Onitama: The Board Game
Oxenfree
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
World of Warcraft
Portal 2
Artifact
The Castles of Burgundy
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Tabletop Simulator
Tides of Time
Shards of Infinity
Borderlands
BioShock 2
Super Mario World
Saints Row 2
Tales of Phantasia
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario Kart
Mario Kart 64
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
The Movies
Grim Fandango
Diablo II
Diablo III
Super Monkey Ball 2
New Super Mario Bros.
Stunt Race FX
Red Dead Revolver
Impossible Mission
Master of Magic
StarTropics
Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
46 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Video Game» Forums » VGG Related » VGG News

Subject: VGGeek of the Week #211 - Bob Thayne (wildthayne) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: Full name changed at the request of the VGGotW.

Phew! Honestly, I didn't think we'd get here. But we made it!

Part of being the VGGeek of the Week means handing the honour over to someone else worthy of it. My successor is something of an all-round videogaming veteran, a fan of a large variety of games and gaming genres. The guy has poured many an hour into multiplayer Doom sessions, Wolfenstein 3D, Tetris, Diablo II, X-Com, Super Mario Galaxy, Starcraft and stuff I've never even heard of! (Invasion of the Mutant Space Bats of Doom, anyone?)

He likes the Hill Climb Racing series - works for me, in all honesty one of the main reasons I picked him! - and has been around the 'Geek long enough to see VGG grow from the beginning.

Ladies, gentlegeeks, meeples and avatars, I give you... the man formerly known as "Bob"!

Bob Thayne
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's what he has to say:

wildthayne wrote:
At this point I have to consider myself one of the old guard as a video gaming entity. Late night match-ups, computer lab LAN parties, continuous leveling, and online gaming appointments seem to be a thing of the past. That is not to say they won’t re-emerge at some time. At the moment life is a combination of parenting and career, parenting and career, parenting and career, with a broad smattering of other things thrown in.

All that being said, I extend sincere thanks to Dave for selecting me as successor in the VGG GotW tradition. Being a longtime BGG user, I’ve been here since the beginning of VGG and have been somewhat active on VGG, or at least a good lurker sometimes. A few times I've been able to help behind the scenes.

Besides an occasional arcade game mb at a pizza joint, video gaming started for me way back when my dad brought home an Atari 2600 mb. My siblings and I had great fun with it, although it was limited in graphics and sound. Later we added a Commodore 64 mb, which offered an upgrade in immersive experience and added more variety in games with the usage of the floppy disk.

Later came PCs mb with ever increasing graphics resolution, sound capabilities, and innovation. My school roommates and I would have lots of fun with vehicle-based games, including Indy car racing games, Star Wars space combat games, and various early versions of tank wars.

In my world Doom made a huge splash, and it was how I came to learn of LAN parties. In college during the days prior to anything being wireless, it was very handy that I had keys to the computer labs!

Not too long after graduating from college, I obtained a free demo copy of Diablo. This led to a full a copy, and then onward to Diablo II and expansions. I invested many a night into that game!

There were some Starcraft years, as well as many game nights on various consoles, some video board gaming on pads, and then mobile phone games, although I needed to keep the temptations down in recent years with more and more responsibilities.

When the video game genre microbadges were added to VGG, I spent some time analyzing my list of favorite games. My top 10 games came from 10 different VGG genres. I haven’t checked if that is still true, but I found it interesting at the time. It’s probably still true, I’ve only added two other genres to my microbadge collection.

Speaking of microbadges, I love microbadges. I arrived at the Geek looking for game variants, and then became hooked on microbadges. For the VGG side of things, microbadge designs I’ve worked on include:
mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb mb

That's quite the microbadge collection!

And his answers to the obligatory questions:

- What is the worst game you ever played (and why)?
wildthayne wrote:
Some of the worst gaming experiences I had were while trying to play games that were poorly designed (or not designed) for the system or operating system I was trying to play on. Very frustrating. At this point, no particular names are coming to mind. I've blocked them out.

