Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
On March 4th, 2000, the Playstation 2 launched in Japan. It's gone on to become the best selling home console of all time, and has one of the most successful game libraries as well.

I thought we could celebrate by listing the top games (maybe 10 or 20) that really stood out for you.

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness - I can't talk about top Playstation 2 games without bringing up the original Disgaea. This game forever changed my life. I quickly became my #1 game, and the Disgaea series has essentially held that spot ever since.

Ratchet & Clank - The original R&C and the others on the PS2 are some of my all time favorites. The 3rd game "Up Your Arsenal" is still my favorite of the series, which was on the PS2.

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana - The Atelier Iris trilogy on the PS2 weren't the first Atelier games, but they were the ones that got me into the series. I now own, and have played most of the Atelier games since that point, as well as Mana Khemia, another PS2 great.

Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia - The two PS2 titles in the Ar Tonelico series were absolutely fantastic.

Champions of Norrath - Champions of Norrath and the sequel, Return to Arms, were some of the best co-op games I played on the system, and were kind of like the console version of a Diablo II type game. I loved gaining new spells and finding new loot.

God of War (2005) - Another start of a legacy. The PS2 God of War games were grand in scope, amazing in combat, and definitely pushed the boundaries of the system.

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus (2005). ICO was an impressive game, but Shadow of the Colossus was, and still is, a masterpiece.

The PS2 was home to some of my all time favorite horror games:

Fatal Frame 1-3
Siren 1-2
Resident Evil 4, Code Veronica X, Outbreak 1-2
Haunting Ground
Rule of Rose
Obscure 1-2

We also had a huge helping of JRPGs:

Final Fantasy X, X2, XI, XII
Wild Arms 3-5
Xenosaga 1-3
Kingdom Hearts 1-2
Suikoden 3-5
Star Ocean 3
.hack
Persona 3-4

I think I could list games for the next couple of hours, so I'm going to stop there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Katamari Damacy
DQVIII
God of War
Ico vs Shadow of Colossus. SOTC had a couple impressive boss fights and many forgettable boss fights. It was a boss rush game where instead of a rush you wandered around looking for the next boss. Ico was one of the most amazing games I have ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really enjoyed Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Final Fantasy X~ I became a fan of the FF series with VII but FFX brought the game to a new level. The graphics and FMV blew me away. Gameplay was a lot of fun especially with its unique xp system. Character growth was not set in stone like its previous iterations. After the (somewhat) disappointment with IX, X lived up to my expectation.

Jak and Dexter~ What sold me about the game initially was the promise of what you can see, you can visit. What I mean is that if you see something in the distance, you can go there eventually and explore. I may be wrong but I think this game also did away with (or drastically decreased) the loading time when entering a new area. Other than that, the gameplay was a lot of fun and the story was good and hilarious.

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance~ The Forgotten Realms is one of my favorite settings. This game allowed me to play Drizzt, one of the most recognizable character in the setting. The game also supported co-op play.

Maximo~ I love the Ghosts 'n Goblin game and this was a spiritual successor to the series. I loved the new 3D open world platform look of the game. The game had a lot of humor and that old school feel despite the transfer to a 3D model.

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne~ I love Pokemon and this was a much more mature version of it. I loved the dark story and catching demons. I can't believe it took a long time for the main series to come back to the USA (SMT IV on the 3DS).

Hot Shots Golf~ I am terrible at golf in real life but was a bad ass in PGA Tour for the Macintosh. I picked this up and had so much fun with friends. In fact, my friends picked the game up soon after playing it with me.

SSX 3~ My friends and I were blown away when Tricky came out but SSX 3 is the best iteration of the 3. When is a new one coming out?!

Frequency~ my first foray into rhythm games.

Herdy Gerdy~ A game where you herd different unruly species. Each had their own personalities and behavior patterns . It had beautiful graphics and an enjoyable gameplay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I was far less likely (back then) than I am now, to play or even like console games being a die-hard PC gamer back then, I did break down and pick up a system to play the first and second God of War games as they were awesome.

Other than that, I didn't care much for the PS2, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm...

My PS2 Top 5 would probably be:

Persona 3: FES
Okami
Ico
Final Fantasy XII
Bully

Honorable mentions to both Katamari games, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, God of War II, Shadow of the Colossus, and Metal Gear Solid 3.

I thought the system was pretty over-rated in its earlier years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I never owned a PS2, but I enjoyed

Final Fantasy X - my favourite FF
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus (2005)
Ōkami - best Zelda game on PS
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Beyond Good & Evil
Tales of Symphonia

played either on the Wii (using Gamecube emulation) or PS3 (HD versions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:

Definitely a good one. I really enjoyed the first game, but I couldn't get into the 2nd one as much for some reason. I don't think I ever played Jak 3. I need to try it out at some point as I have both the original PS2 version and the PS3 one.

Oni no board wrote:

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance~ The Forgotten Realms is one of my favorite settings. This game allowed me to play Drizzt, one of the most recognizable character in the setting. The game also supported co-op play.

Frequency~ my first foray into rhythm games.

Two amazing games which had slipped my mind. Dark Alliance, like Champions of Norrath, took a lot of my time. I remember spending hours duplicating equipment using a save game trick (you could load in a character in co-op, drop the equipment, and reload the character to have all your equipment still).

Frequency started me down a long path of rhythm games. From Frequency I went to Amplitude, then went to the Korean game series DJMAX. I dabbled in a bunch of other music games as well, but I think Frequency was the first big one.

Looking at my collection again, I'm surprised I forgot the Sly Cooper series. I didn't play these games when they were new on the PS2, but I ended up getting the Sly Collection on PS3 and absolutely loved the games.

