Lure of the Temptress
Dragonsphere
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: Imperial Pursuit
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: B-Wing
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Tropico Reloaded
Hillsfar
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (1992)
Baroque
Portal 2
007: Nightfire
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
42 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Video Game» Forums » VGG Related » VGG News

Subject: VGGeek of the Week #212 - Gabe Hawkins (ghostpants) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mbmb
With great joy I now introduce a worthy geek as the next VGG Geek of the Week, Gabe Hawkins (user ghostpants)!

Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I first noticed him as an active contributor to both questions and answers in the VGG Question of the Day forums. He comes across as friendly, helpful, and interesting, and I'm guessing he would be fun to game with, also.

On his user profile Gabe has some great information about his gaming, his avatar, his geekbadge, and his gaming experiences, including this fine link: My Gaming History 1992 - 2019

Let's hear some more about him in his own words...

ghostpants wrote:
Intro
Hello fellow Geeks! Some of you may know me, but if you don’t, my name is Gabe, and I’ve been a VGG user since 2016. I initially discovered the site through BGG, but I have always been primarily a video gamer. I started gaming in the early to mid 90s when I was about 4 years old. It started with arcade cabinets at our local skating rink and movie theater. Not long after that, my uncle — seemingly at random, if memory serves — gave me a Super Nintendo with Super Mario AllStars and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. That started my journey with console gaming, and the rest is history.

I love all types of games, but I primarily gravitate towards RPGs, adventure games, and sports games. Anything with a great story, I tend to get hooked on. My favorite console of all time is the original PlayStation. These days, I primarily game on the PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC with some occasional Vita and 3DS games thrown in. I actually created a GeekList regarding my history with gaming if you’re interested in checking that out. But feel free to ask anything you’d like to know here!

As far as my non-gaming life goes, I live in rural Virginia with my lovely girlfriend and our cat, Ollie. I work as a Test Engineer/Consultant in the IT industry, but my real passion is music. In addition to writing and recording my own music, I also do freelance audio production for fellow independent artists.

That’s the brief overview about me, but please feel free to ask any questions you’d like!

Awesome! I'm listening to some of your sound mixing results at http://toastandbananas.com as I format this page.

Here are Gabe's answers to the standard Geek of the Week questions...

ghostpants wrote:
What's the worst game you ever played (and why)?
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim at launch. I've grown to really love the game now, but it took years. I bought the PlayStation 3 version, which turned out to be a huge mistake. I was forced to start the game over on four separate occasions due to corrupt saves and/or game breaking glitch. On the last attempt, I hit a glitch that made the game freeze entirely if you so much as touched water. I gave up on it for years, and it wasn't until the enhanced edition game out for PS4 that I gave it another chance. Outside of that, however, this question is actually a pretty difficult one for me to answer. My tolerance for "bad" games seems to be higher than others. I can typically squeeze some fun out of an otherwise bad game. Many of the games from my childhood weren't very good, but I enjoyed them anyway and still have fond memories from them. Resident Evil: Survivor and The Dukes of Hazzard: Racing for Home come to mind. But I beat both of those multiple times over and loved it.

How long was your longest VG-playing-session ever (and what game(s))?
I think the longest I've ever played is somewhere around 9 hours or so. I know I played Final Fantasy VIII at least that long one day over summer break as a kid. I also had a marathon session of Call of Duty: Black Ops with my friends shortly after launch. I also played the Halo 3 campaign for about that long as well for some reason. I'm not even that big of a Halo fan, but I stayed up until 6am playing it.

What is your current platform of choice?
My PlayStation 4 takes up the majority of my gaming time these days. I actually just recently upgrade to the PS4 Pro thanks to the input from some fellow VGGers. But I enjoy playing my Nintendo Switch and gaming on my PC just as much.

What are you playing now, and what will you be playing next?
I'm currently working my way through Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5, which has been an amazing ride so far. I'm not entirely sure what game I'll start next, but probably something shorter from my hardcore list. Perhaps A Way Out since I can co-op it with my girlfriend.

Do you use cheat codes?
Almost never. Most of the games I play aren't difficult enough for me to need to cheat and/or don't have cheat codes that make the game more fun. However, when I want to goof around in a game like GTA V, I will absolutely use cheat codes. If they can make the game fun or humorous, I'm all for it. I remember using cheat codes in the Tony Hawk games a lot when I was younger as well.

