Operation Wolf
Flight Commander 2
Bubsy 3D: Furbitten Planet
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Please remove your cursor from my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
This question is inspired by the discussion on yesterday's QOTD submitted by

p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb

as well as his very interesting blog post.

What are your primary motivations for playing video games? Is it to master it inside and out, be told a great story, or entertained similar to film/books? Perhaps something else entirely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun and relaxing. I like best if I can explore a world in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escapism and Skinner Box rewards.

My job is fairly stressful, and being able to disconnect from that and distract my brain with a bounded, understandable environment is like a little mini-vacation for me.

Add rewards, or even just recognition, for missions accomplished (or achievements unlocked!) and this introvert is as happy as a pig in mud on a hot day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read my comment on yesterday's QOTD, you know I tend to think of video games as no different than film, television, or books. While video gaming is its own unique medium, I find myself gravitating towards games for the same reason I do those other forms of entertainment. For instance, story is one of the most important aspects of a game to me, just as it would be in a film or book. Even in games that don't really have a "story," such as a sports game, I tend to create my own narrative in my head. If I'm playing Madden NFL 19, I'm trying to right the sinking ship that is the Denver Broncos or grow from a rookie quarterback to a franchise veteran and make my hometown proud. In many cases, I'm happy to play something with limited or even poor gameplay (within reason) if it has a strong story that keeps me interested.

This is why games like Heavy Rain, The Walking Dead, and Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5 are right up my alley. They're almost like movies that you get to interact with, but often tell better stories in the process.

Of course, I'm also motivated by things like competition, mastering getting better at a game, building a stronger character, etc. Depending on the type of game, some of those might wind up being more important than others. But I gravitate towards games with strong and engaging narratives more so than others.

I view video games as "experiences," which is admittedly a vague and difficult to articulate term in this case. But generally speaking, when I think of gaming, I'm not out to master the mechanics or become the best player. I want to hear good storytelling, and having some fun gameplay to go along with that always helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
Fun and relaxing. I like best if I can explore a world in a game.

Verdigris97 wrote:
Escapism and Skinner Box rewards.

My job is fairly stressful, and being able to disconnect from that and distract my brain with a bounded, understandable environment is like a little mini-vacation for me

I think both of your responses go along with my answer as well. When I watch a film, it's 2 hours of me forgetting about the rest of the world. It's as if all that matters is what's going on in the universe that the film takes place in. I see video games in the same light. But even better, they're far more immersive in most cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Escapism and the chance to immerse myself in a fictional world used to be the primary motivation for me. Nowadays, relaxation is increasingly taking its place - I need more and more time to really get into a game, and I have less of it each year, it seems. In addition, living with my partner and having both PCs in the same room means that immersion is hard to come by, too many distractions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good for my fingers and my brain, I like getting things accomplished, and it's like a regular visit with favorite characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
For the long answer, see my blog post mentioned at the top of this thread.

Short answer: I play games primarily for the joy of learning.

Short elaboration: My impetus for gaming is a desire to escape into something fun and entertaining. But once I'm there, I busy myself with figuring things out, trying to make things happen, working toward a goal. All of that involves learning--gathering and processing information and/or building and employing skills.

I can find satisfaction in a game without a story (e.g., checkers or Pong), but I can't imagine enjoying a game that doesn't involve learning.

Then again, focusing too intensely on the learning (e.g., trying to optimize moves and such) can spoil the fun. A balanced approach works best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game! I can play to explore a world, to lose myself in a story, to be surprised, amused, challenged, to relax, to achieve, to socialize, to unwind from people, to see numbers go up, to make things go splat, to have easily defined and achievable and rewarded goals, pure escapism with no real purpose, or any subset of the aforementioned.

I guess "enjoyment" if I had to name one overarching one. But for me playing Agricola with friends has different motivations than playing Skyrim alone has different motivations than playing a clicker has different motivations than a CCG, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Revenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
To stay mentally sharp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Dyke
England
London, England.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would say primarily for escapism, they are my interactive movies. I don't ever really play Ranked or competitive anymore.

A close secondary reason would be for the bonding, it's a great way to play with friends that have moved away and started their own families. Whether they be across continents or only a 2hr car drive, it's great to catch up online and save the world at the same time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pure recreation as some have mentioned here, but I am also voracious for stories. I absolutely love to read but being able to interact with the story (the good ones, anyway) adds so much more depth to the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, it's for game play. I like interacting with interesting systems and just doing things. I don't care for story in games, or cinematics, or player competition, and while I certainly get into games, learning and playing, I don't set out just to master it in and out.

I just like the feeling of playing well in a good game, for whatever "well" is for where I am with that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
entertained similar to film/books

There we have it. But video games is a completely other medium, as you're (usually) much more in control. But yeah, I'm usually there for the immersion, the sense of involvement. Exploring, seeing. I don't care much about besting myself or my peers. Solving clues is usually a very compatible mechanism with what I want of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't just one motivation.

It's how I prefer to spend my time - so much so I made it my job. I play games to relax, to wake up, to immerse myself in other worlds, to see what games are out there for comparison, to stretch my mind. I play games because I love to solve puzzles, because I want to visit other worlds, because I love to be enfolded in stories, because crafting is easier in game than in real life, because I like plants but don't want a farm... because I love to create content, because I love to collect achievements. It's hard to know where one motivation stops and the next begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.