Onitama: The Board Game
Oxenfree
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
World of Warcraft
Portal 2
Artifact
The Castles of Burgundy
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Tabletop Simulator
Tides of Time
Shards of Infinity
Borderlands
BioShock 2
Super Mario World
Saints Row 2
Tales of Phantasia
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario Kart
Mario Kart 64
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
The Movies
Grim Fandango
Diablo II
Diablo III
Super Monkey Ball 2
New Super Mario Bros.
Stunt Race FX
Red Dead Revolver
Impossible Mission
Master of Magic
StarTropics
Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that's bugged me was when disdain was shown for freemium/f2p games, they would say how awful some of them were (some of them were... premium currencies, energy/time meters, MTX done in the worst possible ways, what have you), but then compare them to the "golden years", of decades past. "How would you like it if Super Mario Bros. or The Legend Of Zelda had MTX?" they'd ask. I wouldn't like it. That would've had a more negative impression on me as far as vg were concerneed

OTOH, these folks seem to miss out on a very major thing, and that is, with those particular 2 games (to use as examples), they came out in 1985/6. Your typical NES game cost $50 back. With some of the "freemiums", you could at least try them out since they were free. Even if it had an upfront cost, it wouldn't be more than a few $'s.

If you paid $50 for a game today, "the world is your deep fried oyster". You may only get a fraction of the value if you paid $50 on mobile (assuming such games of equivalent caliber existed on that platform), but you can still get into console, full PC games (including on Steam), and handhelds (like 3DS, PSP... not cell phone ones, which is the distinction between "handhelds" vs. "mobile".

Also, that was $50 in 1986 money, so taking into account inflation, that's actually about $100 in today's money

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Also, that was $50 in 1986 money, so taking into account inflation, that's actually about $100 in today's money

so a typical game today + its DLC

You mention trying freemium games because they are free, demos were once common.

I show distain of freemium games because of their predatory business practices and giving the player less of a game. Perhaps going back a few less years would be helpful. Compare the star wars battlefronts. There was a game with a large amount of content and when they came back to it recently they gave the players less meaningful content, something like a third of the maps (I'm shooting from the hip on that stat)

We compare to what we had in the past because it seems we got more back then. Why and how are we moving to get a less appetizing product? This is an industry we should be seeing improvements left and right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how age factors into the comparison. You can also just pick a well-loved traditional-price-model game from 5 years ago, rather than 30.

...what is it that you want out of this thread? Are you seriously asking us to go over the full spectrum of criticism of microtransactions here, in 2019? Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I don't see how age factors into the comparison. You can also just pick a well-loved traditional-price-model game from 5 years ago, rather than 30.

...what is it that you want out of this thread? Are you seriously asking us to go over the full spectrum of criticism of microtransactions here, in 2019? Why?

?? To just have frank a discussion on how games were on a "traditional model", vs. how things have gotten now, and just how different things really were back then?

also, I'm honestly not sure how you inferred what I posted was a cry to "go over the full spectrum...."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.