Lure of the Temptress
Dragonsphere
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: Imperial Pursuit
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: B-Wing
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Tropico Reloaded
Hillsfar
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (1992)
Baroque
Portal 2
007: Nightfire
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TL;DR.. pretty much, see subject
I'm more aware that I should be playing new games. Not games I've already played, even though they were great.

I used to do this A LOT when I had emulators.

Nowadays, I haven't done this in the longest while. Recently.... I've found and charged up my iPod Touch 3 (still on ios5.1.1), and played a few games that never made it over to my iPod Touch 5. I've tried out a bunch of random games on my Ipad that I purchased from many years past, as well as games that are still sitting on my Ipod Touch 5.

I know a friend who keeps returning to Resident Evil 4 on Wii from time to time, citing it's just such a classic.

For me, "same game but different experience" might be OK. For example, even thought I've beaten it, going back to Zelda Ocarina Of Time (n64), to 100% it. At least with StarCraft 2 coop mode, the games I'm playing are quite different since I haven't done some of the configurations to death yet (various Missions/maps, characters/commanders, and that it's online with another human player, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I constantly go back to Infinifactory and Portal 2. I really like solving puzzles. It's new every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I go back to Tomb Raider (2013) from time to time. It's just a great story.

Also sandbox games with unlimited replayability, like Dwarf Fortress or Factorio.

I used to go back to golden-age JRPGs a lot, but I just don't have the time any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Resident Evil 1 and 2

Suikoden II

Timesplitters Future Perfect

Diablo II

Grim Dawn

Titan Quest

Disgaea 1

Last Blade II

I just like going back to these games and replaying them every so often. It's about time I play through Timesplitters again, as it's been several years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I "go back" to a number of sports games, though I guess that doesn't really count given that's how they're designed to be played, generally speaking. But I can put hundreds of hours into sports games, as weird as that sounds. I know I have over 300 hours in NASCAR '15 on Steam, and I've put at least that much into some Madden games in the past.

But as far as games that I beat and go back to, I have (in the past) routinely replayed Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy VIII, though I haven't done so in awhile. It has actually been on my mind to go back to those games recently though. When I replay the latter, I always 100% the game. Similar to your friend, I replayed Resident Evil 4 on the GameCube/PlayStation 2 pretty regularly for awhile after release.

With MGS and FF8, those are just two of my favorite games of all time. I get nostalgic for them and want to experience them again. I think I'm always hoping it will have the same magic it did when I first played them. While I wouldn't say that's true, they do always feel special. Thankfully -- at least in 2019 -- I've started focusing primarily on my backlog rather than replaying games I've already finished. While I know I'm likely to go back to a few at some point this year, I don't think I'll feel too guilty about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I go back to Dragon Age and Mass Effect and Shadowrun. I like the stories and I like the companions. The way the characters interact feels particularly lifelike.

I replay the boardgames and casual management games when I'm doing other things (Doggie Dash, Jojo's Fashion Show, Waterdeep, Elder Sign) because I can do that and talk or type.

I also go back to Portal and Nancy Drew for puzzles.

Honestly, I replay a lot of things. My family always thought I was weird because I could reread books. But on the third and fourth time through, I'm still discovering new things about the tales (Did you know GRRM has a new favorite word or two in each book? You can tell if you read it more than once).

So I like the worlds, I like the people, and I like making new discoveries. Or I just need something to keep a part of my brain busy while I'm doing something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, lots. I love replaying my favourite games, my old friends. I also liked re-reading my favourite books.

Sometimes subsequent playthroughs are better than the first, because they're not saddled with disappointment. You already know what you're getting, you can't be disappointed. Rise of the Tomb Raider and Mass Effect 2 are cases in point, small things bugged me the first time, now I just enjoy them.

Some of my replay favourites:

Metroid Prime
The Legend of Zelda TP, WW, OOT
Tomb Raider 2013 + sequels
Prince of Persia Sand of Time, Forgotten Sands Wii, 2008
The Last of Us
Uncharted series
Portal series
Okami
Ico
Mirror's Edge

Will be interesting to see if I'll want to replay open world games, like Horizon Zero Dawn or Lego City Undercover. Probably will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll replay some of my favorite RPGs if it's been long enough that I've pretty much forgotten most of the story, and I can play it on my phone, which is the only way I can find time for RPGs like that anymore.

Examples:
Chrono Trigger (played through it multiple times)
Knights of the Old Republic (replaying it now)

Some of my favorite games have active modding communities, which allows me to replay them with different experiences. Namely: Doom and STALKER.

And some games are freeform/sandbox/4X and are a different experience every time you play, like the X-COM and Civilization games, which I go back and play again every so often. Also the new Hitman game(s).

And some games are just so good, short, and sweet, that after a number of years, I just want to play them again. Examples: Mirror's Edge, Hotline Miami, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Castlevania Symphony of the Night...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I go back to and fro. However, the most older games that I get back to aren't exactly your 40-hour adventure games, but some racing game or some action game that simply hasn't been bested yet.

If you don't count when I buy a remake of something, there aren't that many longer adventure games that I get back to and replay, but it happens.

I don't have a (longer adventure) game that I regularly get back to.

If you don't just mean longer adventure games, then I can't count. Just a few days back I played Turbo Raketti (still unbeaten cave shooter, Amiga) for an hour with a pal, I frequently play Rally Cross (still unbeaten car game, Playstation), Guardian Heroes (still unbeaten multiplayer battle game, Saturn), Saturn Bomberman (have no other Bomberman for 6 players), and I also revisit C64 games for some nostalgia now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb
I don't have many games so I do go back to basically all of them from time to time.

