p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
You're playing a favorite video game, and all is going well. You're happy; you're delighted; you're having fun. Then something happens, and your heart sinks. You say, "Aargh! Not this again. I hate it when this happens."

What's that something?

Bonus questions: How often does it happen? How long does it take for you to get over it? What can you do about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Losing a key unit during a war game. It happens way too often. I am currently playing Strategic Command WWII Global Conflict and I have lost way to many allied destroyers. I realize to begin with that the game goes against you because of the early successes of the Axis but I keep trying to change history and stop the early onslaught with no avail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
You're playing a favorite video game, and all is going well. You're happy; you're delighted; you're having fun. Then something happens, and your heart sinks. You say, "Aargh! Not this again. I hate it when this happens."

What's that something?

Bonus questions: How often does it happen? How long does it take for you to get over it? What can you do about it?

Having to play a timed section and having time run out just before you complete it, forcing you to replay it again for the nth time.

I usually give things anywhere from 3-9 tries depending how long the timed section is, and then I give up for the night. A few nights in a row of failing the same timed section is enough for me to give up on a game indefinitely (see: Valdis Story).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Dyke
England
London, England.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would say any game that has a weird dream/void section where it's basically a slog to get back to the main game.

Best examples I can think of are the Max Payne dream section with the constantly crying baby, and Dragon Age Origins and Dragin Age II where you go into the fade... Sheesh they are so tiresome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
It made me say ARRRRRRRR!
Because Pirate game.
Pirates say ARRRRRR!

Oh. Misread question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of things, but here's the top 3 (I think!).

1) finding out that the last checkpoint the game made was an unreasonable distance away from where I failed. Especially prevalent in recent years, because manual saves seem to be going away for many games.

2) difficulty spikes, especially in otherwise casual/easy games that suddenly throw a curve ball at you. Bonus "Aargh!" points if it happens in the final moments of the game.

3) plot points that make no sense, are not resolved or not acknowledged, or otherwise fail to add to the game or actively take away from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
The system freezes or crashes all together.

Aargh!!

It has happened a few times, especially with PS2 games, right when you were in a battle, or you were just about to save, but that ONE second too late. Or simply it sets you back a few steps due to how the game is built up for when you close the game.

I haven`t had too many Aargh moments with PC games, but I noticed some of the same glitches as mentioned above in one game.
Also fighting and thinking you are winning, then it all blows up in your face! surprise

It doesn`t happen often, I usually put it behind me right after, most of it I can`t do anything about. Maybe rethink my strategies some. And
SAVE THE GAME MORE OFTEN!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) As mentioned in the other thread, unpausable cut scenes. This doesn't happen as often in 2019, but back in the PS1, PS2 days, oh man. Some crazy cut scene would start, and my mom would want me to come take out the trash or do laundry or something, and I'd have to either make mom mad, or miss the scene. You could restore a save point (which I did sometimes), but more often than not you'd just miss it. Games didn't have ways to replay scenes back then either.

2.) Quick Time Events that change which button you press if you fail and need to try again. Friggin A! This just happened to me in Yakuza Kiwami 2 at the final boss fight. The fight literally ends with a half second quick time event, where the button changes every time. If you miss it, you lose the entire fight, even if you're at full health. I actually game over'd for the first time in the entire 35+ hours of game play at this fight, and it happened 7 times in a row. Oh, and you don't just get to try again. You have to do the entire boss fight each time before you can try the quick time event again. I was about ready to throw my controller through the window.

3.) Heroes who kill hundreds of two bit thugs on their way to the big terrible boss, then spare his or her life. This happens in a lot of games, but I think the Uncharted games really suffered from this. They peg Nate as if he's some great hero, but he murders thousands of random goons, most of whom have families at home, with no remorse. Then at the final boss, there's hesitation. The Yakuza games also do this. Kiryu is the ultimate nice guy who would never kill anybody. In the cut scenes, he's super careful and never uses a lethal weapon on bad guys. However, when the game lets you take back over, you can use handguns, swords, knives, and giant hammers on the baddies without holding back at all. There are even special attacks you can do with weapons that shows Kiryu stabbing people in the stomach, then knee kicking the knife further into their gut. It's just so out of place with the rest of the narrative the game is trying to get across.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't think of something that "pops up" and makes me say "argh, not again". There closest I get is GibbRS's number 3 – in some games it's like you come up to the final villain, but spare him his life anyway, and the rest of the game is trying to redeem this mistake.

