Popular Tags: [View All]
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering getting a PS4. I mostly game on the PC but after watching Death Stranding video it looks very interesting.
I'm looking at some of the Playstation exclusives and trying to decide if it's worth it.

Some of the games I'm interested in are;
Spiderman
Detroit Become Human
Uncharted Series
Horizon Zero Dawn
Red Dead Redemption 2 (I know this isn't exactly an exclusive but it's not on PC yet nor has it been announced for PC)

I'm also looking at PSNow service for some of the games on there; God of War, Metal Gear series, and a couple of others. However this looks to be available on PC without a Playstation console. Does anyone have any experience with this and how it works exactly? Is there any input lag and other issues with it?

I'm also looking at the difference between the slim and the pro version of the console. I don't think I would use the 4k yet and probably not in the near future. Is it still worth the difference to run the games faster and smoother?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a PS4 because of exclusives. Specifically, all of the From Software titles (Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and the soon-to-be-released Sekiro), and I have not regretted it. Those titles alone are totally worth it, but I like the console and controllers for many other titles as well. (Account and library management are pretty good, but not perfect. The online store has a pretty clunky interface, but I rarely use it...)

Spiderman is great. The Uncharted games are pretty darn good, rich in story, (which means a tad to many cutscenes for my taste, but it's not awful), and a lot of good Tomb-Raider-style action and puzzle sequences. I've watched a lot of RDR2 gameplay, and it looks amazing, but it's the type of game that would wear me out. (It's like Grand Theft Auto on steroids, in terms of the world size, mission number, side missions, etc.)

I had a PS2 and a PS3 in the past, and so I love the layout of the controllers. Switching between them and other consoles is not seamless, though.

I have subscribed to the online features for use in several multiplayer games and it works fine for all of them. The software company itself usually has to have a good server design, so bad online experiences are usually their fault, and aren't because of the PS4 itself, or the console online subscription. (This is in contrast to, say, the Nintendo Switch.) Some of the Dark Souls games have terrible online matching, for example, but other titles that are objectively more demanding (like Overwatch) are excellent.

I don't know about the slim version, but the pro version basically can pre-load content at opportune times. It essentially reduces the duration of "loading screens," and eliminates screen hang when you transition between game areas. It did not seem worth it to me, and is primarily of interest to professional streamers (so their chat doesn't get bored), competitive speedrunners (so that wall-clock time is closer to in-game time), and people who are extremely impatient.

I hope this helps a bit. If I'm off on anything I hope others will correct me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Mitchell
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only From Software exclusive is Bloodborne, buuut it's really good - maybe the best from them only to be played on Ps4 if that's your thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sputnikam wrote:
I think the only From Software exclusive is Bloodborne, buuut it's really good - maybe the best from them only to be played on Ps4 if that's your thing.

Ack. Of course. I knew that. Really I did. (I own DS on three platforms, fer cryin' out loud.)

Thanks for catching that. Anyway, I got a PS4 for Bloodborne, and do not regret it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joerg Schaefer
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also interested in games like RDR2 or Detroit: Become Human but for every PS4 exclusive there are so many alternative games available for PC I can play instead. My existing Steam library alone could carry me across half of the next decade.

I got controllers for my PC. That's as close as I'll ever get to a console feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Lone Jack
Missouri
flag msg tools
evil appears as good in the minds of those whom gods lead to destruction
badge
The Battle on the Ice, ending in a major defeat in the Northern Crusades.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if the PS5 will be backward compatible. The PS4 does have some pretty good games, and with the next gen coming around the corner, you'd think the you would see more discounts for the current generation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steven1mac wrote:
I wonder if the PS5 will be backward compatible. The PS4 does have some pretty good games, and with the next gen coming around the corner, you'd think the you would see more discounts for the current generation.
The rumors say yes. I skipped the PS4 because of lack of backwards compatibility, but I am considering getting a PS5 if the rumors are true. I'll still probably wait quite a bit, though because I have no shortage of games to play and don't usually buy anything at release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a PS4 for Christmas, no regrets at all. There's more than enough great exclusives to make it an easy buy to have with your pc. I just got the regular, I don't think the pro is worth the extra bucks, especially with PS5 coming down the pipe in a year or two.

I did the PS Now thing as well a couple of years ago, and while that was very good and I had no issues with lag or bandwidth, having the games on an actual console is definitely better.

You also need Last of Us on your list. And Beyond Two Souls / Heavy Rain if Detroit has your interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Blackford
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting a console can be a nice supplement to PC gaming, though the longer load times compared to PC in many games will mean you probably want to prefer the PC version in the cases they are available.

I have not played PSNow specifically, but from trying out similar services like OnLive as well as Remote Play across my own network I can tell you that the lag can be a big issue or no problem depending on what you're playing and how you play it. When extremely precise controls are needed like in a fighting game, the lag just won't cut it. When you're playing an action game, the lag will be noticeable and make landing precise attacks more difficult, but it may not be gamebreaking. When you're playing anything slow and deliberate, like a turn-based RPG or a game that focuses on stealthy setups and ambushes, you may not notice a problem at all.

I personally still prefer Gamefly to PSNow though since I can play newer games (though still with some limits of supply) and the focus on one disc at a time forces me to actually get through the game I'm playing. And I still get the benefit of sticking to a budget. That said if you can try PSNow on PC then you may as well just try it, what have you got to lose?

I've had a regular PS4 and a PS4 Pro and while the Pro is definitely nicer I'm too old school to really say it's necessary. I've played on crappy old computers with crappy old graphics and bad framerate for too long to find the marginal increase from base to Pro to be vital. However, you may want to spend some of that money on a hard disk upgrade if you end up getting a lot of games digitally instead of streaming or renting them. I find that convenience a lot more important than performance upgrades. I still notice significant loading times on my PS4 Pro, especially on certain games like Monster Hunter World that have to load between every mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it costs money, I have succumbed to a PS+ subscription (it's cheapest to buy a whole year on sale) because it allows you to upload your save files to the cloud (it will happen semi-automatically whenever you switch to a different user). I had a crash and lost all my saves one time and that was no fun. PS+ does give you free games each month, this month I got COD4:MW which is a great (old) game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Although it costs money, I have succumbed to a PS+ subscription (it's cheapest to buy a whole year on sale)

This. I usually get the full year for about 30% off the normal price.

Also, it probably benefits me more than the average gamer because I play a wide range of things, but you get all of your money back and then some just from all the deep discounts and "free" games that are exclusive to PS+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
Although it costs money, I have succumbed to a PS+ subscription (it's cheapest to buy a whole year on sale)

Also, it probably benefits me more than the average gamer because I play a wide range of things, but you get all of your money back and then some just from all the deep discounts and "free" games that are exclusive to PS+
On the downside, it does let your son or daughter play Fortnite soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
manukajoe wrote:

On the downside, it does let your son or daughter play Fortnite soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the Pro, it's worth it.

Detroit: Become Human isn't that great, sadly.

God of War and Spider-man are worth getting a PS4 Pro alone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.