Lure of the Temptress
Dragonsphere
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: Imperial Pursuit
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: B-Wing
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Tropico Reloaded
Hillsfar
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (1992)
Baroque
Portal 2
007: Nightfire
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
67 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: VGG QOTD 2019 April 8 - What do you hope to see from next-generation consoles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you hope to see from next-generation consoles? If you're a PC gamer, is there anything you're hoping to see in the coming years (i.e. new hardware, technology, etc.)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see Sony follow Nintendo's lead with some sort of hybrid home console/portable system. I'm a big fan of the PlayStation Vita, but Sony sort of let it die in the west. I love using features like remote play, and being able to take a more fully-fledged PlayStation experience on the go would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunno about next generation, but a few generations down the line I'd love to see some VR with haptic feedback. That's the big thing I'm excited about for the jump to VR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a big fan of the Wii U controller pad. I know there is a zero possibility for that, but if I were allowed to dream, I'd want a future console to have controllers that both have screens but that also connects to a larger screen, to allow for weird and assymetrical coach multi-player madness.

Realistically, I hope they keep physical games packages, and try not to interact with everyone and their grandmother.

Pessimistically, I hope they just stay in existance. Because, considering how consoles are gradually losing their personality (there isn't THAT big a difference between a PS4 and an XBone), I fear that what we'll see in the future is some sort of "generic game platform standard" and then have various versions of that. I say "fear", because the part I appreciate with consoles is their "for posterity" isolated context, or "closed black box" concept. However, this is gradually going away, and the idea of being able to play a game out of the box on a platform out of the box is slowly eroding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Zimeon. I always wanted a better Wii U where multiplayer pads could be added for couch multiplayer where everyone has a private screen, ala Four Swords.

I'd love to see a VR console that can bring down the price and keep the experience high, but I don't think we're close to that.

Barring that, I just hope that Sony and Microsoft try to innovate in the way that Nintendo does, because I agree that their consoles lack personality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there next generation consoles on the way? I thought they were just constantly updating the current ones? Well Microsoft and Sony anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
They've said something about a Playstation 5. For 2020, I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DRM free.

I think I might have ended up in the wrong reality for that to be a possibility though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to have more cross platform capability between each other

(I thought I had a thread about what Sony's next game will be that will go cross-platform, but I'll have to link that later)

Zimeon wrote:
I was a big fan of the Wii U controller pad. I know there is a zero possibility for that, but if I were allowed to dream, I'd want a future console to have controllers that both have screens but that also connects to a larger screen, to allow for weird and assymetrical coach multi-player madness.
People decried this as "gimmicky" (not that it wouldn't be the first time they did so with Nintendo stuff), but I REALLY liked this! The problem was 3rd party companies who ported their games wouldn't really do much with this naturally, and I don't blame them since PS, Xbox, and even PC (if it got to there) didn't have a "quasi-ipad", so they wouldn't want to do more work just for one platform. Nintendo was the only one who did anything significant with this, but FWIW, they did that well.

Also, it doesn't work that well for some cases. For example, you'd think that playing Mortal Kombat (9) with the gamepad is neat because the gamepad displays all of your special moves while you're playing. What actually ended up happening was b/c the game doesn't need to pause anymore while you're looking up move lists, your opponent gets to clobber you while you're looking up the moves! wow

Zimeon wrote:
Realistically, I hope they keep physical games packages, and try not to interact with everyone and their grandmother.

Pessimistically, I hope they just stay in existance. Because, considering how consoles are gradually losing their personality (there isn't THAT big a difference between a PS4 and an XBone), I fear that what we'll see in the future is some sort of "generic game platform standard" and then have various versions of that. I say "fear", because the part I appreciate with consoles is their "for posterity" isolated context, or "closed black box" concept. However, this is gradually going away, and the idea of being able to play a game out of the box on a platform out of the box is slowly eroding.
Should be fine. Consoles are still affordable, convenient, and low maintenance, so they should be around to stay. I will acknowledge that there's the usual disclaimer of "provided they don't f-up royally somehow". These days, ya never know. :x I don't expect IAP and MTX to be gone, but hopefully, they can dial back some of the worst offenders of those.

Anecdote is I was at my usual vg lounge one day, and I marveled how popular they were. I figured these patrons would just play on their own PCs. One of the employees brought up how some of them are college students. They don't have the time nor money to buy their own gaming rigs, and keep them up to date, so it's just easier to go 'there', and get in their "heavy gaming". You can still play medium or below graphic settings, and many Steam games do NOT require bleeding edge hardware at all, but evidently, the market has spoken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
The abolition of console/platform exclusives and Sony finally getting the stick out of their ass and going all in on cross console play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Earnest question, I suppose: Would the death of exclusives be good for competition? As much as I want developers to strive for novelty with their consoles, they historically have not and exclusives are what lent a healthy competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VanillaCokeMule wrote:
The abolition of console/platform exclusives

I know a lot of people feel this way. And, I certainly wouldn't mind if I could play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on PS4, as an example.

