Lure of the Temptress
Dragonsphere
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: Imperial Pursuit
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: B-Wing
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Tropico Reloaded
Hillsfar
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (1992)
Baroque
Portal 2
007: Nightfire
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Video Game» Forums » VGG Related » VGG News

Subject: VGG Geek of the Week #213 - Ozan (ooozan) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Today, I happily introduce the next Geek of the Week, Ozan (ooozan)!

Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb

While Ozan is a relatively new contributor to VGG, his insight and opinions on the games he's playing as well as his responses to the VGG QOTDs caught my attention. He's a really nice guy as well! This will be a great opportunity for all of us to get to know him more.

ooozan wrote:
Oh man where to start… Hello Geeks! I initially came on the domain for BGG in 2016 (Wow has it been that long?), but nowadays the only reason I log in is for VGG and RPGG, funny how things turn out. I mostly hang out on the forums and enjoy chatting about and discussing the QOTD topics with you all. I started playing a PbF D&D game on RPGG so that gives me a good reason to log in everyday. I make sure to check both forums while I’m online.

So, let’s carry on the tradition and let me give you a quick glimpse on my video gaming history. When I was little I remember playing a few things: Pokemon Ruby on my Nintendo Advanced SP where I remember having a 80-something level Alakazam and still never beating the first member of the elite 4, playing F1 2001 with a wheel on my XBOX with my father projecting the screen onto a wall and basically turning the living room into a giant play room, and finally, (I find this quite funny) playing both Midtown Madness and GTA Vice City, following the rules, stopping at red lights etc. I don’t know I remember having so much fun doing this, it seems quite pointless now looking back.

My video gaming accelerated in high school as most of my friends were also gamers. I started exploring more genres. I played WOW, we would occasionally go out to internet cafes to play DOTA, we played many FPS titles and various other games, constantly. We played LOL when it came out, and CS:GO near the end of high school. We even brought our laptops to school and had LAN parties playing CS1.6. We basically played every major multiplayer title on the market. And yes from this it should be obvious that I mostly play multiplayer games.

Anyway I’m rambling. Non-gaming-wise I am pretty busy with university. I am doing my Masters at ETH Zurich, focusing on machine learning applications in biomedical imaging. I am currently finishing off my work on breast cancer detection using a commercially available Ultrasound transducer with some good results I might add.

Going back to gaming, pretty much on a daily basis I play F1 2016 on my phone. I love watching F1 and I not only watch the race, the qualifications but also the free practices as well. I find it very entertaining driving on the tracks the F1 drivers will be driving that very Sunday, it gives me a chance to familiarize myself with the breaking points and possible overtaking spots before the race so I can get a better feeling what the drivers go through that day. Other than that anytime my girlfriend comes over we play Sims 3 because she loves the game.

So yeah, I guess that’s me. I’m %100 I’m forgetting something but I’m sure it’ll pop up somewhere on the forums eventually

That's awesome! I remember the days of CS 1.6 LAN parties as well. Good times!

Here are Ozan's answers to the standard Geek of the Week questions:

ooozan wrote:
- What is the worst game you ever played (and why)?
Here is the thing, I don’t have many games. I play a lot, but not a huge variety. It’s very rare to see a game I’ve played less than 300 hours. So this question is quite hard for me because since I invest the time into the games I play, I tend to do some research before going forward with a purchase.

I have two answers to this question: 1- Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor. Now you might be wondering, what? Why? Why would this be a bad game? Well, here is the fact, and by all means it is not the games fault. I bought the game but was too busy to play. It took me maybe 5 months to find some time to download the game and guess what, my laptop couldn’t handle the graphics. Steam shows the game played as 7 minutes. It’s such a shame that despite what is stated for the minimum requirements, even in lowest setting, it just crashes every single time.
2 - I would say Pokemon Sun. I just didn’t enjoy the game at all. It didn’t feel like a Pokemon game to me. I like the fact that they’re trying to do something different, change the formula but this was a complete miss in my book.

