Gish
Battleground 3: Waterloo
Heroes of the Lance
Blades of Vengeance
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
This question was submitted by Simon. Thank you for the submission!

Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb

Do you like continuing to play a game after you've finished the main game and seen the end/credits? A lot of games these days allow you to reload back in before the end and continue to do side quests, post game content, other stuff you've missed. Do you enjoy this?

And here are Simon's thoughts:

manukajoe wrote:
Personally I find it a bit weird, the end of a game and watching the credits is a kind of cathartic and satisfying moment, and if I go back in I feel like I am in a kind of floating limbo, without the end of the game to draw me forward. So It's probably better for me if I delay doing the endgame until I've finished with the other stuff. Although some games unlock new content when you complete the ending, so that works against this approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game and also how it frames its ending. For some, it really does feel like turning back the clock and getting stuck in this nebulous limbo which basically has you setting up your own time to call the game "done" (games like Fallout: New Vegas come to mind). Others have an ending that offers a satisfying conclusion to the main plot, but still leaves enough room there so it doesn't feel weird that you keep exploring. For a decent example of this, see The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (yeah, you saved your foster daughter and kind of saved the world as a result and all that, but you still need to eat, so why not do a few more Witcher contracts), for a pretty bad example of this, see The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (you are the legendary dragonborn who just defeated a mythical dragon after basically visiting Valhalla, the world fails to acknowledge any of it and that peasant over there will still offer you working their field for a few septims).

And then there are examples like Mad Max (2015), which I barely managed to complete the first time around out of boredom, but came back to it a long time later, picked up where I finished (a save game right after the final cutscene) and continued exploring the map until I did as near a 100% completion as I felt interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably with Woodward on this one. It feels weird, and I don't really like it. It's not a deal-breaker – I've spent more time on Saints Row 2 post-ending than I have pre-ending, but it's still weird.

For example, in Just Cause 3, I just postponed the ending until I'd done everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there's only one game like that I've played, and it's not the kind you're talking about. It's Farmington Tales--a hidden-object game which happens to include the story of a farmer trying to win a contest so he can pay back a loan. I won the contest and paid the loan, and I got an end-of-game message. But the message asked if it's really the end, since the farmer and his wife still need to save for retirement.

So, I could keep doing the puzzles, I guess. But I decided I'd had enough.

In most of the games I play--strategy games--the campaign (which is presented as an epic story) is usually sort of an extended tutorial. When you get to the end of it, you're experienced enough to start playing the "real" game--the custom scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For me, unless there's a goal I'm working towards afterwards (in game or personally made) I find playing a game afterwards very unsatisfying. I like learning the system and overcoming challenges the game throws at me, and playing after all the content is over has none of that. Hunting down the "optional, really hard stuff that's harder than the boss but you have to find it" is all I will tend to do after I beat the main game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

I do all the sidequests before the end of the game. If I missed something, then I'll get it the next time I do a playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally don't, but that's just because I want to get through my backlog. I still might someday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Made you look!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another "it depends" reporting in.

This is basically core to the gameplay loop of Dwarf Fortress. Once your fort reaches its inevitable end, do you give up and slink off to another part of the world? Do you try for a reclaim? Do you pop into adventurer mode and try to loot the good stuff that you know must be around there somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add another "it depends" as well. I would say the vast majority of the time, I complete everything I'm interested in before the credits roll. When I see those credits, as others have said, it has a sense of accomplishment and finality. That said, in a game like Grand Theft Auto V, for example, there's still tons of shenanigans to get into after the credits roll. My goal would be to have all of the "missions" I'm interested in doing done by the time I finish the story, but I'm not opposed to hopping back in the world and causing a little havoc. That sort of thing doesn't feel weird to me so long as nothing in the story would make it so (i.e. a character dying but suddenly being playable again post-game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Yes. I love playing bonus materials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb
I'm going to go with a firm no on this one. I still do play the continuation don't get me wrong but I mostly lack the motivation to keep going. There are many, many times where I have just stopped before completing everything that can be done after the credits/ main storyline. I guess it's because the frequency at which I play the game drastically decreases once it's done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game, and by that I mean most modern RPGs. Borderlands, Fallout, The Elder Scrolls, etc, make themselves so endlessly replayable and I love it. A lot of games bring me back with alternate endings and unlockables, though. Oh, and I used to be huge into achievement hunting back in the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Dyke
England
London, England.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Single player, I'd say mostly, no.

