Onitama: The Board Game
Oxenfree
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
World of Warcraft
Portal 2
Artifact
The Castles of Burgundy
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Tabletop Simulator
Tides of Time
Shards of Infinity
Borderlands
BioShock 2
Super Mario World
Saints Row 2
Tales of Phantasia
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario Kart
Mario Kart 64
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
The Movies
Grim Fandango
Diablo II
Diablo III
Super Monkey Ball 2
New Super Mario Bros.
Stunt Race FX
Red Dead Revolver
Impossible Mission
Master of Magic
StarTropics
Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just heard that someone had developped a game that I'd very much like (in fact, I'd been waiting for such a game for decades), and on this, I decided to buy a Raspberry Pi, as he said that he had it for PC and Raspberry Pi.

Now, what does this exactly mean? I guess it runs on the Raspberry Pi OS, which, if I understand correctly, is a stripped Linux distribution. (Correct?). But should this be considered as a Linux platform then? And… well, I guess that I can't play any Linux game on it.

I'm just wondering how I should sort this. What other games would I be able to play on a Raspbery Pi?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F P
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Hello, friend!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. I must ask. What is this game that has you so excited?

(Is it like the old Pipe Dream from LucasArts? Because while there are similar games, I've never found a substitute!\ )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are feeling super retro you can always get yourself a Picade to play old style arcade games. And any of the scratch games should run on a pi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Raspberry Pi is an Arm-based computer (very broadly the same sort of processor as you'd find in a mobile phone). Normally it runs Linux but other OSes are available.

So it won't run "PC" (Windows and Mac) games - no Windows (except for a very cut-down version), and it's a different sort of processor.

It won't run binary-only Linux games (like things you'd get through Steam) because it's a different sort of processor.

It will however run binary-only Linux games that are compiled specifically for the Pi - or of course open-source Linux games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One person couldn't get a NES Classic, so he ended up "creating" his own via a Raspberry Pi. Did the menus, used emulators, loaded the games.. the works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all. I should have phrased it differently, because what I wanted to now wasn't what emulators there were for Pi, but if there is any sort of concept of "games for Raspberry Pi". (I know all about retro-Pis, and though I might install some emulators eventually, it's not the plan or the main idea.)

What sparked the question was that the guy who made the game I wanted said he had made it for Windows and for the Pi. I know the Pi is running Linux, and I know it's not that powerful, but it's the first time I heard someone compiled a game specifically for Pi, and I wondered if perhaps this was more common than I thought.

The game in question is called "GravStorm". There was an old indie game for Amiga called "Turbo Raketti", which is basically Thrust but you play against another player (basically a 2 player game only). I played the shit out of that game 20 years ago, and have looked for something similar since. I haven't found any replacements. But a guy here on VGG reprogrammed the game from scratch, and included the Turbo Raketti levels, and made it playable on 4 players splitscreen. He said he made it for Windows and Pi and Android, so I downloaded it to Android, saw it was precisely what I had wanted, and decided to get a Pi so I could play it on the telly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now bought the Pi, and now it works perfectly.

TL;DR: The Pi is bit shiney when it comes to power. Also, its USB out cannot power much. Shortly, you will need a 2.5A micro USB in, and if you intend to use more than one USB device, you need an externally powered USB hub.

1) Bought Pie. It was way smaller than I thought. I plugged it in, and it didn't start. Hm, maybe the power supply was too weak?
2) Chose the most powerful usb a charger we had in the house, with 2.1A. The Pi started up, but whined a bit about insufficient power. I chose to install basic Raspbian. It took a few minutes.
3) Keyboard seems to work, but mouse does not. Or wait, it does. Sometimes. Wait, now it doesn't.
4) Read that the Raspberry Pi wants 2.5A. Also reads that certain USB cables do not work even though the charger gives more than 2.5A. Tries to find a 2.5A charger at home, finds only USB-C ones, and have no USB-C-to-micro-USB cable at home. Finds that the USB ports in the standard electric cable I have in my working space, bought at Ikea for maybe €10, has 2.6A out. Tries to find such a thing in the closest shopping mall. Fails. Grumbles. Finally finds that I can buy a "Raspberry Pi" trafo for $25. Okay.
5) Suspects rightfully that the single USB port out of the Pi still cannot power both keyboard and mouse at the same time. Needs a USB hub that has separate power input. Tries to find such a hub that doest NOT come with said power supply, as I have a vast collections of trafos already. To my luck, finds such a one in the closest shopping mall for $20. Goes home to find that I indeed have trafos with the right voltage and power, but wrong plug. Scavanges an old Nokia charger to get the right plug. Spends about 1 hour searching the net to confirm what cable is + and which is - on the two trafos. Finds almost all info. Cuts cable and solders back.
6) Everything works nicely.

Now to see what games there are for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game in question to work. But yeah, it was a bit buggy.

My biggest issue, though, was that it required Open GL to work. However, with GL (Full), the raspberry Pi slows down horribly. Chromium doesn't even work when I activate it. I am not knowledgeable enough to know why this happens, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game works now, bugs were fixed. The Open GL issue, however, was not fixed. Meaning, when Open GL is activated, I can't do anything else than play the game. Opening Chromium, or doing anything with the desktop, slows down to I don't know what. Seems to be a Raspbian-stretch thing, so maybe it can be fixed somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.