Operation Wolf
Flight Commander 2
Bubsy 3D: Furbitten Planet
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Please remove your cursor from my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
What movie or book would you like to see turned into a video game? And what type of game would it be?

Obviously games based on movies don't always have the best reputation, but for the sake of the question, let's assume it would be a good game. You can also suggest games based on a TV series, if you are so inclined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An RPG based on Stephen Erikson's 'Malazan Tales of the Fallen' series. It would have to be a big game though as the series has 10 books and most of them are over 1,000 pages!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
This question keeps popping up, but I keep having different answers to it, so it's all good laugh

Since I'm a fan of anything detective/noir and cyberpunk themed, I would not say no to a new take on Blade Runner. It seems like a concept that could've been much improved with modern tech.

Book-wise, in a similar fashion, I'd love to see an adaptation of Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs books. Not necessarily a 1:1 adaptation of the plot of either of three books, but a new story within the same universe would be great.

There's this Polish book series "Pan Lodowego Ogrodu" which mixes SF with fantasy in cool ways, and would be great as a semi-openworld RPG - even as a close adaptation of the story from the books, since it's virtually unknown outside of Poland.

Pacific Rim deserves a good video game.

And obviously a proper action game set in the Marvel universe, could be really good, but so far the only half-decent take on those outside of LEGO games was Deadpool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been really enjoying The Expanse series of books... so something set in that universe could be cool.. or Something based on Mortal Engines.

As for movies... I agree with Kristof... something from the Marvel Universe, aside from Lego games!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love see a game based in Stephen King's Dark Tower series, preferably the version of the world before it all fell apart as that's where the series' most compelling stories came from. I'd also love to see a game based on Charles Stross's Laundry File series, though I know that won't happen. He allowed an RPG to be made using the series but he explicitly states on his website that he refuses to license out any of his stories for movies, TV, video games, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A large, detailed RPG type game set in Terry Pratchett's Discworld could be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe one of the books from this list or one of the movies from this list.

It might be enough to make video gamers stop looking for games to be like books and movies. Then we could focus on the mysterious thing called "game play."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Brothers in Arms by Kareem Abdul Jabbar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
Oh, you'd like me to connect the dots for you, lead you from A to B to C, so that your puny mind could comprehend. How boring.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
I've been really enjoying The Expanse series of books... so something set in that universe could be cool..

+1 for The Expanse... as a game like Privateer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
A large, detailed RPG type game set in Terry Pratchett's Discworld could be fun.

Oh, that would be so wonderfully dangerous, I dont think I’d ever bother with real life again!

A little odd but I’d really quite enjoy one based on Castaways of the Flying Dutchman, I just think there’s so much scope for different puzzles and investigations, and I loved the books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Primer (2004)

If anyone manages to translate that into a game I have to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Book: Finn Family Moomintroll (the whole series).
Movie: The Dark Crystal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S.
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:
An RPG based on Stephen Erikson's 'Malazan Tales of the Fallen' series. It would have to be a big game though as the series has 10 books and most of them are over 1,000 pages!

This would have been my response as well. Anything to mention this series!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:

There was already an adventure game made for Dark Crystal, my good Lurkfish, if I'm not mistaken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy answer for me due to the current author that I love (Larry Correia), these are all from his stuff:

The Monster Hunter International series would be fantastic - it could be a shooter, a third-person action game, a Turn-based Strategy (TBS) title, or even a RPG series.

The Grimnoir Series he does would be a great Superhero Tactical TBS game or a great RPG.

Finally, the Son of the Black Sword series would make for an excellent Fantasy-based RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to play an RTS based on Raymond Carver's What We Talk About When We Talk About Love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Please remove your cursor from my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Easy answer for me due to the current author that I love (Larry Correia), these are all from his stuff:

The Monster Hunter International series would be fantastic - it could be a shooter, a third-person action game, a Turn-based Strategy (TBS) title, or even a RPG series.

The Grimnoir Series he does would be a great Superhero Tactical TBS game or a great RPG.

Finally, the Son of the Black Sword series would make for an excellent Fantasy-based RPG.

Dude, agreed entirely on Grimnoir and Son of the Black Sword. Those would have been my answers as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd pay hard cash to play a Breath of the Wild-typed game based on the Lone Wolf series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Maybe one of the books from this list or one of the movies from this list.

It might be enough to make video gamers stop looking for games to be like books and movies. Then we could focus on the mysterious thing called "game play."

I think it's interesting that several of the worst books were developed into movies that aren't on the list of worst movies.

Also, if we have to pick from that list, then I want a game based upon Worlds of Power: Metal Gear. The name of the game could just be Metal Gear. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd want to play a well-done video game based on Time Bandits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
I'd pay hard cash to play a Breath of the Wild-typed game based on the Lone Wolf series.
Oh, yeah, a game set in Magnamund could be awesome. Joe Dever's Lone Wolf is OK, but it tries a bit too hard to mimic a gamebook, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've suggested before:The Boxcar Children, Enid Blyton books, and The Mole. I was hoping that around launch of the Nintendo Switch there was going to be a game based on the 2017 version on Beauty and the Beast, but sadly that didn't happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Lurkfish wrote:

There was already an adventure game made for Dark Crystal, my good Lurkfish, if I'm not mistaken.

Yah, an old Seirra game iirc from the 80s. I want something more Zelda or Skyrimmy for a modern Dark Crystal game.

Suspect someone somewhere probably made a Moomin game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Lone Jack
Missouri
flag msg tools
evil appears as good in the minds of those whom gods lead to destruction
badge
The Battle on the Ice, ending in a major defeat in the Northern Crusades.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Running Man, the book not the movie, I'd prefer if there was some references to the Long Walk by King in the background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
Oh, yeah, a game set in Magnamund could be awesome. Joe Dever's Lone Wolf is OK, but it tries a bit too hard to mimic a gamebook, I think.

My thought is that it doesn't. Instead, it ultra-focused on some sort of tactical combat, which I found both frustrating and boring. I never finished the game. Combat in Lone Wolf should be a simple thing, and the focus should never be on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.