- What is your favorite video game-related memory?

I have so many! I might go with F1 2001, and again this might just be my recent bias coming into play but let’s go with it. Back when I was 7 years old, my father would bring a projector home from work. We would take down the TV in the living room, take down the paintings on the wall and project the game onto the entire wall. We had one of the Ferrari wheels compatible with XBOX back then. I mean this wasn’t an easy find for us because we brought my XBOX from USA, from when we lived there. XBOX wasn’t even available back then in Turkey so any gear we wanted, needed to be brought somehow from the US. Anyway, I remember my mother attempting to play and she would just drive from one barrier to the next. Left, right, left, right. Basically like a bowling ball making its way to the pins with the side barriers up. Funny thing is she is actually a good driver in real life

- How long was your longest single VG-playing-session ever (and what game(s))?

There was a time where I played WOW for over 24 hours. Two of my friends were staying at my place. We played casually for 5, 6 hours and then started looking for a raiding group. After finding the group we were going so well, none of us wanted to stop so we just powered through. In the end if I remember correctly we managed to clear up until Sindragosa in ICC and continuously wiped there.

- What is your current platform of choice?

Currently Android. But generally, I’d have to say I’ve always been a PC guy.

- What are you playing now, and what will you be playing next?

F1 2016 as stated above. I have a few things planned out for future plays. This summer I plan on going back to WOW, playing on the Vanilla server. I started playing WOW near the end of WOTLK so I never had a chance to experience the old state of the game. I have a friend or two who are also interested so it may be fun casually playing. For the distant future I will invest in a VR headset along with a force-feedback wheel and play the F1. I tried this at a friends house and it was probably one of my favorite experiences (Maybe this should’ve been my answer to number 2, too late now ).

- Do you use cheat codes?

I do not. I mostly play multiplayer games so there are no cheat codes in those.

- What is your favorite contribution (of yours or of another user) to VGG (provide a link, if possible)?

I guess most of what I’ve done is muck about on QOTD threads. That being said, here’s a quote for you all:

“For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.”
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

And here are Ozan's Top 5 Games of All Time, and everyone gets to guess which game he would keep if it were the only game he could have the rest of his life.

Poll: VGG GotW #213 Game Poll
If Ozan could only keep one game for the rest of his life, which one of these would it be?
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Pokémon SoulSilver
World of Warcraft
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Rise of Nations
      12 answers
Poll created by ghostpants
Closes: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:00 am

Congratulations, Ozan! Enjoy your time as Geek of the Week! Let's ask him some interesting questions, everyone!

Learn more about the VGG Geek of the Week program here:
https://videogamegeek.com/wiki/page/VGGeek_of_the_Week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Ozan!

Since you played CS 1.6, were you into TFC also at the time?

Enjoy your time as GOTW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get us started with a few questions!

When you're not gaming or working on your university studies, what other hobbies do you have?

What game(s) are you most looking forward to this year?

What is your favorite film?

What kind of music do you listen to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmb
Congratulations, Ozan! Have a wonderful week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Ozan!
Hope you have a wizard of a week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Ozan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks everyone! Since I'm early I might as well start with the questions.

bulldog93 wrote:
Since you played CS 1.6, were you into TFC also at the time?

No not really. We mostly played CS1.6 on poolday and iceworld along with the classics of dust, dust2 and assault, occasionally HL. I did play TF2 a bit but didn't enjoy it that much to stick around.

ghostpants wrote:
When you're not gaming or working on your university studies, what other hobbies do you have?

Oh man, where to start? I love watching chess, and yes not playing but watching. The game has very simple rules yet it manages to be rather complex and I find that quite fascinating. I don't play it myself because I know I would reach the caliber of a super GM. I guess the level of play is what I find fun to watch not the game itself, so that should give you an insight on my choice of entertainment.

Other than that for sports: I love F1 which you already know by now, I play tennis, go out for long runs from time to time and ski when it's winter. Being in Switzerland really helps in that regard.

