Subject: VGG QOTD 2019 April 4 - Do you find video game reviews helpful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will refrain from commenting since I'm (admittedly) biased and as a former professional reviewer, have a conflict of interest in the topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
I will refrain from commenting since I'm (admittedly) biased and as a former professional reviewer, have a conflict of interest in the topic.
All the more reason you should comment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, so long as you weren't a former professional reviewer for GameInformer, wytefang, I don't see an issue there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not helpful, but entertaining.

I have not till this date bought a game after I've read a review of it. Of course, the previous sentence MUST be false, but what it means is that I cannot remind myself of any game in which a specific review has enticed me to buy it. I think 90% of my game buys are "on auto" (I know from beforehand that I know it) or "impulse" (I like the cover; am in a particularily good mood that morning).

I've also realized that my tastes in videogames are quite far away from any one else's (at least quite far away from most people here), that praise or non-praise from other gamers have little relevance with what I'd think about the game. I find that a title, a cover picture and one or two screenshots tell me way more than an entire review does. If I do read one of a game I haven't played, I'm more interested in a negative review than a positive one – when people are negative, they tend to be more concrete.

However, as I am quite interested in human thinking and various points of view, I do find reviews very entertaining to read after I've played a game. It's intriguing to read what other people found interesting and annoying in the game. It gives some sort of new perspective that I can ponder on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I watch a lot of reviews. Sometimes of games I've already played. Sometimes of ones I'm interested in buying. Sometimes of ones I'm not going to buy.

It is tricky to figure out how biased the reviewer is. I was listening to a podcast called "What's Good Games" and it's like a 2 hour long commercial! IGN always seems insufficiently critical too. But things like Zero Punctuation are just rants and not useful to me.

I want to see the gameplay mostly, and hear how it works, and get an idea of what genre the game is. It's because of reviews that I've never gone for Bayonetta or Red Dead Redemption. Just don't seem like my thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends. Once saw a video that was quite on point: reviews from random people have no value as you don't know their background. Reviews from people you know (or at least have read a lot of their reviews) are better as you get a context. Someone bashing a jump and run might make it look like a bad game but once you know that he never finished a single jump & run in his life it looks different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
It depends. Once saw a video that was quite on point: reviews from random people have no value as you don't know their background. Reviews from people you know (or at least have read a lot of their reviews) are better as you get a context. Someone bashing a jump and run might make it look like a bad game but once you know that he never finished a single jump & run in his life it looks different.

I guess in that regard the best reviews are gameplay videos. You see how the game is played without the opinions of the player playing. The only issue there is you also get minor spoilers if any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But the danger with that is that it is easy to make a game look bad if you want to. Show only the shitty scenes and bugs. Use shitty settings. Play like a moron. The basic question is: Do you trust the reviewer enough? Most often the answer is a defintive no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like reading reviews, although I usually do so after I get into a game rather than before, in order to see how my impressions match up with other people's. It helps sometimes to get my head around what I like or find unsatisfactory about some game.

JohnRayJr wrote:
There are a few people on this website who could like a game, and that would carry as much or more weight than an individual professional review.

Yeah, this. Depends on the person and the game, and I know I have patience for things others don't (and vice versa), but I find it really handy to have a community of VGGers where I've built a sense of tastes and biases over the years when it comes to finding info on games. Plus, I've found out about all sorts of games I would've never otherwise heard of from reading about other VGGers playing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enjoy some homing fireballs!
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find that they're helpful in terms of purchasing decisions, unless it's a positive review of a game I've never even heard of before.

Rather, they're useful for the same reason we still write and read criticism of Hemmingway, Bach, or Van Gogh; reading good criticism of games (which is, sadly, vanishingly rare and gets rarer by the day) can help you gain a better understanding both of individual games, and, more importantly, of the medium as a whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.