are:

Super Adventures in Gaming - Ray Hardgrit and friends try to play random games, take screenshots of pretty or interesting stuff, and invariably break said games or get hopelessly stuck. Fun.
VGJunk - "Videogames classic and obscure", in which VGJunk tackles forgotten arcade games and wretched GBC abominations, makes witty remarks about things that happen in these games, and recommends some Slayer. Also does silly articles on character sprites and cover art, because why not!
The CRPG Addict - One man's quest to find and indulge in classic computer RPGs that suit his tastes, became an attempt to play and catalogue every CRPG ever made somewhere down the line. Drier and far more serious than SAiG and VGJunk, but more informative.
The Adventure Gamer - To adventure games what the CRPG Addict is to RPGs. Unlike the CRPG Addict, it's (now) a group collaboration, and - dependent on the author - somewhat more humorous.

(This reminds me, VGJunk actually made a game of his own! Wonder if I should add it to the database...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mb
GibbRS wrote:
Congrats!

Thanks!

GibbRS wrote:
If Square-Enix decided tomorrow to make a full remake/reboot of Chrono Trigger, would you be excited or worried?

Remake: Hovering between ambivalent and worried, for a number of reasons:
1) I have a knee jerk reaction to remakes in general;
2) There was going to be a (fangame, I think?) full 3D remake, until the inevitable cease and desist came down. Considering how good Streets of Rage Remake turned out, we may have missed out on a gem;
3) I understand Secret of Mana (2018) was mediocre.

Meh. There's always the original, in it's many ports.

Reboot: yuk
Great. Just what we need: Crono's got a terminal illness, and Lucca is into torturing children. Seven hour long cutscenes of people suffering, and Lavos wins, the end.

Soundtrack is butchered and mutilated.

I don't wanna be told the versions of tales and fiction I grew up with / liked are "wrong", only to find the "real", "correct" versions are washed out, despairing pieces of junk! Stop this wave of darkness and cynicism already!

...Er, so, yeah, sorry to get preachy or whining! Had to say something.

Still, thanks for the question!

EDIT: Oh, I see you have a new question!

GibbRS wrote:
2.) Have you heard of "Another Eden" and/or played it? It's the mobile game made in collaboration between Chrono Trigger writer Masato Kato and composer Yasunori Mitsuda.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_Eden
It even has a frog swordsman in it!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=games.wfs.anot...

edit: I had forgotten that Another Eden was set to release just days ago, so I'm downloading the game data now. The song that plays during the download data screen is pretty awesome.

Interesting! Hadn't heard about it until now. Hopefully it's not like that Chrono Trigger reboot I imagined earlier! shake

If it has Yasunori Mitsuda (the main composer of Chrono Trigger, ergo one of the most musically gifted human beings who ever lived) onboard, involves time travel, keeps microtransactions to a minimum, and is coming over to the Switch, I will seriously keep an eye on / out for it.

And of course the tune you mentioned is awesome! It's Yasunori Mitsuda! I don't need to hear it to know it's immediately better than most whole videogame soundtracks!

I'm starting to sound like a fanboy for Mitsuda. Uh oh... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackal2k wrote:
GibbRS wrote:
Congrats!

Thanks!

GibbRS wrote:
If Square-Enix decided tomorrow to make a full remake/reboot of Chrono Trigger, would you be excited or worried?

Remake: Hovering between ambivalent and worried, for a number of reasons:
1) I have a knee jerk reaction to remakes in general;
2) There was going to be a (fangame, I think?) full 3D remake, until the inevitable cease and desist came down. Considering how good Streets of Rage Remake turned out, we may have missed out on a gem;
3) I understand Secret of Mana (2018) was mediocre.

Meh. There's always the original, in it's many ports.

Reboot: yuk
Great. Just what we need: Crono's got a terminal illness, and Lucca is into torturing children. Seven hour long cutscenes of people suffering, and Lavos wins, the end.

Soundtrack is butchered and mutilated.

I don't wanna be told the versions of tales and fiction I grew up with / liked are "wrong", only to find the "real", "correct" versions are washed out, despairing pieces of junk! Stop this wave of darkness and cynicism already!

...Er, so, yeah, sorry to get preachy or whining! Had to say something.

Still, thanks for the question!

I added another question and some info on the Another Eden game, check that out too! Also, I added Another Eden to the VGG database, but it's in pending status right now.

As for Remakes, I understand the concern. In my opinion, I like remakes when they keep the spirit of the original, but enhance the game play to modern mechanics. Resident Evil 2 (2019) is a perfect example. Surprisingly, Capcom didn't screw it up. In fact, it's probably the best Remake I've ever played. The story is mostly the same, only with way improved game play, graphics, etc.

If Chrono Trigger was remade, I would want the story to mostly be the same, but the game play to be updated considerably. I'm not a big fan of turn based RPGs anymore, so I'd like if it got an update to be more fluid. I'm glad they decided to go that route with FFVII remake, although I'm still wondering if that game will ever happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mb
GibbRS wrote:
As for Remakes, I understand the concern. In my opinion, I like remakes when they keep the spirit of the original, but enhance the game play to modern mechanics. Resident Evil 2 (2019) is a perfect example. Surprisingly, Capcom didn't screw it up. In fact, it's probably the best Remake I've ever played. The story is mostly the same, only with way improved game play, graphics, etc.

I've been hearing good things about the RE2 remake. Not bad, considering some Capcom games...

I haven't played much of the Resident Evil series, though.

GibbRS wrote:
If Chrono Trigger was remade, I would want the story to mostly be the same, but the game play to be updated considerably. I'm not a big fan of turn based RPGs anymore, so I'd like if it got an update to be more fluid.

Agreed on the story point. The gameplay point? Eh... I still like turn based, to me gameplay's fine, but to each their own.

GibbRS wrote:
I'm glad they decided to go that route with FFVII remake, although I'm still wondering if that game will ever happen.

Probably not in any of our lifetimes. Except Evil Bob's, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sudo Dudaković
Bosnia and Herzegovina
flag msg tools
Looking of wrong spot. Blink, blink.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good to you, Nicolai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Please remove your cursor from my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mb
Congrats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.