If I feel like playing an FPS I turn on COD4 or CS, if I want an MMORPG I will go back to WoW and if I want some casual game that my girlfriend mostly enjoys I'll go with Sims 3. These mostly depend on my mood.

But, all aside I always, ALWAYS (at least once a year) end up playing the old Pokemon games on either emulators I install or on the Nintendo devices. Start to finish. And yes, I am in that phase again right now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually replay HλLF-LIFE and HλLF-LIFE² every few years. I just really like them.

I've also played 10000000 and You Must Build A Boat a few times too as they fast and interesting games to play on my phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combine my tendency to buy old games (when they have the big price drops) and my lack of ability to beat a game its hard to tell if I'm actually returning to a game or if its really just still my first play.

I think Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World are the most definitive answers I can think of. They were some of the first video games I played well. Not only are they good games they have a good douse of nostalgia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
I "go back" to a number of sports games, though I guess that doesn't really count given that's how they're designed to be played, generally speaking.

I don't play sports games, but aside from that, the above reply is mine as well. I pretty much only play games that are meant to be played again and again.

The only RPG I've gone back to is Baldur's Gate, and I didn't get far back into it before I quit and moved on. Oh, I tried getting back into Pool of Radiance, but the interface was too clunky. It was fun to have the experience again after all these years, but I don't love the game enough to get back into the old mind-set and readjust to the interface.

But of course I go back to Master of Orion all the time. So what if I started playing it in 1993 or so? It's still a very interesting, challenging, and different (enough for me) game every time I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the Soulsborne games (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1-3, Bloodborne, probably Sekiro now...) because of the intense challenge and the multiple paths to success.

The Portal games for the narratives and dialog.

Minecraft when there are new, good mods and modpacks, because I find it VERY calming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2; Child of Light and Final Fantasy Tactics. I usually don't go back and play games again unless I decide to speedrun them. I have too many games to play to focus so much on ones I've already experienced.

I used to want to 100% games, but at some point I realized I don't have the time. I might still go back and do that some day, but I'd rather get through the backlog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got probably a dozen Borderlands 2 play throughs (some solo, some exclusively co-op), and at least three for Fallout New Vegas. I just started new playthroughs of the Neverwinter Nights games because folks have been raving about one particular expansion for each of the two games and, though I possessed them, I didn't play them at the time I originally beat them. Modern RPGs have such incredible replay value thanks to endless build and class combos so it's very easy to find reasons to go back. Also, I replay a LOT of old school games via modern releases like the online NES platform on the Switch or the Genesis Collection on Steam because, honestly, speed running inspired me to find creative ways to beat games I've beat dozens of times since I was about 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I happily replay games. Any replay is possible but given that time is finite, the ones that do get replayed are favourites (especially old NES games like Link and Final Fantasy). Nostalgia and there being still more to discover would be the main reasons I’d replay a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say over half the games I play in any given year are games I'm revisiting.

Sometimes that means replaying from start to finish, as with Riven: The Sequel to Myst, sometimes it means going back to a game I started and never finished as with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition, sometimes this means exploring a old world in Minecraft (or creating a new one), and sometimes it means restarted from scratch to try to beat it as with Angband.

I do this with books too - I go back and read my favorites, while also finding time to read new books each year. But with books I tend to reread about 25% of the total books I read in a given year. Where games I'm closer to replaying 75% of all games played in a given year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
A couple of times a year I'll play 140. It's easy enough to finish in one sitting and it's always fulfilling. It's like listening to a favorite album, with jumping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I go back to games a lot, but I don't really (or rather, rarely ever) "replay" games. "Replay" is framed on games with a complete, defined arc that start and finish, but those per se are not a big part of my gaming (I mean, fighting, racing, empire games, for example, all have starts and finishes, but that isn't really how the game arc works for those kinds of games). When it is a "replay" kind of game, I'm not likely to go back instead of playing a different game with a similar kind of experience. I generally go back to games because they have more to do (which more means, aren't yet played out), or are just what I feel like at the time.

I don't think someone "should" be playing new games, as such. Replaying a game is like rewatching a movie or rereading a book. Nothing inherently wrong with it, but games do tend to take way more time, so the value of reliving an experience does come with a higher cost there as far as what it's replacing. I'm pretty free about rewatching movies, rarely reread books, and almost never replay (those kinds of) games. Ultimately, though, the harmless ways one makes their life enjoyable and rich should be up to what suits them, not some kind of obligation or efficiency analysis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bickford
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I enjoy regularly going back to games I've previously beaten if I particularly enjoyed them, especially when there is some nostalgic factor linked to it. Typically they are games that are only available on an older console, etc. Recently I've been playing two PS2 games that I think were criminally underplayed and underrated:Champions: Return to Arms, and Shadow of Rome, especially the latter. It is so damn fun, highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Shadowrun (Genesis)
Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete

Both because I love to replay them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmb
I play a few games from my childhood - probably due to nostalgia (and most of them I haven't beaten yet).
Of those I could mention McDonald Land, Guldkorn Expressen - and hopefully my Bundesliga Manager Professional disks are still working, because then I will play that a lot!

I also like to go back on PC games that I used to enjoy; two years ago I tried to go back to Need for Speed: Underground - and try to complete the game! But I got stuck at some point and didn't have much time. I more tend to wanting to replay Civilization, Civilization II, Sid Meier's Colonization, Transport Tycoon Deluxe (sometimes as OpenTTD) or Star Wars: Rebellion.

... but later this year I am also having Jazz Jackrabbit on the menu (I did only play Jazz Jackrabbit 2 in my days, however).

Generally revisits depends on my mood to be honest; sometimes I feel like playing something familiar that I enjoy - other times I want to explore!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.