What is your favorite contribution (of yours or another user) to VGG?
The most notable thing I have contributed is probably my gaming history GeekList, but since I already mentioned that, this GeekList was actually the inspiration for it. Beyond that, I love being part of the VGG QOTD!

Here are Gabe's Top 5 Games of All Time, and everyone gets to guess which game he would keep if it were the only game he could have the rest of his life.

ghostpants wrote:

Poll: VGG GotW #212 Game Poll
If Gabe could only keep one game for the rest of his life, which would it be?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Metal Gear Solid
7.1% 1
Final Fantasy VIII
28.6% 4
Fallout 3
42.9% 6
Pokémon Silver
21.4% 3
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
0.0% 0
Voters 14
This poll is now closed.   14 answers
Poll created by wildthayne
Closes: Sun Apr 7, 2019 6:00 am

Congratulations, Gabe! Have fun.

Everyone, feel free to inquire some more about Gabe and his gaming experiences.

For more information please visit the following:
https://videogamegeek.com/wiki/page/VGGeek_of_the_Week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mbmb
And a few fresh questions to get things going:

What instruments do you play?

What music have you made or envisioned for video games?

What have you had in the way of gaming rivalries over the years? (An annoying sibling; a friend who always outscores you; etc.)

What is a meaningful memory regarding your girlfriend and gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About time! Congo-rats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Gabe!
Hope you have a wizard of a week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Gabe!

How did you come up with your username?

On a PC, are you more of a controllers user or mouse and keyboard?

Enjoy your time as GotW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Bob! I'm honored!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wildthayne wrote:
What instruments do you play?

My primary instrument is guitar (and bass guitar to go along with that, I suppose), but over the years, I've learned enough piano to get by when needed, a little mandolin, and the harmonica. I'm not particularly good at any one of these though,

wildthayne wrote:
What music have you made or envisioned for video games?

I've never made music for a video game, but I do think that would be a lot of fun. I did score a short film by a friend of mine, which was a unique experience and challenge. I'd love to see if I could pull it off for a game. I've always respected games that have music that makes the world feel more alive. I'm playing through Persona 5 at the moment, and it's the perfect example. It has a lot of modern, pop music in it along with more traditional fantasy RPG arrangements. I find that combination to be weirdly appropriate and also fairly ambitious. Anything created with a lot of care and consideration for the game's universe will get high praise from me.

wildthayne wrote:
What have you had in the way of gaming rivalries over the years? (An annoying sibling; a friend who always outscores you; etc.)

I was an only child, but growing up, my cousins were always around, and they felt like my younger brother and sister. So we developed quite the gaming rivalry as a result. Beyond that, I have a friend that will dive into games -- or anything he's into for that matter -- head first and learn every little detail about it. He spends a lot of time thinking about different, creative ways to win the game. As a result, he typically dominates. I don't think I've ever beaten him in anything outside of a sports game.

wildthayne wrote:
What is a meaningful memory regarding your girlfriend and gaming?

I have several, so I will share a few. Early on when we were first dating, we went out and bought an extra PS4 controller so we could co-op Diablo III: Reaper of Souls. It was a great experience together, but what made it even more memorable was her constantly claiming that she was kicking my ass at the game, despite it being co-op. We still talk about that occasionally.

Another memory is of me watching her play Skyrim. She's a huge fan of that game, and it was fun to see her get so immersed in that world. When I started to play, she knew all of the cool places and hidden areas to go, so for once, she was guiding me through the game instead of the other way around.

More recently, we've taken turns playing Black Ops 4. She's incredibly competitive, and doesn't mind some light hearted trash talk, so we've had a blast. I have more fun just watching her celebrate when she gets a kill and complain when she dies. She's actually really improving at the game as well, so that's fun to see. She's actually playing it right now. I just heard her say "oh my god there are lemurs on this map."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
Congrats Gabe!

How did you come up with your username?

On a PC, are you more of a controllers user or mouse and keyboard?

Enjoy your time as GotW!

Thanks, Jeff!

I wish there was a better story about my username, but I had been using the same username that I created when I was 11 years old up until I joined VGG. I was trying out a game (I can't remember what it was), and it would generate random names for your character. I was cycling through the random names and GhostLeggings and SirFancyPants came up. I was struck by the pant related theme and just went with "ghostpants," as I wasn't creative enough to come up with anything else. But I like it well enough. It's odd and a bit humorous (to me).