I play boardgames and D&D. I also solve twisty puzzles when I get my hands on interesting ones. Think Rubik's cube but much different, complex and/or with a twist, no pun intended. I also code for fun, very nerdy yes. I guess that's it from the top of my head.

ghostpants wrote:
What game(s) are you most looking forward to this year?

I would say the first thing I am looking forward to is Google Stadia. Not a game I know, but it's something that'll enable me to play the big titles. I only have a Macbook Pro 2014 and it is in no means ideal for gaming. I have basically a semester left for my MSc so I have big plans moving forward, all dependent on how successful the Stadia launch will be. I'll either go with that or get a PS5 when it comes out.

I'm looking forward for F1 2019 if Stadia is as good as Google promised. I'll deck out with a good wheel and maybe VR glasses and amp up my Android setup ('setup' is just my phone) into an actual experience.

If not I guess I'll go with The Last of Us 2. I think that's coming out on 2019 right?

ghostpants wrote:
What is your favorite film?

This is a hard one. I guess it's The Two Towers if I had to pick one. If not I can extend the list to A New Hope, 3 Idiots, Oldboy, Gora, Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Snatch? I don't know this is quite a tough one to answer and I'm sure the list will change by as close as tomorrow.

ghostpants wrote:
What kind of music do you listen to?

Mostly progressive metal, classic rock, some jazz. If I need to give names my favorite band for the past 5 years has been Haken. Just last month I went to see them in Aarau, an hour away from Zurich. It was amazing! Following that you have bands like Thank You Scientist, maybe Blind Guardian, Disturbed, DT, some classics like Led Zeppelin, Queen, Pink Floyd, ACDC, RHCP. You also have some names like Coleman Hawkins, Charlie Parker, Cannonball Adderley, Ben Webster and John Coltrane. This is just the tip of the iceberg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Ozan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Ozan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Congrats Ozan! Have a fun and fruitful week of gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Ozan! Hope to get to know you better as this year goes on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rae Zin were here
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
All good things
badge
The BANCE - bear dance!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Ozan!

You really deserve this (coming from an RPGG point of view though, as I hardly venture into VGG territory lol). Imo, I don't think being GotW on RPGG, BGG or VGG makes too much difference. Fact is, you are The Chosen One (for a short while)!

Questions Time!

1 1 + 1 + 1 = ?

2 If you could teleport to any place in the world or universe, where would that be?

3 What superpower would you choose, if you could choose to have any superpower, that you could use in the real world? Why?

4 In exchange for that superpower you chose, you now have to choose a superweakness, some Achilles heel. Your superweakness would be as terrible as your superpower is awesome. What would this superweakness be?

5 If you had to choose, in an epic RPG, to save your true love but doom the rest of the world to certain calamity, or let him/her die but save the rest of the world, what would you choose if there were only either of those two choices?

6 Bonus Question - What question would you want to ask yourself, and then answer it for us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks all, cheers taen!

taen wrote:
1 1 + 1 + 1 = ?

42, duh!

taen wrote:
2 If you could teleport to any place in the world or universe, where would that be?

Realistically it would have to be somewhere on earth since we don't currently know any other planets that are a comfortable distance away from a star similar to our sun such that they're outside of the radiation zone, but not so far out that they become freezing. Also earth has a protective atmosphere with oxygen which isn't half bad.

The boring answer would be south pole, someplace I can never realistically go without teleporting. Or a better answer is the ISS. I would love to see the panic at NASA or ESA when they realize someone somehow boarded their station.

If I can teleport back and wear a special suit I'd say either the moon for the view or maybe Mars, again for the view.

taen wrote:
3 What superpower would you choose, if you could choose to have any superpower, that you could use in the real world? Why?

