Video Game» Forums » VGG Related » VGG News

Subject: VGGeek of the Week #212 - Gabe Hawkins (ghostpants) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
wildthayne wrote:
Gabe, are there any new video game microbadge designs you want?

Hmm, I had been thinking about that lately. I think it would be cool to have microbadges for some of the other Final Fantasy VIII characters. I think we only have Squall at the moment. Also some of the Persona 5 characters would be cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:

That's a great question. The one that immediately comes to mind is Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, a game that I haven't played very much of despite the series being one of my all-time favorites. By many standards, the story isn't notably bad, I suppose. It's just that, for me, the series set the bar incredibly high for its storytelling -- some might argue to a fault -- in previous games. And while I really love the concept and characters, the story just doesn't live up to that standard.

Maybe the story gets better further into the game. I've been putting off playing it despite owning it on launch day. Something about it just feels off, and I think the story is the primary reason. It just doesn't feel like a Metal Gear game in some ways. That said, it is on my hardcore list this year, so I'm planning to bite the bullet and finish it!

That's a good one. I got MGSV PP on the PS4 and played it a decent amount. I eventually got kind of tired of balloon lifting guys out of random bases and gave up on it. When it was included in Humble Monthly a few months ago, I decided to try it again to see how it looked on my gaming PC. I forgot how much of a drudge the first couple hours of the game are. Even though I had forgotten most of it, it was painful to go through the hospital scene again.

I need to go back and play the earlier games. I played MGS2 a lot, but I can't remember ever playing 3 or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
I need to go back and play the earlier games. I played MGS2 a lot, but I can't remember ever playing 3 or 4.

Definitely check out 3 and 4. MGS 2 ends on that crazy cliffhanger, so I remember being pumped for the sequel. But 3 wound up being a prequel. I was hugely disappointed at the time. Once I played the game, I really appreciated it, but still had a sour taste in my mouth. But as I was playing 4, I saw all of the things that MGS3 established to make the story that much more incredible. I went back and played it again with a whole new perspective. Now I think 3 might be my favorite in the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
wildthayne wrote:

Hmm, I had been thinking about that lately. I think it would be cool to have microbadges for some of the other Final Fantasy VIII characters. I think we only have Squall at the moment. Also some of the Persona 5 characters would be cool!

I'll take a stab at those, but unfortunately it won't be this week. I had too many work deadlines sneak up on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wildthayne wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
wildthayne wrote:

I'll take a stab at those, but unfortunately it won't be this week. I had too many work deadlines sneak up on me.

No worries! No rush at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Gabe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sudo Dudaković
Bosnia and Herzegovina
flag msg tools
Looking of wrong spot. Blink, blink.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray, Gabe!

What is being the best part of your Week?

What are you playing now?

What is favourite music?

What is favourite food?

What is favourite activity outdoors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sudo Nimh wrote:
Hooray, Gabe!

Thanks, Sudo!

Sudo Nimh wrote:
What is being the best part of your Week?

The best part of my week (so far) was having dinner with a friend of mine yesterday. It was great to catch up!

Sudo Nimh wrote:
What are you playing now?

I just finished Persona 5, so I've started God of War (2018) for a nice change of pace. So far, I'm enjoying it!

Sudo Nimh wrote:
What is favourite music?

I love many different kinds of music, but I feel at home in alternative rock and pop punk from the late 90s and early 2000s. Some indie rock these days as well. But I'll give anything a listen!

Sudo Nimh wrote:
What is favourite food?

This is tough. I love a nice steak, but I also love fried rice (of all things) and tacos!

Sudo Nimh wrote:
What is favourite activity outdoors?

Probably hiking or fishing. If I can do both at the same time, that's usually a pretty good day!

Thanks for your questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:
Congrats Gabe!

Thank you, Chris!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh almost missed this..

Congrats Gabe!

d10-1 What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2 Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3 Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4 Having fun?
d10-5 What would have been your name if it wasn't the name you have?
d10-6 What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8 What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?
d10-1d10-2 What is your favourite RPG race/class?
d10-1d10-3 If you could go back in time - where and when would you go?
d10-1d10-4 Could you enlighten us about your avatar? (What, why)
d10-1d10-5 Where does your username come from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Oh almost missed this..

Congrats Gabe!

Thank you!

Narl wrote:
d10-1 What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?

I definitely prefer blue or green if one is available!

Narl wrote:
d10-2 Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?

As a kid, I would have said Summer or Winter. Summer because of summer vacation and winter because of the holidays and snow. As an adult, though, I definitely find myself preferring the transitional seasons of Spring and Autumn.

Narl wrote:
d10-3 Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?

Yes! I primarily play guitar/bass guitar, but I also play a little piano, mandolin, and harmonica.

Narl wrote:
d10-4 Having fun?

I'm almost always having fun! I try not to take life too seriously.

Narl wrote:
d10-5 What would have been your name if it wasn't the name you have?

My mom always told me the other name they considered was Justin, which is funny because my best friend (who is like a brother to me) is named Justin. If I could have chosen a different name for myself, I'm not entirely sure. I've always liked the name Oliver though, so maybe that!