For some off the wall PS2 games, I really enjoyed the following:

Disaster Report and Raw Danger (Disaster Report 2 essentially). These two games had horrible localizations, but were still a surprising amount of fun. The later two games in the Zettai Zetsumei Toshi series haven't made it to the states, although the 4th game was just released a few months ago in Japan. I'll likely import it once it drops to a decent price.

Trapt - This game was actually the first game I played in the Tecmo's Deception series, and I really liked it. I liked it so much that I actually sought out the other games in the series. Trapt is known as Kagero II in Japan, which is a sequel to the second game in the Deception series.

Mister Mosquito - A wacky Japanese game where you play a mosquito who needs to suck the blood of a Japanese family in their home.

Tsugunai: Atonement - An interesting JRPG where you possess the bodies of different people in a town to help them overcome things they couldn't do before.

Radiata Stories - A fantastic Square-Enix JRPG where all of the NPCs in the town had their own lives and schedules. In order to do things or recruit people, you would need to find them at the right time of day, either at their homes, at work, or somewhere in between. It's not the first game to do this, but I found it pretty awesome at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about "best games", but for "memorable", maybe:
Final Fantasy X
Devil May Cry
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Dynasty Warriors 3
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (and part 2)
Odin Sphere
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odin Sphere was really cool - for some reason I didn't get into it until years later for the PS4 remaster Odin Sphere Leifthrasir. Another very late entry in the library as well, and a surprisingly important game if, like me, you ended up following vanillaware's work (Muramasa: The Demon Blade etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Please remove your cursor from my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed several of the games you mentioned as well. When I think back to the PlayStation 2 era, some of my most fond memories are associated with these games:

Tony Hawk's Underground
Tony Hawk's Underground 2
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
God of War II
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Resident Evil 4
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Ape Escape 2
Madden NFL 08

I could name several more, but these are the ones that immediately came to mind. I played them multiple times over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always admired the system, but didn't get one until I bought one off a friend in '07. From what I've played, my favourite games are:

Persona 3
Persona 4
SSX Tricky
Final Fantasy X
Dragon Quest VIII
Robotech: Battle Cry (it wasn't good, but I liked it)
God of War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I started off playing Tekken on PS2, but when I got my own, I played some Colin McRae and Pacman.

I favourites on PS2 are:
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Brave: A Warrior's Tale
Harry Potter franchise (minus the fourth installment)
Buzz: both quiz and Junior.

I am sad that I don`t get to play them anymore...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Top 10 PS2 games, in no particular order, and I'll probably realise later I've forgotten something I actually like:

1) Bully - All I need to say is that I listed it as one of my top 5 games of all time;
2) The Sims 2 (Console) - Had fun with it back in the day, had fun with it playing Kelly and Amy;
3) Tekken Tag Tournament - Had fun with it back in the day. Also, bowling;
4) Tony Hawk's Underground - I'm getting a bit fed up saying "had fun with it back in the day", but really, that is the case with a number of my nominations. This was one of the best of the series, ridiculously customisable;
5) Guitar Hero II - Rekindled an interest in music rhythm action games for me. I considered filling this list with three of these games! shake
6) SSX 3 - The best snowboarding game bar none. I'm in disagreement with myself over not making it my GotY 2017.
7) Rocky (2002) - Having the Rocky Statue as a playable character is hilarious, and this game was a pleasant enough experience last year, when those were incredibly rare;
8) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - You could listen to Ozzy Osbourne on the radio, eat until you puked and fly a jetpack about. I never did get very far in it;
9) Dark Cloud - I need to fill my list with more RPG-esque games, so I'll go with the "Sim City meets Dungeon Crawler" game that I enjoyed the demo of back in the day;
10) TimeSplitters 2 - I wasted so much time in the MapMaker! Think I had a co-op campaign going on at one point as well. I still play this even today... albeit on the GameCube. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
badge
A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) SSX Tricky. Best arcade racer ever. Tried SSX3, but it didn't hold my interest, as I found it to be a bit less zany that Tricky, which I love.

2) TimeSplitters: Future Perfect. Played a lot of Timesplitters 2 couch multiplayer, then Future Perfect came along, and played even more of that.

3) Micro Machines V4. More couch multiplayer. PS2 came at a time where I was extremely reticent of single player games (FF VIII is to blame), and most of my gaming was local multiplayer stuff.

4) Kuri Kuri Mix. Best two player co-op game I've played to date, hands down.

5) SoulCalibur III. Goofy characters and tons of silly mechanisms made for a super fun... You guessed it: couch multiplayer game. Nunchaku Elvis Maxi was our local favourite.

6) Dynasty Warriors 3. Mowing armies was fun. Mowing armies with a friend even moreso.

7) Shadow of the Colossus (2005). The only non-multiplayer game of the list, which I played years later, thanks to VGG. Awkard controls, but is it immersive and unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. I've never actually completed a PS2 game until recently. Those would be Suikoden III (I was at the final boss) and Kingdom Hearts.

I also spent a lot of time with Disgaea: Hour of Darkness and Star Ocean: Till the End of Time. Need to go back and finish them. Currently playing Final Fantasy X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The top of the heap is easy:
Final Fantasy X
Kingdom Hearts

Just starting Kingdom Hearts II, and so far it's living up to the first one.

I've started Suikoden III, and need to get back to it. Smudge played through and felt it didn't live up to some of the promise and opening, but it still looks good enough for me to want to get back to.

There's a few more that look interesting, but I haven't gotten or gotten to playing the copy we eventually ended up with (notably Katamari, Ico and Okage).

And there's all the PS1 games played on the PS2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played in a limited fashion via others' PS2s. IIRC, there was one of the Twisted Metal Gear games, and Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (if not 3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.