GoldenEye 007
Bubble Bobble
Railroad Tycoon
Heroes of Might and Magic IV: The Gathering Storm
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Syberia
The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II
Disney's Aladdin (Master System/Game Gear)
Civilization: Call to Power
Super Street Fighter II
Moon Patrol
Mega Man 2
Ticket to Ride
Link's Crossbow Training
Star Wars: Rebellion
Mount & Blade
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box & Trivial Pursuit
Castle of the Winds
Frozen Synapse
Reiner Knizia's Battleline
Tanktics: Computer Game of Armored Combat on the Eastern Front
Carmageddon
Ataxx
Wings of Fury
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: My PC is showing it's age. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually I'm playing older, indier games. So it's not like I'm pushing it with recent AAA games.

But right now I'm playing Epistory on my seven year old PC and there was considerable lag and slowdown on the highest graphics settings. I had to move it down to medium. It's playable but still not as smooth as it should be.

It's finally time to seriously consider an upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Always a pain when you have to do that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Seven years is a pretty good run. I usually buy a maximum spec machine and try and hold onto it for a decade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know if you need help. I'll be back in Minnesota by July (early).

I'd be happy to plan something out and do a Microcenter run with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elida wrote:

Nah, it's fun to build a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Usually I'm playing older, indier games. So it's not like I'm pushing it with recent AAA games.

But right now I'm playing Epistory on my seven year old PC and there was considerable lag and slowdown on the highest graphics settings. I had to move it down to medium. It's playable but still not as smooth as it should be.

It's finally time to seriously consider an upgrade.
Ditto... AFAIK, many of the indie games etc. I've been playing, and would get back to later on would be playable on the Playstation 2 to PS3 generation hardware, or its equivalent. I've had games such as Castlestorm, Trine, Portal, Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime, and Defending Camelot run just fine on my current PC that's never been updated.

I've run AAA games on my PC, but def. nothing past medium settings...
1) Doom (the 2009 version.. the one with much updated graphics, and for some reason, you can't hold a pistol and a flashlight at the same time)

2) StarCraft 2: Wings Of Liberty

Problem is, my PC these days has taken a hit on performance, so I don't know if I'll bother with AAA games again. DEFINITELY **NOT** reinstalling Sc2 on my PC. Too much of a time sink. I think I'm MUCH better off playing this exclusively at a vg lounge/internet café. Doom... I should be able to play a console version of that at another vg center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it worth upgrading a piece or two or do I need to buy a new rig altogether?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
It gets jalapeno face.
badge
What does an annoying pepper do?
mbmbmbmbmb
Seven years is a standard lifecycle for desktops. I've usually extended the life of desktops by upgrading the graphics cards. That usually gets me another three years. My children's computer, which I've had for over a decade, has just received its second graphics card upgrade, but I think it will be its last upgrade.

As long as everything else runs well (memory and processor is still good, hard drive doesn't crash, etc), then a graphics card upgrade usually helps extend the life of a computer. (keeping that harddrive clean is paramount though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few things you can upgrade that will extend the life a bit...

As Patrick says, getting a new graphics card is probably the best option... you can also add more RAM, or add/replace the hard disk with an SSD (if you don't have one already).

It really depends where the "bottleneck" is in terms of performance. If the problem is the Processor, then you're more likely looking at a new rig because you'll end up having to replace the motherboard to utilise a newer processor.

The system requirements for Epistory are listed here, which might help you identify the bottleneck:
https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/epis...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Elida wrote:

Nah, it's fun to build a new one.

yah...for some...
I think mine is also nearing its end, but it only has three/four years on it. I go laptop, so I just buy what seems best for my use..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frumpish, you'd have to post your complete and exact specs for us to know for sure. Sometimes it's better to go all brand new (and easier, too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Frumpish, you'd have to post your complete and exact specs for us to know for sure. Sometimes it's better to go all brand new (and easier, too).

This. A piecemeal upgrade may be possible, but we really need full specs to know for sure. There's no point in just upgrading the graphics card if it will be bottlenecked elsewhere and you end up seeing no improvements in performance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
It really depends where the "bottleneck" is in terms of performance. If the problem is the Processor, then you're more likely looking at a new rig because you'll end up having to replace the motherboard to utilise a newer processor.

Replacing the motherboard doesn't have to mean an all new rig. I've upgraded the CPU + motherboard twice in my system (Core i5-3570 -> Core i5-6500 -> Core i5-9500K; seems like three generations of CPU obsolescence is the limit for me) but at no point did I ever stop and say, "Okay, this is now a different system." I've also upgraded the GPU twice, the RAM once, and at one point I even swapped out the case (concurrent with the first mobo upgrade, I went from Micro ATX to Mini ITX), but I still consider it the same system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.