Narl wrote:
d10-6 What is your favourite snack?

I love snacks, so it's hard to pick a favorite. Lately, I've been eating strawberries with nutella almost every day, so I'd say that's my favorite at the moment

Narl wrote:
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?

Saturday! Honorable mention goes to Friday evening/night.

Narl wrote:
d10-8 What is your favourite time of day?

I'm a bit of a night owl, but I also like the early morning as well.

Narl wrote:
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?

I'd like to think Picard, but more likely, I'd be a Redshirt

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?

I'm fortunate to have a life that I enjoy and wonderful friends and family. I'm excited to get up in the morning and make music, play video games, and spend time with those I care about.

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?

I always wanted to be a rock star growing up, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't still think about that. But these days, my dream is just making a living in the music industry, most likely as a mix engineer.

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-2 What is your favourite RPG race/class?

I tend to go for an elf of some sort or a human for the race. Class is either a mage or a rogue.

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-3 If you could go back in time - where and when would you go?

That's tough. Having the power to go anywhere in time would be amazing, as there are so many things before my lifetime that I think would be incredible to experience or observe. But if I am limited to my own lifetime, I would go back to the early-mid 90s and relive parts of my childhood, hopefully with the knowledge and appreciation that I have for it as an adult.

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-4 Could you enlighten us about your avatar? (What, why)

It's Vault Boy from the Fallout series. Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games, but beyond that, I really love the aesthetics of the character. I think it's a great design that captures the retro-futurism of the series.

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-5 Where does your username come from?

I had been using the same username that I created when I was 11 years old up until I joined VGG. I was trying out a game (I can't remember what it was), and it would generate random names for your character. I was cycling through the random names and GhostLeggings and SirFancyPants came up. I was struck by the pant related theme and just went with "ghostpants," as I wasn't creative enough to come up with anything else. But I like it well enough. It's odd and a bit humorous (to me).

Thanks for all your questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mbmbmb
Gabe, since you play instruments and produce/mix music...

Most proud music moment(s)?

Most fun music memory(ies)?

Style(s) that you play?

Favorite band(s)?

Favorite song(s)?

Favorite composer(s)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the questions!

wildthayne wrote:
Most proud music moment(s)?

That's tough. I have several moments that stick out. I'd be remiss not to count learning how to play guitar since I taught myself as a kid. That was a dream I had, and it kickstarted any musical endeavors I've taken since. Playing my first live show with my best friend definitely stands out as a great moment. Getting my first paid mixing gig as well. It's hard to pick just one. I'm hoping I continue to have little moments like that for the rest of my life.

wildthayne wrote:
Most fun music memory(ies)?

After I picked up guitar and learned the very basics, I started teaching my best friend how to play. We often reminisce about our ignorance of certain things. The one that sticks out is a moment after we finished learning all of the basic major chords. We were like "oh yeah, this is awesome. But how does Metallica get this stuff to sound so heavy?" For those that don't play guitar, the types of chords used in thrash metal music are completely different than the ones we had learned.

wildthayne wrote:
Style(s) that you play?

I play everything from rock and blues to singer-songwriter and (some) country. By far, alternative/indie/punk rock is where I feel at home though.

wildthayne wrote:
Favorite band(s)?

This is a really long list, as so many bands have impacted my life. My first favorite band was probably Ratt, believe it or not. My mom had "Invasion of Your Privacy" on cassette. I would constantly ask her to play it so I could pretend to play guitar on some fisher price guitar I had. When I started to develop my tastes as a teenager, blink-182 became my favorite band. Metallica was another band that I loved growing up, especially when learning to play guitar. Nowadays, Angels & Airwaves is probably the favorite, but I love and respect a ton of other bands as well.

wildthayne wrote:
Favorite song(s)?

I can't say I have a favorite song, but at any given time there's usually one song that I'm enjoying more than others. At the moment it's "Lucky" by a band called Simple Creatures.

wildthayne wrote:
Favorite composer(s)?

Tchaikovsky was the first classical composer whose music I had a notable response to emotionally. He was my gateway into appreciating more classical music. As I grew to understand it better, I started to appreciate Chopin quite a bit as well. And Beethoven may have been the greatest musician in human history. That said, I should really spend more time listening to other classical composers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to you, Gabe!

thumbsup

I can't think of any good gaming questions, so I'll ask this instead:

If you were in Japan and you could go to just one of these, which would it be?

A) A Cat Cafe

B) An Owl Cafe

C) A "Maid" Cafe

D) A Monkey Cafe

E) None of the above
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably C, just cause, you know, it's the most Japanese thing out of the choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
designer
Check my profile to learn more about these...
badge
I'm thinking of something intelligent to say... this may take a while!
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Probably C, just cause, you know, it's the most Japanese thing out of the choices.

Also, I think you'd have the best chance of having a good cup of coffee. Have you ever seen a cat making an expresso?!...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one game I would keep for the rest of my life is Final Fantasy VIII, which more people voted for than I expected!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.