Lure of the Temptress
Dragonsphere
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: Imperial Pursuit
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: B-Wing
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Tropico Reloaded
Hillsfar
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (1992)
Baroque
Portal 2
007: Nightfire
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
ooozan wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Ilike watching clips that may NOT qualify under the terms of esports, like if it's not competitive, nor professional.

Now that you mention that, I do occasionally watch gameplay on Twitch or random YouTubers. Sometimes they're great at the game, sometimes they aren't. I find both enjoyable from time to time. It's fun to watch regular folks play a competitive game.

And not only competitive but casual games also have some entertainment value to them. I remember watching a youtuber play the entirety of Last of Us. Albeit it's a film-like game but still I had fun watching this hilarious personality struggle making his way through the world. - And yes I am aware this is a bit off topic is the eSports thing but still

Also a very good point. Watching someone with a great personality play through an interesting/casual game is also fun!

I can't figure out how to embed this, but one of my favorite silly moments from the last year or so:

https://clips.twitch.tv/FaithfulObliqueLEDMcaT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with the word "sport" in eSport, mainly because I don't regard "sport" as a physical activity. Maybe I shoudl. I just regard it as "something professionally competitive". So I do regard rally as a sport, and professional chess playing as a sport. And programming competitions as a sport. In that light, of course speedrunning and competitive Rocket League / Street Fighter are sports. If you define "sports" as a physical activity (as I define the term "athlete"), then it would of course be different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
Y'know what? I don't mind it. It's participants work just as hard to get to the top levels and the fans have just as much fun as any of the fans of the regular sports I'm into, so I think it's a great thing. I especially enjoy fighting game tourneys like EVO. I've loved fighting games for years and I hope to be able to go to one one day. I feel like fighting games are far and away the most fun to watch as the technicality of what the players are doing translates really well onto the screen, and you don't have understand it to get just how impressive it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
What are your thoughts on the rise of eSports? Do you watch any? Are eSports players "athletes?" If so, which ones?

Bonus questions: what do you like about eSports? And, perhaps more controversially, are eSports players "athletes?"
I really don't consider them athletes as to me, "athlete" still refers to physical activity. To me, moving joysticks, or clicking 4 times in one second doesn't cut it. Don't get me wrong though, it's still a highly competitive environment that many of us wouldn't last a fraction of the time against the pros. Then again, esports at the Olympics might be a thing one day, as early as 2024...
https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/43893891

... if people are still cracking jokes that events like curling or luge shouldn't be at the Olympics, then we may as well add esports coollaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Olympics question is a pretty fascinating side-discussion.

Many people who live and breathe eSports, whose whole lives and careers are built around eSports, do not want even the thinnest association with the Olympics, which is a cesspool of corruption that is now actively fended off by more cities than those that court it.

It would be like FIFA expressing an interesting in Rocket League.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.