Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I think a more apt comparison would be the energy footprint of Bitcoin.
I'm not sure that is a good comparison, since bitcoin transactions intentionally take more and more processing power the more it is used. I don't think anything uses power the way bitcoin does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrashCat wrote:
Streamable save states sounds pretty amazing, though I am naturally skeptical how many games they will get to allow it. Like I'm sure the technology permits it no matter what since virtualization could do that, but the publishers still have to be on board.

I don't understand why you think even a single company would refuse to allow this. It's instant monetization of immediate gratification, the end game dream of every single company, to go from initial desire to purchase in a few seconds like this promises.

I'm picturing the board room - "You mean that a person could watch a youtube personality or a commercial showing our game, think 'hey that's cool' and click a button and buy our product a few seconds later? No sirree, we can't have that, tell Google no. Make 'em go to Amazon and order it and get a parcel a week later like I did when I was a kid."

Imagine this with physical products, coke or pepsi shows a commercial or you watch a movie where someone drinks it, and you could click a button and buy a coke and it appears in your hand a few seconds later?

Yeah, no company on earth would ever turn that down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
CrashCat wrote:
Streamable save states sounds pretty amazing, though I am naturally skeptical how many games they will get to allow it. Like I'm sure the technology permits it no matter what since virtualization could do that, but the publishers still have to be on board.

I don't understand why you think even a single company would refuse to allow this. It's instant monetization of immediate gratification, the end game dream of every single company, to go from initial desire to purchase in a few seconds like this promises.

I'm picturing the board room - "You mean that a person could watch a youtube personality or a commercial showing our game, think 'hey that's cool' and click a button and buy our product a few seconds later? No sirree, we can't have that, tell Google no. Make 'em go to Amazon and order it and get a parcel a week later like I did when I was a kid."

Imagine this with physical products, coke or pepsi shows a commercial or you watch a movie where someone drinks it, and you could click a button and buy a coke and it appears in your hand a few seconds later?

You don't need streamable save states to accomplish that, just an "I want to play this game too" button. I would bet that the streamable save states would have a higher click-through rate, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Blackford
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think that because companies have made very weird, inconsistent choices about what can be shared from their games. Other than that I totally agree with you.

Sometimes it's due to weird licensing issues but there can be other odd situations too. I just can't count it out after my experiences with all the quirks of PS4 sharing/broadcasting/shareplay stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
CrashCat wrote:

Companies make bizarro decisions every day. Sega didn't want anybody sharing anything about Persona 5 so they locked the entire game down. Usually companies only do that for the final boss fight and ending scene.

Nintendo has been randomly attacking youtube channels for promoting their games for them.

To regular gaming folks like you and I, it seems weird that a big gaming corporation would be anti-gamer, but it happens all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These "weird decisions" you're talking about are different though. Those are just a company who doesn't believe that youtube exposure is good for sales, etc.

The example my original post replied to is different. In that case, the publisher had already bought in to the system, they do believe in it. They'd agreed to put their game on Stadia, which means acquiring the dev kit and making the special version of the game for Google. And then after going through that, it was suggested that they might then turn off a mechanism that allowed that game generate profit.

That's my point. Sure, a bunch of companies won't buy in and won't put their games on the system. But those that do are going to take advantage of every possible monetization route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
CrashCat wrote:

Companies make bizarro decisions every day. Sega didn't want anybody sharing anything about Persona 5 so they locked the entire game down. Usually companies only do that for the final boss fight and ending scene.

Nintendo has been randomly attacking youtube channels for promoting their games for them.

To regular gaming folks like you and I, it seems weird that a big gaming corporation would be anti-gamer, but it happens all the time.

One suspicion that the Wii U lost "momentum" was Nintendo going after YouTube videos about them. They needed that push to get them past that "peak", to hit some level that would really get the word out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
tdphillips wrote:
We did some napkin math at work yesterday. That Doom Eternal 4k 60fps thing they had on the floor? Not gonna happen any time soon unless you're next to the data center or stole a Stadia appliance for your house. Even with the most insane (and insanely fast) compression, their "you need a 30Mbps connection for 4k streaming" is... No. Just no.

