Gish
Battleground 3: Waterloo
Heroes of the Lance
Blades of Vengeance
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
What genre of games do you play most often?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably have to say I play sports games most often. I love a good franchise or career mode in a sports game, and given the lack of time associated with adulthood, my schedule is more conducive to playing something like Madden. That said, RPGs are probably the games I'm playing most often when I have time for a longer gaming session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely third-person 3D action adventure games, like the more recent Legend of Zelda, Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted, etc. I also love it when there are puzzle and platforming involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Definitely third-person 3D action adventure games, like the more recent Legend of Zelda, Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted, etc. I also love it when there are puzzle and platforming involved.

Awesome! There have been a number of fantastic titles in this genre over the past few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Cell phones.
badge
What do prisoners use to call each other?
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGs -- when I have time and I want to play something enjoyable.

Then, first person shooters -- for quick stress reliefs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of answers are already given in this poll.

But to repeat here, I'm mainly a strategy gamer. I'll also play RPGs and other kinds of games sometimes. I shy away from action games usually, though--except for RTS games and submarine sims.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:

Probably this for me, especially in the last couple of years. Back in the 90's and early 2000s, it would have been turned based RPGs probably, but I find myself not spending as much time which super lengthy games anymore. I have almost 110 hours on Disgaea for the Switch, but that's more so because of it being portable and easy to play for quick bursts. On my PS4, the last few games have been action adventure. I'm working through Yakuza Kiwami 2 right now, and I was playing LEGO Marvel Super Heroes and Resident Evil 2 Remake recently too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sudo Dudaković
Bosnia and Herzegovina
flag msg tools
Looking of wrong spot. Blink, blink.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some 4x, some Action, some Racing...

Patrick Carroll wrote:
Lots of answers are already given in this poll.

I am needing to review some types!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joerg Schaefer
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adventures, Visual Novels, Walking Sims and everything in between are the genres I play most often. But I'm starting to play more Action Adventures as I've discovered that I mostly can cope with the action part and that it actually can be fun. I want to play RPGs more but I usually hesitate to start one due to the length of them.

Through the genres, I have a strong bias towards indie games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGs, more than anything. Some turn-based strategy. The odd narrative focused game (walking simulators, for example). Some games that sit on the action-RPG continuum, anywhere from more heavily on the RPG side (the odd Elder Scrolls game) to action games like Assassin's Creed II or Uncharted 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGs for me mostly. Especially epic, sprawling types like Dragon Age and Witcher 3. Also, some JRPG. I really love a good isometric RPG, and would love to see more of those produced. I also play games like Tomb Raider and the amazing Yakuza 0, which I guess are action-adventure, but sometimes feel like stripped-down RPGs.

I've enjoyed some strategy games in the past, and would like to find some more that grab my interest. I recently jumped into Homeworld Remastered, having enjoyed the original back in the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
RPGs and Turn Based Strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoSch wrote:
I want to play RPGs more but I usually hesitate to start one due to the length of them.

Same here. I love RPGs, but I don't play them as much as I would like because I like to know I can devote the necessary amount of time, which is a rarity the older I get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mb
I like to play a mixture of everything. I switch to different games after each one. I'll play a FPS, then I switch to a platformer, or a racing game, then maybe a simulation, then back to a 3rd person Shooter. etc.

However, I mostly end up spending the most time playing FPS or RPG adventure games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a practical matter, MMORPGs. I get on with Smudge about 4-5 days a week.

Past that, definitely grand-strategy games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
It has to be a tie between platformers and puzzles, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I have the most hours in stuff like Dark Souls and Binding of Isaac, I just don't play many of those types of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, my gaming is equally divided between adventure, roguelikes, RPGs, and sandbox games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FPS - specifically Battle Royale, the mode/sub-genre I never knew that I would like until it came into being! LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S.
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Action games with “RPG” elements. This runs the gamut from The Witcher to Bloodborne to Borderlands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't really say. Genre getting the most play just depends on whether some specific game currently has more focus between various things I might be playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played mostly strategy games this year and late last year. I will get back into rpgs with the rerelease of Final Fantasy XII and Dragon Quest XI on the Switch. I also miss playing FPS but I either have to buy a controller for my PC or get an Xbox to really enjoy FPS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
JoSch wrote:
I want to play RPGs more but I usually hesitate to start one due to the length of them.

Same here. I love RPGs, but I don't play them as much as I would like because I like to know I can devote the necessary amount of time, which is a rarity the older I get.
I find true RPGs a bit of a drag sometimes, because there is so much to do in the (many) menus organising gear and skills etc and I don't find that side of it as fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I find true RPGs a bit of a drag sometimes, because there is so much to do in the (many) menus organising gear and skills etc and I don't find that side of it as fun.

I actually love that aspect. I've spent countless happy hours digging around in the menus of games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea: Hour of Darkness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Single-player RPGs.

They're the most popular of the genres that I like and the most likely to get AAA releases.

My other preferred genres are:

Point-and-Click
Visual Novels
Puzzles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.