As to your controller vs. mouse/keyboard question, I would say it depends on what kind of game I'm playing. I've always used mouse and keyboard for shooters and strategy games. I feel like it offers me a better experience. But for a lot of indie games or walking simulators or racing games, I use an Xbox 360 controller, mostly so I can lean back and relax while I'm playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Congrats Gabe! Have a fun and fruitful week of gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations.

ghostpants wrote:
I wish there was a better story about my username, but I had been using the same username that I created when I was 11 years old up until I joined VGG.

Well, your avatar fits with the username. That Fallout fellow's pants (and entire lower body) are invisible--like a ghost.

PS Thanks for all the QotDs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
Congrats Gabe! Have a fun and fruitful week of gaming!

Thanks, Geoffrey!

Patrick Carroll wrote:
Congratulations.

Well, your avatar fits with the username. That Fallout fellow's pants (and entire lower body) are invisible--like a ghost.

PS Thanks for all the QotDs.

Thank you, Patrick! And good point, haha. Guess it makes more sense than I thought.

And no problem! Thanks for your contributions as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmb
Congratulations, Gabe! Hope you have a great week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Very much deserved! XD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hodkinson
Canada
Owen Sound
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
兵者,詭道也。
badge
mb

Good going, Gabe. Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
designer
Check my profile to learn more about these...
badge
I'm thinking of something intelligent to say... this may take a while!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, Gabe! Enjoy your title!

What was the first ever video game you played at home (forget video arcades), in your own first video-game-playing-thingie? And what video-game-playing-thingie was it?

coollaughmeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfrsantos wrote:
Well done, Gabe! Enjoy your title!

What was the first ever video game you played at home (forget video arcades), in your own first video-game-playing-thingie? And what video-game-playing-thingie was it?

coollaughmeeple

Thank you all!

The first video game I ever played at home on my own console was the original Super Mario Bros. on my SNES. I had the Super Mario All Stars pack. I remember beating the first level, and I guess I didn't quite understand the concept of different levels because I remember being really confused as to why the whole atmosphere and music changed so drastically
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb
Congratz, finally about time! Missing you at the new D&D campaign...

Here is my question: To you, what is the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ooozan wrote:

Here is my question: To you, what is the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything?

Thank you! I need to get back into PbF. I fell off of it last summer after I got injured in an accident and took a hiatus from the Geek.

As to your question, I could appropriately answer with "42" given your microbadge and my own love of Hitchhiker's Guide, but I'll go with a more serious answer.

I like to think that the whole purpose of life and everything is to enjoy it as much as possible, experience love, do at least one positive thing every day, and hopefully leave it all in a little bit better shape than it was we we got here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
designer
Check my profile to learn more about these...
badge
I'm thinking of something intelligent to say... this may take a while!
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
ooozan wrote:

Thank you! I need to get back into PbF. I fell off of it last summer after I got injured in an accident and took a hiatus from the Geek.

As to your question, I could appropriately answer with "42" given your microbadge and my own love of Hitchhiker's Guide, but I'll go with a more serious answer.

I like to think that the whole purpose of life and everything is to enjoy it as much as possible, experience love, do at least one positive thing every day, and hopefully leave it all in a little bit better shape than it was we we got here.

That's pretty much what you get from this, too:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of late to the party, but congrats Gabe! I've enjoyed reading your posts around the forum over the past while. Well earned!

Random question!

What is a game that you wish had a better storyline? Perhaps you liked the setting, or characters, but the story fell flat with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Gabe, are there any new video game microbadge designs you want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Congrats

Thanks, Jan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
Kind of late to the party, but congrats Gabe! I've enjoyed reading your posts around the forum over the past while. Well earned!

Random question!

What is a game that you wish had a better storyline? Perhaps you liked the setting, or characters, but the story fell flat with you.

Thank you, Ryan! Likewise!

That's a great question. The one that immediately comes to mind is Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, a game that I haven't played very much of despite the series being one of my all-time favorites. By many standards, the story isn't notably bad, I suppose. It's just that, for me, the series set the bar incredibly high for its storytelling -- some might argue to a fault -- in previous games. And while I really love the concept and characters, the story just doesn't live up to that standard.

Maybe the story gets better further into the game. I've been putting off playing it despite owning it on launch day. Something about it just feels off, and I think the story is the primary reason. It just doesn't feel like a Metal Gear game in some ways. That said, it is on my hardcore list this year, so I'm planning to bite the bullet and finish it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.