It did sound unrealistic but I am still waiting for it nonetheless. Here I get around a minimum of 200-250 Mbps on a wifi connection so fingers crossed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

One suspicion that the Wii U lost "momentum" was Nintendo going after YouTube videos about them. They needed that push to get them past that "peak", to hit some level that would really get the word out.

I'm all for leaving content creators alone, but I think this theory dramatically overstates the promotional effect they have, and dramatically understates the Wii U's other problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stadia Founder's Edition is now available for pre-order on the Google Store.

$129 gets you an exclusively colored Stadia controller (looks to be $69 MSRP), a Chromecast Ultra ($59 value), a three-month Stadia Pro subscription ($30 value), an additional three-month buddy pass ($30 value), a free copy of Destiny 2: The Collection ($60 value, I think?), a Founder's badge, and a Founder's Stadia Name.

On the latter, the fine print says "Founder's Edition purchasers will have the option to choose a Stadia Name identifying themselves in Stadia with no numerical identifier auto-appended" which seems to imply that if you don't pre-order you'll be stuck with the numerical identifier in your username.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Destiny 2 is just the first free game that comes with the Stadia Pro subscription, not something special to the Founder's Edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a decent article explaining all the new news about Stadia from today.

https://kotaku.com/everything-we-learned-today-about-google-...

It sounds like a person will need the founders pack to be able to play Stadia this year. Buying the $10/mo subscription by itself, or the standard edition, won't be available until 2020.

I'm curious what games will be available to play in the $10/mo subscription without having to pay extra for them. I think the "Netflix" like model could be interesting. Buying a game to only have it on Stadia though, not unless it's ridiculously cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I went ahead and pre-ordered, so I'm committed. At least for the first three months. I'll quite likely end up giving away the buddy pass on the Pay it Forward geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I note that the list consists of M-rated games. I assume there will be family-friendly games too; they might just be emphasizing these games because they're well-known and have high-quality graphics. The family-friendly games would probably be mostly Stadia originals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TCG Kirby wrote:
I note that the list consists of M-rated games. I assume there will be family-friendly games too; they might just be emphasizing these games because they're well-known and have high-quality graphics. The family-friendly games would probably be mostly Stadia originals.

They're starting with big sellers, which are usually M rated games, but once the platform gets going I'm sure it'll start to have a wide swath of games to appeal to different groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also wouldn't be surprised if more kid-friendly games are understood to come along of their own accord. The average age of a videogamer (in the US anyway) is up to the mid-30s now I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like it could actually be a good deal for people who don't already have gaming hardware and who have a good internet connection. It's a lot cheaper than any console or gaming PC.

I know I'm not the target audience, and I'm definitley not interested in streaming games, but I'm interested in seeing how it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ooops
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Well, I went ahead and pre-ordered, so I'm committed. At least for the first three months. I'll quite likely end up giving away the buddy pass on the Pay it Forward geeklist.

I wonder how the buddy pass works, if you are required to buy the hardware/founder pack anyway to use the service. Not asking for myself, I know from my Nvidia and PSNow experience that streaming games is not for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sykurmoli wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:

I wonder how the buddy pass works, if you are required to buy the hardware/founder pack anyway to use the service. Not asking for myself, I know from my Nvidia and PSNow experience that streaming games is not for me.

You don't need the Founder's Edition hardware specifically to use the service. You can stream to a laptop, desktop, or phone (apparently limited to Pixel 3 and 3a family phones at launch) and use any controller you can connect to those devices.

The purchase flow lets you add up to two additional controllers (I didn't; I figure I'll wait to see if I actually want more) so if the buddy already has a Chromecast Ultra you could also potentially go that route and just pick up an extra controller for them.

I would think that if you don't care about 4K then you could also use a base model Chromecast (or an Android TV which has Google Cast built in), but the material I've seen specifically says you need a Chromecast Ultra to stream to a TV, so I may be wrong about that.

Edit: Also, since I feel like I'm starting to sound like a Stadia spokesperson, I should disclaim that I'm not speaking for Google, and I have no inside information about the service. I'm just collecting the published information about it as an interested gaming consumer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool we have a guinea pig.

I think the announcement is fairly weak so far, I thought there would be a bigger game library, just more to get that monthly fee incoming.

I was also sure we were going to see Red Dead 2 as a Stadia exclusive. Timing would be perfect, and a big draw to get folks into the new platform...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.