Teleportation! Simply because it beats flying since you can teleport a distance of dx in a time of dt = practically flying. I would do the above if I had the power Also visiting my girlfriend in Germany and my parents in Turkey more often would be a side benefit.

taen wrote:
4 In exchange for that superpower you chose, you now have to choose a superweakness, some Achilles heel. Your superweakness would be as terrible as your superpower is awesome. What would this superweakness be?

Hm, this is a difficult one. I'm gonna go with 'You can teleport, but not your clothes.' This would be quite limiting as well as being hilarious at the same time! I guess the way to overcome this would be the body paint but who knows maybe they don't come with you as well!

taen wrote:
5 If you had to choose, in an epic RPG, to save your true love but doom the rest of the world to certain calamity, or let him/her die but save the rest of the world, what would you choose if there were only either of those two choices?

I would save the world. I mean yes it is poetic to go for the loved one but once everyone is dead you have a limited time on earth anyways. Everything will rot once the electricity runs out since no one is producing. You would then need to farm for food so the variety you can obtain will plummet. Meh, rationally not worth it.

taen wrote:
6 Bonus Question - What question would you want to ask yourself, and then answer it for us?

Would I ask a question to myself? No. Ah the paradox...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Ozan,

d10-1 What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2 Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3 Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4 Having fun?
d10-5 What would have been your name if it wasn't the name you have?
d10-6 What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8 What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?
d10-1d10-2 What is your favourite RPG race/class?
d10-1d10-3 If you could go back in time - where and when would you go?
d10-1d10-4 Could you enlighten us about your avatar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

Narl wrote:
d10-1 What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?

GREEN! greentrain

Narl wrote:
d10-2 Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?

Spring, it's like summer but with less flies.

Narl wrote:
d10-3 Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?

No not really. I have played the piano for 6 years when I was young, the drums for a year but nothing stuck. I want to learn how to play the saxophone but I'm afraid if I buy it it'll end up collecting dust. I have the desire but I don't have the right condition to play it living in an apartment building. I would probably get kicked out immediately

Narl wrote:
d10-4 Having fun?

Yea! I'm a bit sick right now, sore throat, runny nose, but other than that all good.

Narl wrote:
d10-5 What would have been your name if it wasn't the name you have?

Ah this is a tough one I really like my name. I'll go with Osman. It's quite similar I know but I have my reasons

Narl wrote:
d10-6 What is your favourite snack?

There are these cookies just made out of hazelnut and sugar. Right now I love chugging those down with some tea.

Narl wrote:
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?

Right now it has to be Thursday. I'm completely free on that day with no expectations from anyone, so it's a great chance for me to catch up with my school work.

Narl wrote:
d10-8 What is your favourite time of day?

Lunch time!

Narl wrote:
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?

I'd most likely be an engineer. Maybe the Chief Engineer or the Science Officer like Spock or the Communications Officer like Uhura since my background is in Electrical Engineering and I am a TA for the Wireless Communication Lab that fits right in. If Next Gen I'd go with La Forge to check how the visor looks. cool

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?

Any research project I am working on. I like solving problems that haven't been tackled before.

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?

It's hard to explain but I guess you can sum it up to seeing the frontier of science. I want to know as the human race what is really the farthest we can achieve. For that you either have to achieve it yourself or go into the military I presume.

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-2 What is your favourite RPG race/class?

A cleric in real time games, a bard in a PbF setting. I am currently playing Mil the beardless Dwarven Bard in mb taen's HotDQ Campaign if you are interested in why I enjoy a bard so much. Just a few of my posts will give you an idea

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-3 If you could go back in time - where and when would you go?

Depends on if I can come back. If I can't I'd just go to a pre Newton era, restate all his and others future findings. If I could come back however I would either go to 1923 to see Atatürk or go WAY back to see a dinosaur (then probably die).

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-4 Could you enlighten us about your avatar?

It's mostly from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's from the movies that I don't enjoy as much but it's still a good representative image. I made the DON'T PANIC sign and the little TARDIS hiding in the logo myself in Photoshop. Near Christmas the TARDIS wears a Santa Claus hat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.