- What is your favorite video game-related memory?
wildthayne wrote:
Probably when I crafted a spine-tingling magic breastplate of upper-level runes and gems for my sorceress in Diablo II that allowed her to stand her ground against bosses while raining down icy death.

- How long was your longest single VG-playing-session ever (and what game(s))?
wildthayne wrote:
Hmm. I've had many late nights playing fun adventures. The longest may have been a map-movement, turn-based, squad-fighting adventure game that my brother-in-law owned. I can't remember the name...

- What is your current platform of choice?
wildthayne wrote:
Mobile phone or PC.

- What are you playing now, and what will you be playing next?
wildthayne wrote:
Puzzle games with my daughter.
Next? I don't know.

- Do you use cheat codes?
wildthayne wrote:
Sometimes. I don't like to use them the first time through a game; I like to experience the game. Later I will use them to make sure I found all the tidbits and secrets and map elements because I don't want to miss out on experiencing those bits. And also I'll use cheat codes for group gaming if it makes the better (meaning more fun) with better ammo, better locations, better movement, etc.

- What is your favorite contribution (of yours or of another user) to VGG (provide a link, if possible)?
wildthayne wrote:
What comes to mind first is this cute little microbadge I helped animate...
mb

Also, hosting a video game holiday haiku contest was fun...
Holiday Haiku. Include video game stuff. Win a microbadge. (WINNERS ANNOUNCED!)

Finally, the all important poll (kindly created by the new GotW himself):

What is my favorite game? (I recommend guessing. Doing research will take all the fun out of it.)
Poll: VGG GotW Quiz
      16 answers
Poll created by wildthayne

Well, Bob, this is your moment!

Good Luck! thumbsup

For more information please visit the following:
https://videogamegeek.com/wiki/page/VGGeek_of_the_Week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sudo Dudaković
Bosnia and Herzegovina
flag msg tools
Looking of wrong spot. Blink, blink.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: VGGeek of the Week #211 - Mr. Koko Monohnuhh, a.k.a. Bob Meep Meef (thanks to my daughter) (wildthayne)
Congrats of you, Bob!

I own two of your microbadge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: VGGeek of the Week #211 - Mr. Koko Monohnuhh, a.k.a. Bob Meep Meef (thanks to my daughter) (wildthayne)
Well, as the retiring / retired GotW, I'll start the questioning.

1) What is your favourite Hill Climb Racing track (if you have one)? I feel I have to ask you something about this game after what I said above. Mine would be the Moon, because low gravity means plenty of opportunities to do tricks!
2) Do you have any favourite videogame music?

Enjoy your (three) week(s)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Bob!

Have you been to the arch in your avatar?

What have you spent the most time playing via LAN?

Enjoy your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Congrats Bob! Have a fun and fruitful week of gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmb
Congratulations, Bob! Hope you enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Bob!

I imagine I own at least 1 of your microbadges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Thayne
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sudo Nimh wrote:
Congrats of you, Bob!

I own two of your microbadge!

Thank you, Sudo.

Yes, I remember we discussed the Hill Climb Racing microbadges in a thread. Were you the one who requested/suggested them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Thayne
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackal2k wrote:
Well, as the retiring / retired GotW, I'll start the questioning.

1) What is your favourite Hill Climb Racing track (if you have one)? I feel I have to ask you something about this game after what I said above. Mine would be the Moon, because low gravity means plenty of opportunities to do tricks!

Enjoy your (three) week(s)!

Thank you, Dave!

1. One of my favorite Hill Climb Racing tracks was the Beach. With a completely maxed out buggy or off-road truck I could go some 4000 meters if I recall correctly. It involved some high hills and deep valleys. (At some point I had to uninstall it on my phone to make space for other things.) I found the Mountain and the Volcano to be fun also with the technical challenge of low-speed climbing. I found the Tank to be one of the most versatile vehicles due to the tight shocks and low bounce factor.