But when it is phrased in this way - "abolition" - I'm never really sure what people are talking about. Do you mean federal legislation within the United States requiring companies to port software releases to run on competing platforms? Or do you hope that companies will stop making exclusives because, in a very broad sense, it annoys gamers?

It seems to me that, for consumers to exert leverage on the issue of exclusives, it would require an extraordinary degree of selflessness. For instance, as a PS4 owner, I own things like Bloodborne, HZD, Persona 5, etc. But it never occurred to me that I should forgo purchasing them out of solidarity with non-PS4 owners, with the hope that years from now, things like the Legend of Zelda will come to "my" platform.

And I can't imagine there are many Switch owners who are boycotting first-party games on principle.

So how does it work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to see them:

1. Not focus on VR to the exclusion of other experiences (this might happen but it might not)
2. Develop stringent performance standards requiring short load times, stable framerates, etc (this won't happen)
3. Not in any way embrace "streamed" games a la Google Stadia
4. Not in any way advance "always online" requirements to play and experience games.
5. Not in any way encroach on current notions of first-sale ownership.

I'm not optimistic, but on the other hand, Sony dealt Microsoft a black eye basically just by mocking their early commitment to numbers 3-5 when the XBONE launched. Still, I have my doubts they'll do it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what I don't want - consoles geared towards streaming. Also, I don't want to just see a more powerful hardware and better graphics. I want innovation over power.

Even though the WiiU was a failure I would like a console that used the tv screen and the console screen at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On numbers 1 and 3, I think of them as necessary steps in time.

For VR, I think the thing to take them truly into the mainstream would be a powerful all-in-one system that comes with VR out of the box and for an affordable price. Obviously that system could too play non-VR games, ideally, but having VR out of the box is important for developers to embrace the technology. VR has done pretty well for itself without a dedicated system - I know people that have converted rooms in their house as a safe VR space - but it's still pretty small potatoes and I predict we won't see any significant innovation until it's in the hands of tens of millions of users. It's getting there now, but it really needs to be powerful to avoid motion sickness issues and that costs. A company willing to take on the strategy of swallowing some of the upfront costs for licensing profits could go a long way in making it affordable.

I've probably said this before, but if our internet infrastructure ever becomes robust enough (and perhaps compression methods advanced enough), streaming games can be a game changer for a lot of people. Hardware is expensive, and the more advanced it is the more expensive it is. What if we could borrow from the power of super computers to power our games, for the cost of a monthly subscription? There's a host of problems with streaming games, of course, but there's a plethora of benefits too. If we can get there. We're not there yet, so I'm similarly apprehensive of Stadia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
For me, it's not so much the end of exclusives, but I'd rather see a DVD-like data standard that companies can make consoles for, and the real competition would be in developing good games, and honestly more importantly, good controllers. A universal platform would allow people to freely develop accessible controllers without catering to a specific platform, among probably plenty of other things.

The only problem I see with that is that it has the potential to harm innovation of platform (IE switch going back to cartridge is something no other platform is likely to do anytime soon since they don't have a history of it), but if at the very least the readability of data is made uniform somehow, the console can become independent of companies.

Plus like - don't most companies lose money on their consoles? Couldn't they benefit by dropping hardware development? I dunno, I know a lot of this isn't super thought through, but there's gotta be a path towards this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing I always hope to see. Backwards compatibility. I think its time has gone, though. Perhaps foolishly so. I honestly believe it was one of the things that made the Playstation 2 the best selling console of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb
Well if Stadia delivers on what it promises I won't need anything else. And no, I don't like the streaming focus as well but having the chance to play any game on the Google servers allows me to game on my laptop!

If not:
- Unlike some I do want powerful hardware and better graphics.
- Better (and cheaper) VR support.
- Possible keyboard/mouse support. This might actually break all FPS games but still I love the fact that consoles nowadays are not just gaming consoles but also entertainment centers. This solidify them as such by introducing an easier navigation system. You have Netflix on consoles, you have Youtube on consoles and that is all you need.

I think that is the next step for consoles. Home entertainment over gaming focus. I mean how far can you really go with gaming at this point with a simple hardware?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
VanillaCokeMule wrote:
The abolition of console/platform exclusives

I know a lot of people feel this way. And, I certainly wouldn't mind if I could play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on PS4, as an example.

But when it is phrased in this way - "abolition" - I'm never really sure what people are talking about. Do you mean federal legislation within the United States requiring companies to port software releases to run on competing platforms? Or do you hope that companies will stop making exclusives because, in a very broad sense, it annoys gamers?

It seems to me that, for consumers to exert leverage on the issue of exclusives, it would require an extraordinary degree of selflessness. For instance, as a PS4 owner, I own things like Bloodborne, HZD, Persona 5, etc. But it never occurred to me that I should forgo purchasing them out of solidarity with non-PS4 owners, with the hope that years from now, things like the Legend of Zelda will come to "my" platform.

And I can't imagine there are many Switch owners who are boycotting first-party games on principle.

