United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
who wrote
Quote:
For the last 15 years I've predominantly played a single genre; in fact, a single game. Yet, over those same 15 years, I amassed a collection of over 30 consoles and close to 800 physical video games.

How does your gaming track record compare to that? Do you also collect a lot of games and gaming equipment? Do you stick to one genre or game, like Drew, or do you play a wide variety of games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I don't log my plays or anything like that, I'm not really sure what my "track record" is. But my digital libraries probably contain a couple hundred games by now. I've restrained my buying, but I still shop.

As to playing games, well, I'm always in a state of tension over that. What I tell myself I'd like to do is pick one good strategy game and play it exclusively, over and over, until I'm good at it. And I often set out to do just that. But then, when I become aware of how much time and work is involved, I get discouraged and switch to some other game.

So, I've been playing a lot of Age of Wonders III since I bought it last September. But I've also played half a dozen other games during that time. And sometimes I wonder why I ever play anything besides Master of Orion.

I tend to buy big, long, complex games because I dream of happily whiling away countless hours playing each one and learning to play better. But by the time I've finished the tutorial, I think, Whoa--this game will take up the rest of my life! Then I'm kinda sad and confused, because I have several other such games I'd love to play, but I only have this one lifetime (or maybe not, but I'm not going to reincarnate just to be able to play more games).

I'd have to say variety means more to me than I'm usually willing to admit. I hate the thought of being just a dabbler, but I have to at least rotate between several different games. And try some new ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Dyke
England
London, England.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
God no, it's the bane of my gaming life...

I like sports, play FIFA, NBA2k, Golf, Madden and NHL, I love RPG's both Sci-Fy and Fantasy, I love Action/Sandbox games such as GTA, Just Cause, Assassins Creed, Hitman...

I like too much and with Game Pass, Xbox Live Gold Games and EA Access, I have 130 games installed right now, and my Board Game Collection is now over 30...

I need help... I think?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I'm a diverse gamer. I never get stuck on one game even though I do have favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love trying all sorts of boardgames.

Videogames I mostly gravitate to RPGs and certain other types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play almost any genre of video game (and board game for that matter), but I avoid visual novels. I'm not a big reader as it is. I don't have the attention span for it, and whenever I'm reading something longer than an article, I keep asking myself if there's something else I could be doing.

I also avoid metroidvania for the most part. I don't mind when some games have back tracking, but I don't particularly care for a game that has you re-tracking through most of it over and over again to pad the game length, at least not since 1995. When a game totes itself on being metroidvania, that's a negative thing in my particular view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Please remove your cursor from my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. I play games belonging to any number of genres, from AAA sports titles to obscure visual novels. Like films, video games are experiences to me, and I have always enjoyed having as many different experiences as possible. And what I want out of those experiences changes based on the genre of game I'm playing. Plus, I figure there are just too many good experiences out there to limit myself to a particular genre or comfort zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something I've alluded to recently in my blog here on the Geek, but in general I try to have a mixed diet of genres and games. I tend to treat games like books or movies in this regard - I like a bit of variety (I'm comfortable with more in video games than in literature or cinema, where I tend to stick to a handful of genres), but I mostly want to play a thing once, complete it if possible, and then move on to another thing.

Recently, I've found some value in sticking to a single game if I really like it, but that's mostly for highly replayable genres like 4X strategy games or board-game-like experiences, with perhaps a smattering of rogue-likes.

For the most part, the answer for me is Yes, variety IS the spice of life. That's one of the reasons why I tend to avoid multiplayer games which usually have a handful of play modes that you're just expected to play with improvement and mastery in mind, which has never been a huge motivation with me and still isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
I'm not a big reader as it is.

ghostpants wrote:
Like films, video games are experiences to me, and I have always enjoyed having as many different experiences as possible.

Lord_Kristof wrote:
I tend to treat games like books or movies in this regard - I like a bit of variety (I'm comfortable with more in video games than in literature or cinema, where I tend to stick to a handful of genres).

Funny--I just recently wrote a blog article on games, books, and movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my favorites that I like to return to over and over, and I also like to try out new things. I typically go in phases between playing old favorites or trying new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play RPGs, but once in a while I'll play something else that strikes my fancy. I used to never replay games, but now I have a couple that I speedrun.

I don't buy a lot of new games because I have quite a lot in my backlog. I put a lot of stuff on my wishlist and then will buy it when it gets to a low price (usually under $5 for digital or $10 for physical copies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like variety. Good, for me, is sometimes a function of different, and I find the unique (at least with respect to games, but probably more broadly than that) desirable in its own right. I'll happily play an otherwise bad game that does something I haven't seen before.

At the same time, there are certain traits I am naturally drawn to in games (exploration, interesting systems I can do things with, a robust and immersive world), and certain genres, like RPGs, tend to do that sort of thing better. So I focus on those genres. I just don't hang out there exclusively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to mix up genres, at least with the next game I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Is variety the spice of life for you, as a gamer?

Not really, but I don't just play one or a few games either. I could certainly play several games pretty indefinitely if they're solid enough, but I like a lot of games. Not for the sake of liking a lot of things, or variety specifically. I mean, I dislike heaps of things. Variety isn't the spice of life, but good gaming certainly is.

But, as far as things I like, I do want to find them, to enjoy what's good, and in a way, to save them so I feel like I know they are there for me (or for someone of my taste). I like a library more than a collection. I'm not looking for completeness or pure acquisition.

I definitely don't collect game hardware or old physical games. Emulators are wonderful things, as far as I'm concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play easy action/platformer games. When it comes to puzzle games, it's pretty much only Tetris-like games and bubble-poppers. There's only one RPG series I play: Pokemon. There's only one fighting game series I play: Super Smash Bros. There's only one racing game series I play: Mario Kart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm somewhere in the middle.

I spend the most time with stealth games and RPGs, which I love, but also play Metroidvanias, adventure games, squad-based tactical games, platformers, open-world action games...

But, I don't spend any time on sports games, MMOs, most first-person shooters, and some others.

So, some variety, but there are still games that I rule out without giving it any real thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.