Simply because once the credits roll, it's the end for me. I usually complete all side quests etc because they tend to give you rewards, whether it be experience to help level up and unlock a new skill, or a new weapon or item that will aid in combat.

The idea of receiving such items after you've finished the campaign seems irrelevant to me.

If I miss an achievement by the end credits that inlvolves some sort of grinding for the 'fun' of it - I'm done, deleted, next game.

There are too many great games to experience rather than messing around after the final mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game, but over time I've come to expect less and less finality from credits. To be honest, I've played games where the credits come up and I'm like "oh, they put the credits here" and then I grab my laptop and jump on VGG for a few minutes while they roll in the background.

Certainly there are games with a more traditional finale. If I reach the credits in an Uncharted game, that probably means I'm done playing it until I'm in the mood to start fresh years later.

But there are plenty of games where completing the 'main game' isn't the underlying goal for me really at any point along the way, although it goes without saying that I'll see the credits somewhere or other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Depends on the game, but over time I've come to expect less and less finality from credits.

In movies too. I get up to walk out of the theater, and my wife says, "No, wait. I think there might be something more after the credits." Turns out there sometimes is. I don't get it, but it happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb
It's interesting to note that this is quite the opposite in multiplayer games when you think about it. The reaching of the endgame is usually when the actual content begin.

I can think of many examples, mostly MMORPGs like WOW, SWTOR, Wildstar, or even League of Legends, maybe even CS:GO if you considering being eligible to play ranked as an end-game scenario. And I am sure there are more examples out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
When I had less money than free time this option would have been very appreciated by me. Today video games cost between twenty cents and at most $5 and my free time is very limited. I'm happy usually happy to walk away from the opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
It very much depends on the game.

When it's a level-based or mostly linear game that leads to a definitive conclusion, I'm usually okay with it ending there. When I want to play it again, I'll either start from a previous save game (often just before the ending, if levels can be replayed), or start it over from the beginning, maybe using cheat codes to jump ahead to certain levels and/or get access to certain weapons or items to try them out in places you're not supposed to have them.

If it's an open world or "sandbox" game, or really anything with lots of sidequests and non-linear levels, I'll almost always keep playing after finishing the main storyline. With games where there's still lots of stuff to do just for fun, like in GTA:SA, I'll keep playing it even after reaching 100% completion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With some of the games I really enjoy, hitting the credits seems more to me like, "Oh, hey, congratulations on finishing the tutorial."

This is obviously true with games that have an NG+ mechanic, but gems like The Witness also let you get to the "conclusion" pretty easily, and with only 50% of the actual game completed. Then you get to find all of the hidden, challenging material.

The GTA games were the same. The final mission just meant you didn't have many more cutscenes to sit through, but there was a TON of other stuff, some better than the main plot missions, to get done.

(I am a 95% completionist, in that I like to try to platinum games, but if the final trophy or two is going to require a 12-hour grind I'm okay stopping there. But this means I almost always spend a significant amount of time post-credits, and it doesn't feel weird to me at all...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I do this often. Many games I play have multiple endings, so of course I'm going to play again! Same with games that have side-quests as well as main quests - I'm going to play those after the main quest is completed if I haven't finished all the side-quests I'm interested in. Sometimes there is new game + where features are unlocked for a second playthrough. And sometimes I just want to relive the feelings from playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. I generally play all the side stuff first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. In games like Super Mario Galaxy 2, various other SMB, various Zeldas...
I'd like to check out the ending ASAP, and fight the final boss that much sooner as well.

Trying to 100% the game is like a bonus game (assuming they do it well)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mb
Yes, if the credits don't roll - the game ain't finished.

You wouldn't stop a movie before the credits rolled, would you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:

You wouldn't stop a movie before the credits rolled, would you?

Depends on the movie.

To answer the original question, I usually don't continue to play a game after I beat the main story line. The exception to that are the Disgaea games. In the later games, you get plopped back into the game after the credits, and the games add lots of new content, challenges, and things to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll put it this way: I try not to get to the credits until I've unlocked as much of the game as possible. So do I keep playing after the credits? Only if it forced me to see them before I was finished.

Obviously, as games have gotten bigger, this strategy is become less and less tenable... Had a friend tell me I only disliked San Andreas because I decided to 100% it. He might be right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.