Also, I hate timed battles and stuff, but I can't think of a game where they pop up that often, time and time again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Can't think of something that "pops up" and makes me say "argh, not again". There closest I get is GibbRS's number 3 – in some games it's like you come up to the final villain, but spare him his life anyway, and the rest of the game is trying to redeem this mistake.

On a related note, that's a very pulpy way of doing things - which I'm usually a fan of - but shows a very cynical outlook on people. Showing mercy is considered a mistake, tying all further grief that the villain inflicts directly to the protagonist.

When I think about it, I can't remember many scenarios in which letting a bad guy go had positive results down the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if I'm playing my favorite game, that pretty much means I'm doing a speedrun. Typically when things trip me up I can either just keep trudging on or reset; I usually just keep going because I hate (and usually don't have time for) resetting.

If it's Child of Light, I probably missed the skip after the spider boss again that saves 1 minute. I do this a lot, and my PB didn't get it, so that's not a big deal and I shrug it off. It could also be that Griffon fight (or possibly some other one) went horribly (which it does fairly often), but I get over it pretty quick. I don't get too worked up if a run goes poorly; I just tell the bosses to get all their trolling out now so I can get a better time next run laugh

If it's FFT, I probably forgot to do something that was in the notes since I am still just learning. I don't have any specific spot that gives me trouble yet. I guess getting bad compatibility/faith so that you have several enemies left is annoying, but not much you can do about it. There's also getting a random encounter you don't want, but that's not such a big deal until you are really starting to get good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excessive microtransactions, desperate attempts to get in on current trends, anything BioWare's done since Dragon Age: Inquisition. As far as stuff that actually happens while playing video games, Civ VI's AI diplomacy, while far more interesting than V, is exhausting as it's impossible to please everybody and you'll inevitably end up at war with somebody at the worst possible time. It's particularly mind boggling when they get upset at you for settling too close them when they drop a colony in the three remaining hexes that your capital hadn't yet taken over in the starting area you've been working for at least 200 turns. I also hate Badass Psychos in Borderlands 2, especially when you get into the higher difficulties as they absolutely wreck your ammo stores due to the most egregious case of bullet sponging enemy design I've ever encountered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
When there is a stealth section in a non-stealth game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:

What's that something?

Usually it's when some idiotic game takes a page from console gaming and doesn't allow me to save before a particularly annoying segment of gameplay. SMH

I usually will fight through it but if the game wasn't that great overall, sometimes I'll quit playing the game or even try to get my money back. Designers who are that inconsiderate and stupid about game design and their fan's free time, don't deserve my attention or money. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm--some of you people are pretty sanguine.

I play mostly 4X strategy games and the like, so I'm always building something that I expect to become unstoppable. It takes a long time, so my "Aargh!" moment is whenever an AI opponent pulls something that trips me up and foils my plans. It might be declaring war long before I'm ready for it, boxing me into a small patch of territory, leaping ahead in research, allying with my worst enemy, or whatever.

Just yesterday in Age of Wonders III, I felt I was sitting pretty, contentedly building and developing cities (and fighting monsters and finding treasure and leveling up heroes), when my rival suddenly declared war and marched two strong armies into my territory. "Aargh! All these hours of work are about to go down the drain. Why couldn't I have built more military units? I hate it when this happens, and it happens to me all the time; I never seem to learn."

In that case, it turned out surprisingly well. I attacked those two strong armies with a couple of my own. It was a very close match, and I took some heavy losses, but I won. That tipped the game in my favor, and many turns later my rival surrendered to me.

But nine times out of ten, a surprise attack like that spells my doom. Though I'd been having fun with the game and doing a lot, it turns out I was being lackadaisical in comparison to my AI opponents. I hate having to face up to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
When there is a stealth section in a non-stealth game.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Hmm--some of you people are pretty sanguine.

And I should probably learn to be more like that. All games have aspects I like and aspects I dislike, and of course I only play the ones where the good outweighs the bad. Yet my temperament makes me focus on the few bad things ("Aargh! This game is imperfect--or I am. I hate that.")