2. The Diablo series music always sticks in my head.

I've never actually played Assassin's Creed, but I have some of Jesper Kyd's theme music in a playlist on Spotify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Thayne
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
Congrats Bob!

Have you been to the arch in your avatar?

What have you spent the most time playing via LAN?

Enjoy your time!

Thank you, Jeff!

1. I've been to Arches National Park in Utah twice. It's a long way out there. Both times I was there, squeezing the hike (however short) out to Delicate Arch did not fit in the trip schedule. When I return again it will be a must.

Have you been there? Do you have a favorite place or park?

2. Early on the most LAN activity was Doom, but in my current life it has been StarCraft II; I have a close friend who considers it one of his favorite games, if not his favorite game.

Back in the early days of computer networking, I remember playing a little space game that had completely 3D flight vectors with solo play against satellite thieves or 4-person, LAN-compatible, head-to-head combat, and THE ENTIRE GAME TOOK UP 32 KILOBYTES OF DISK SPACE. That is some tight code!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Thayne
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
Congrats Bob! Have a fun and fruitful week of gaming!

Thank you, Geoffrey! After I tackle some work deadlines, I'll have to pull out something fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Thayne
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
Congratulations, Bob! Hope you enjoy your week!

Thank you, Rudy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Thayne
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Congratulations Bob!

I imagine I own at least 1 of your microbadges.

Thank you, Tim!

At a glance, I'd say at least 33. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Bob!
Hope you have a wizard of a week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Thayne
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Bob!
Hope you have a wizard of a week!

Thank you, Doug. I wish you the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Thayne
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wildthayne wrote:
Jackal2k wrote:

2. The Diablo series music always sticks in my head...

I just re-listened to the whole thing while at the office. Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Thayne
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone new around here, here is an opportunity for you get a free microbadge from this set:

Choose whichever of these applies to you and let me know either in this thread (or in the VGG QotD thread listed below) and I'll give you the geekgold to purchase it.

You may choose one of the following:
mbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmb

(The offer is extended to the first 25 eligible posters.)

VGG QotD 25 February 2019 - Would you like a VGG microbadge denoting the year you joined the site? (And Bonus Question)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Weston-super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Bob!

Do you have any games that link to a specific memory? Time, place, occasion, etc?

For example I always associate listening to the Guns 'n' Roses Live Era album with my brothers with Final Fantasy VIII since we were listening to it pretty much exclusively while playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratz Bob!!

My questions:

mb - Who/what is your avatar? already answered. Did you have any avatars before the arch? What were they?
mb - What was your first computer/console?
mb - What was your first videogame?
mb - Do you mostly game alone or multiplayer?
mb - What genre of games is your favourite and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When did you first play Empire, and on what platform? (I assume that a VGG grognard like you has played it at least once).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
designer
Check my profile to learn more about these...
badge
I'm thinking of something intelligent to say... this may take a while!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Bob!

coollaughmeeple

One little thing, though...

Who would be VGGeek of the Week must answer me these questions three, 'ere the other side he see.

What is your name?

What is your quest?

What is your favorite color?

laugh laugh laugh laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Miller
United States
Winchendon
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Memoir '44 World Cup Tournament Organizer - Red Eyed Jack
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Bob!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Please remove your cursor from my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Bob!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Bob! Can you please expound on your obsession with moray eels?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Thayne
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happyshopper wrote:
Congratulations Bob!

Do you have any games that link to a specific memory? Time, place, occasion, etc?

For example I always associate listening to the Guns 'n' Roses Live Era album with my brothers with Final Fantasy VIII since we were listening to it pretty much exclusively while playing the game.

Thank you, James!

I played an all-nighter once at my future brother-in-law's place. He had a five-disc changer, and I listened to random tracks of the same five albums all night long. I believe the tray included Very by Pet Shop Boys, Transformers Original Soundtrack (1986), and So by Peter Gabriel. The other two are escaping me at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.