So how does it work?

Apologies. I'm fine with Switch exclusives because those are usually enough in and of themselves to make a Nintendo console worth it. My frustration comes from the recent announcements of timed exclusivity of the recently announced Borderlands 3 and Outer Worlds games to the Epic Game Launcher on PC. I've heard a significant number of sketchy things about that that seem to at least have a foundation in reality and I don't want to wait several months to be able to get those games on Steam, Borderlands 3 especially as I've already waited 7 years for that game. Console exclusives are a necessity, but this individual online store exclusivity for PC is asinine. I have no idea to fix it, so I'm kind of just hoping that all the ill will that Epic is gathering will kill it, though I know a lot of folks want a competing store on PC so that Steam will have to address some of its less savory practices. Personally I think GOG's Galaxy launcher is primed for that as people have a lot more good will toward CD Projekt Red than Valve or Epic right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see a home console that has a tablet for a controller, but the controller can also be used as a handheld. When in TV mode, the tablet can either simulate a traditional controller, a keyboard, or a second screen like the 3DS or Wii U. When in handheld mode, the top of the tablet would show the game while the bottom half simulates the traditional controller or the keyboard, or have the second touchscreen like 3DS and Wii U. The controls should be costomized to your liking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes a lot of sense.

Timed exclusivity is a curious practice - I'd love to see the corporate calculus and internal projections. I remember when Rise of the Tomb Raider launched with a full-year of Xbox exclusivity, and I thought... "well, whatever, but you don't actually think I'm going to pay much for it once it is available on PS4, do you?"

To me, it was a year-old game.

PC fragmenting into competing storefronts sounds frustrating. I haven't been on the platform in a long time, but the last thing I would want to deal with is EA, Ubisoft, Epic, etc all trying bottleneck where you can buy games for the same hardware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
That makes a lot of sense.

Timed exclusivity is a curious practice - I'd love to see the corporate calculus and internal projections. I remember when Rise of the Tomb Raider launched with a full-year of Xbox exclusivity, and I thought... "well, whatever, but you don't actually think I'm going to pay much for it once it is available on PS4, do you?"

To me, it was a year-old game.

PC fragmenting into competing storefronts sounds frustrating. I haven't been on the platform in a long time, but the last thing I would want to deal with is EA, Ubisoft, Epic, etc all trying bottleneck where you can buy games for the same hardware.
Eh, that move with Rise was kind of sad to me. That was Microsoft's last real effort at trying to get back some ground in the exclusives battle of this gen, but, much as pains me to admit, Sony won it a long time ago for this console generation. Thankfully they stopped trying so hard and instead switched focus to fleshing out the backwards compatibility program and cross play. But yeah, it's incredibly frustrating. I was on consoles for most of my life until about 6 or 7 years ago when my younger brothers roped me in by starting a gaming group with our buddies scattered across the east coast. Steam was pretty much it, other than Battle.net from Blizzard, though that only covered their games and Activision's later on after the merger. Origin tried but stumbled out of the gate. It's at least recovered enough to have a foothold, but it's still not great. UPlay was next from Ubisoft but they completely botched it. I'm not sure how it's still limping along today. GOG's Galaxy platform has been quietly doing its own thing. It's a little clunky but still quite pleasant and overall easy to use. Epic got cocky with the absurd success of Fortnite, found themselves in a bit over their head and went with a ruthless tactic to try to be competitive with Steam. Competition is a good thing, especially for an entity that's become as bloated and lethargic as Valve, but there has to be a way to bring that without screwing over the consumers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning putting Nintendo games on other hardware, that's going to be a hard sell. In some ways, the game itself is "tied to the hardware". yes, we do have emulators, and we do have Super Mario Run. But still, SMR was made for phones in mind. The weren't going to shoehorn a full console game into a mobile device/tablet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit of 70 wrote:
Same thing I always hope to see. Backwards compatibility. I think its time has gone, though. Perhaps foolishly so. I honestly believe it was one of the things that made the Playstation 2 the best selling console of all time.

I've heard rumors that Sony is focusing on backwards compatibility for their next console. Of course, we've heard that before. And who knows what "backwards compatibility" means for them. Apparently a few patents have been filed that suggest it'll be at least back to PS3. I'm not holding my breath, but I am hoping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
ghostpants wrote:
Spirit of 70 wrote:

I've heard rumors that Sony is focusing on backwards compatibility for their next console. Of course, we've heard that before. And who knows what "backwards compatibility" means for them. Apparently a few patents have been filed that suggest it'll be at least back to PS3. I'm not holding my breath, but I am hoping.

If they ended up pulling a move like that, It would make the PS5 the first consoles I will have ever bought day 1. I'll gladly join the fellowship of wishful console-ators, but initially, I'd bet against it. I remember what killed backwards compatibility on the PS3 was the math on how little they made per console versus how much they could make per game once the downloadable library they were building went live.

I'd love to see Sony cut a deal to have more cross platform play, specifically with Steam users. Being a console user gets lonely sometimes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.