To more sanguine gamers, the bad parts are usually like water off a duck's back. Just get past it, move on, and keep having fun. Or if the game gets too bad, simply play a different game.

I admire those who can do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ooops
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Lord_Kristof wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

On a related note, that's a very pulpy way of doing things - which I'm usually a fan of - but shows a very cynical outlook on people. Showing mercy is considered a mistake, tying all further grief that the villain inflicts directly to the protagonist.

When I think about it, I can't remember many scenarios in which letting a bad guy go had positive results down the line.

There's a certain Wadjet Eye game that comes to mind (spoiler box because it directly affects the ending.)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Shivah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leemundo wrote:
I would say any game that has a weird dream/void section where it's basically a slog to get back to the main game.

Best examples I can think of are the Max Payne dream section with the constantly crying baby...

Huh, I thought those were the best part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"The Ravens of VGG - 2016-2019"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any situation in which the game suddenly introduces a new in-game rule or gameplay style that stands completely apart from the rest of the game.

For example, quick time reactions when there has been non previously, a sudden stealth segment when the game doesn't otherwise have one, or when you are suddenly expected to carry out a particular task in a game which you have not been able to do previously due to the defined limitations of the game's world.

The sudden introduction of this type of thing usually results in an initial mess up or frustrated player death for me as it takes one go to realise what the game now expects me to do before I can get it right!

This is one of my major gripes with Red Dead Redemption II, which constantly 'moves the goal posts' during play, suddenly expecting you to know you can do something which has previously not been possible to do within the parameters of the game's world and physics laws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Boris wrote:
Any situation in which the game suddenly introduces a new in-game rule or gameplay style that stands completely apart from the rest of the game.

For example, quick time reactions when there has been non previously, a sudden stealth segment when the game doesn't otherwise have one, or when you are suddenly expected to carry out a particular task in a game which you have not been able to do previously due to the defined limitations of the game's world.

The sudden introduction of this type of thing usually results in an initial mess up or frustrated player death for me as it takes one go to realise what the game now expects me to do before I can get it right!

This is one of my major gripes with Red Dead Redemption II, which constantly 'moves the goal posts' during play, suddenly expecting you to know you can do something which has previously not been possible to do within the parameters of the game's world and physics laws.

Thanks for that info on RDR2 - that sounds annoying. Now I feel better about skipping it. Though my initial reasoning was simply that RDR2 looked pretty boring. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost everything in Final Fantasy XV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A difficult unskipable timed event in a game otherwise free of time constraints.
my most recent ones were:
saints row gat outta hell - there was only one timed race that was required and it was hard. And not a fun hard it was just so easy to make one mistake and not recover. In a game that gives your three levels of "passing" there seemed no chance of getting bronze or silver and I failed about 20 times then got gold.
Shadow of mordor - in the DLC there is a main mission where you have only 4 minutes to get a bunch of targets killed or something and I gave up and have yet to go back to it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Please remove your cursor from my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I say "Aargh," and some more colorful words quite frequently when playing games. Many different situations bring it out of me. Most of them are the result of me screwing up. But as far as something out of my control, timed missions in particular kill me. I'm probably the exact opposite of a speedrunner. I play games slowly. Sometimes painfully so for anyone watching. Any time I see that timer pop up on screen, I roll my eyes and immediately start complaining aloud, often to no one but myself.

Another one is when the game doesn't have frequent enough save points/checkpoints and I get stuck in an area that forces me to repeat a section all over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Timed missions in particular kill me. I'm probably the exact opposite of a speedrunner. I play games slowly. Sometimes painfully so for anyone watching. Any time I see that timer pop up on screen, I roll my eyes and immediately start complaining aloud, often to no one but myself.

Because of the kind of games I play, I've almost never run into that. (The only case I can remember--if I'm remembering right--was in The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. But that was just a change-of-pace game for me, and it was a long time ago.)

I usually avoid real-time games altogether, even if there's a pause button. The last thing I want is to be under any immediate time pressure. (Yet, ironically, I'm not a slow or methodical player; I move through games at a pretty fast clip even when there's no time pressure.)

However, I don't mind games with a turn limit--for example, Panzer General and the whole 5-Star series, as well as Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy. Each mission has to be completed within a certain number of turns, or you lose. To me, that's standard fare for wargames; I have no problem with it. Others apparently do, from some reviews I've read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.