GoldenEye 007
Bubble Bobble
Railroad Tycoon
Heroes of Might and Magic IV: The Gathering Storm
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Syberia
The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II
Disney's Aladdin (Master System/Game Gear)
Civilization: Call to Power
Super Street Fighter II
Moon Patrol
Mega Man 2
Ticket to Ride
Link's Crossbow Training
Star Wars: Rebellion
Mount & Blade
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box & Trivial Pursuit
Castle of the Winds
Frozen Synapse
Reiner Knizia's Battleline
Tanktics: Computer Game of Armored Combat on the Eastern Front
Carmageddon
Ataxx
Wings of Fury
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: Bejeweled and Other Match 3 games - Strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmb
I recently DLed Bejeweled again on my phone. I used to play it a lot with my wife long ago and miss the simplicity of just simply playing an easy game. But, as with all games I play, I tend to start thinking about it strategically and wonder if there is a better way of playing it.

I realize I tend to play the Upper Board first, looking for horizontal matches from top to bottom, and then vertical ones. I tend to go for the horizontal match before a vertical match under the idea that there are more likely matches to be made from unknown jewels coming onto the board, than ones already on the board. And that Horizontal matches will get more jewels on the board, than vertical ones. I also will hoard my glowing ones or hypercubes.

But yet, playing from the BOTTOM up will illicit MORE potential for 3-matches than the upper board due to shifting more jewels downward. And trying to burst the glowing or hypercubes earlier will bring MORE new jewels onto the board, won't it?

Or IS there no real strategy and its all just Random number generation?

Can anyone else ruin a perfectly relaxing game like I do?

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL..I don't feel like there's much strategy, honestly, other than simply matching 3 of a kind. Pretty boring game but sometimes you just need a game to chill with, I get it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the opposite of you, I try and match vertically, and closer to the bottom first.

I find when I lose, the bottom of the screen has become static, with no way of getting any matches down there any more. Going vertical with bombs can really open up a bad area and stop that from happening.

I'm talking classic Bejeweled, rules change in all the various versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played the original bejeweled but several games that took inspiration from it such as Puzzle Quest and its own spinoffs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other games with a "match 3" mechanic...

By Pop Cap games, multiplatform (hell, I used to play these on Palm OS!)
-Chuzzle
"Tribbles with eyes"? This is different in where it's not just "match-3-in-a-row", but any grouping of 3, 4, etc.

-Chainz
"Bejewled Complex". Not only do you need ensure the "jewels" are in a row, but each chain link needs to be the correct orientation

-Zuma
Spitting colored stones onto a group of other stones advancing along a pre-planned path... to your doom!

This got REALLY hard in later levels (on the Origins version. IIRC, I managed to beat the Palm OS version)

others
-Reignmaker
match-3-in-a-row with a tower defense element. Every time you make a match, it shoots projectiles long the same rank/row that hit oncoming enemy units, and boss monsters. There are consumable boosts, as well as allies to give you an edge. I quit this too out of frustration due to difficulty, but at least it was fun while it lasted

-Azkend
This one was fun! Campaign/story mode whose difficulty was just right. You get to pick which powerup you'd like for each level. There is a mode where you need to play "where's waldo" in matching snapshots of scenery to the whole picture.

Mini games of other games
-Plants Vs. Zombies
Has a minigame that's pretty much Bejeweled (and yeah, this is also by Pop Cap. NOTE: I'm told they turned current versions into a MTX (microtransaction) fest, so beware! You need to get sufficient progress to unlock the Bejeweled minigame

-Plants Vs. Zombies 2: It's about Time
Ditto her, but on a larger scale.. the MTX, and the amount of progress you'll need to unlock the levels where Bej.-style levels are at (which is very late in the game )

wytefang wrote:
LOL..I don't feel like there's much strategy, honestly, other than simply matching 3 of a kind. Pretty boring game but sometimes you just need a game to chill with, I get it!
There can def. be strategy. Bejeweled 2 had a puzzle mode where you needed to create matches in a certain sequence. Else, you won't meet your goal, and fail the level. However, these levels are created with a solution in mind.

In "endless, but no board wipe" mode, if you're left with no matches left, then lose. As such, you're going to want to come up with a sequence that maximizes your chances of not getting stuck with nothing. Max kudos to expert players who can do this AND do it under the threat of a timer wow (too much stress for me... especially since it falls more under "doing 80% effort for 20% gain" type deal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
My favorite strategic match 3 has always been Gridland - understanding the transition between night and day, what to do and what to upgrade and when to use magic, always struck me as great and clever mechanics in this type of game.

I haven't thought about Zuma in a while, but managing clearing out space vs. setting up big combos was always a huge balancing act that I thought was tense and a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmb
yeah, I was speaking more of Bejeweled Classic than anything. I like SOME of the adaptations other games have done with it. Don't like the Bejeweled Blitz with a timer!

There's a Poker Bejeweled, which was really kind of hard. Can't see how anyone would get good at it, if it's random.

I've been trying to work against what I posted above - Work from the bottom up, using my hypercubes and other special gems. Yeah, I get more cascades and things, but I still can't seem to get beyond the 10th level. (this is the NON-Endless mode.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Gems of War is strategic enough. You have four troops to work with and fight an opponents by collecting mana for your troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.