GoldenEye 007
Bubble Bobble
Railroad Tycoon
Heroes of Might and Magic IV: The Gathering Storm
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Syberia
The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II
Disney's Aladdin (Master System/Game Gear)
Civilization: Call to Power
Super Street Fighter II
Moon Patrol
Mega Man 2
Ticket to Ride
Link's Crossbow Training
Star Wars: Rebellion
Mount & Blade
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box & Trivial Pursuit
Castle of the Winds
Frozen Synapse
Reiner Knizia's Battleline
Tanktics: Computer Game of Armored Combat on the Eastern Front
Carmageddon
Ataxx
Wings of Fury
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » Recommendations

Subject: Cute PS4 game for new gamer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend just bought herself a PS4 and I was wondering what game to recommend to her to get her started. She has no gaming experience, is not really a thinky person, plus she has limited English (she is Chinese). Also, she says she is a coward and doesn't like violent or scary things.

An immediate starter of course is Journey (2012).

Apart from that I'm not sure. I was thinking some kind of cutesy RPG like Dragon Quest XI but I'm nervous that these games actually require quite a bit of gaming knowledge with how battles and skill trees and crafting works. Also DQXI might be a bit difficult? On the other hand the world looks great to explore and the story is probably pretty strong, plus there's a Chinese subtitle version available.

World of Final Fantasy is another one I saw recommended, but I'm not sure whether the world and story are strong?

Or Kingdom Hearts III although the story sounds confusing and it doesn't appeal to me personally. Also there is no Chinese subtitle version.

Tales of Vesperia has an autobattle option, but even so might be a bit complex?

Any suggestions or thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom, cute but difficult maybe.

Gravity Rush and/or Gravity Rush 2, controls might be a little challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravity Rush... not so sure. I guess it's fairly simple but I'm not sure it does a great job drawing the player into its world.

Shantae: ½ Genie Hero

Thomas Was Alone

I almost wonder about something like Ico. Certainly no language required.

There is a PS4 remaster of Ōkami, which does a pretty good job of explaining and introducing. Still... hard to say what it would be like for someone with no gaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forbidding
United States
flag msg tools
admin
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to. –Alfred A. Montapert
badge
These computers on our desks are turning into portals to other realms of existence…realms that will one day be preferred to earth. –Edward Castronova
mbmbmbmbmb
Stardew Valley
Firewatch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
There's gotta be a LittleBIGPlanet game available for PS4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S.
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:
There's gotta be a LittleBIGPlanet game available for PS4

I think you can play all of them...maybe not the first. They are releasing a new game (this month?) called Dreams that would work, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ask what spurred the purchase in the first place. I would also consider a gaming rental service (or playstation network, they still have a free game or two a month right?)

I would recommend okami over shiness. Shiness is great, I'm playing it right now but its relentless, it feels more difficult because if you get hit once its not going to let you block any of the next seven attacks. Okami is very similar in feeling but much more friendly.

others that come to mind while looking at a list of games on the ps4
reus
overcooked
unravel

maybe a lego game if one has the theme she likes, I like having a lego game as kind of a relaxation game as they are made for kids and are very easy. Though reus also fits this mood for me so maybe just ignore this lego comment and try reus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DQXI if there's a Chinese translation available seems like a beautiful game and a lovely option for an RPG. (Tales of Vesperia is going to be a lot more complex than a DQ game, and World of FF looks like Pokemon).

If there's a Katamari Damacy available for PS4, that's a beautiful and wonderful game for non-gamers (or anyone!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tearaway Unfolded is on the PS4. Super cute puzzle adventure game about paper crafts.

All of the LEGO games are pretty cute and easy to play (you can't lose in them). If you find one that meets the right theme, it could be a great game for gamers and non-gamers alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have TONS of these games.

Leo's Fortune – a cute and simple platformer where you jump around with a fluffy ball.
ABZÛ – Deep sea version of Journey.
Toren – Ico-esque game where you're climbing a tower
Beyond eyes – Wonderful game where you're playing a blind girl who investigates her environment.
The Unfinished Swan – Might be a bit thinky, but you're trying to advance in a black'n'white world.
Submerged – Really cool game where you're climbing around in a flooded city. No violence, no action, no game over, just exploration.
Flower
flOw (2006)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it turns out, she DIDN'T get a PS4 herself, she bought one for her son who lives in Beijing. Communication breakdown !

I might get DQXI myself though.

I'm always puzzled why people recommend platformers for new gamers, as I've always found them painfully difficult, the only one I could really do was Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enjoy some homing fireballs!
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I'm always puzzled why people recommend platformers for new gamers, as I've always found them painfully difficult, the only one I could really do was Kirby's Epic Yarn.

For most of us, those are the types of games we cut our teeth on. They're simple enough conceptually for anyone to grasp the controls in a few minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Deiland is a cute little game, for both Steam, PS4, and possibly other platforms, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Cynical wrote:
manukajoe wrote:

For most of us, those are the types of games we cut our teeth on. They're simple enough conceptually for anyone to grasp the controls in a few minutes.
Right, but by definition, a new gamer has not cut their teeth on them, and may not have the youth and persistence to master the quick timing and reflexes needed. Why I think a less action oriented game is probably easier for most newbs (I'm thinking of middle aged people like myself).

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/02/why-nostalgia-for-video-ga...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think it's quite difficult to guess what someone new to videogames will find engaging. I would expect overall challenge to be a relatively small part of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Personally I think it's quite difficult to guess what someone new to videogames will find engaging. I would expect overall challenge to be a relatively small part of it.
I think a big part of this is that people are so diverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.