Battleground 3: Waterloo
Heroes of the Lance
Blades of Vengeance
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
The discussion of backwards compatibility is taking place from only one perspective, the Playstation 4 owner looking to move to the next generation.

If the PS5 lacked backwards compatibility then at launch Sony would have somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-10 games to tempt me with.

If the PS5 was backwards compatible with the PS4 there would be hundreds of games for me to consider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The PS5 will assuredly have PS4 back compatibility. Whether it will have PS3 or PS 2 is the real question. And do people who own a PS5 really want to play PS3/2 games? But the PS5 will be back compatible will PS4 games. Otherwise the console tide will shift yet again (as it always does) and MS will absolutely hammer Sony in North America. Sony is keenly aware of this. I'd assume. But it is Sony. They can squander technology and mind share like no other company.

I've played a handful of XB360 games via backwards compatibility and a couple XB games. Not a bunch. Some. But it's cool to have available. Instead of keeping an XB360 kicking around (which I have) I can play through the Mass Effect series without switching consoles. I can play Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2. Heck, I can fire up Morrowind.
It's an odd thing. I find it comforting that I have the game available to me should the mood hit me to play them. And I don't have to fire up a different console. And If I have the disc I can just throw it in, download a quick patch, and start playing. Or buy an old game digitally for peanuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
The PS5 will assuredly have PS4 back compatibility. Whether it will have PS3 or PS 2 is the real question.

Ignorant question.

Why is Sony providing backwards compatibility with the PS5 a certainty? Nintendo provided no backwards compatibility with the Switch after several generations of doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Lurkfish wrote:
The PS5 will assuredly have PS4 back compatibility. Whether it will have PS3 or PS 2 is the real question.

Ignorant question.

Why is Sony providing backwards compatibility with the PS5 a certainty? Nintendo provided no backwards compatibility with the Switch after several generations of doing so.

I think it's an open secret that the processing architecture of the PS5 is going to be a progression from what it was in the PS4.

Backwards compatibility from PS3 to PS4 was essentially out of the question because of the PS3's Cell Processor, which was powerful but dramatically unlike anything else being used to run games. Including the Cell in all PS4s, on top of its own hardware, would have been a crippling production disadvantage.

The Switch is a portable/home-console hybrid, and uses solid state media rather than discs. I'm not a hardware expert but it is a fairly different machine, conceptually, than its immediate predecessors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
I would love to see Sony follow Nintendo's lead with some sort of hybrid home console/portable system.

Seems a bit unlikely to me, to be honest. Making a system portable means design compromises that are ultimately going to impose limitations on its power. It works well for Nintendo because nobody expects them to have the most powerful console anyway. But competing on power is what Sony and Microsoft are all about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:
And while this is definitely speculation, I'd hope that it would inspire devs to make better remasters because if they're not good and there's an easy enough way to play the original, they're going to lose out.

Bad remasters that are motivated by cash grabs is kind of inevitable, though. Case in point, though it's not a video game example, the HD remaster of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which is so sloppy in its execution that it's objectively worse than the DVD version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I have no way of knowing, but my intuition is that remasters are driven by access first. I want people to be able to play the games they want to play. But if they are going to pay for a past generation title, then they might as well be free of last-generation performance constraints.

Hmm… I don't know, actually. I think remasters are driven by "something new in the old", and not specifically by access first. I have no way of knowing for sure, of course, but I don't think a remaster of game X would sell specifically worse if there was a backwards compatibility to compete with it (of course, depending). My main reason for thinking so is that people who would play the pre-generation game are fans of the game only, and they will be interested in a remaster anyway. And a remaster will pick up the majority who don't care about the old generation, but who will gladly pick up a famous "re-release".

I think the best argument for non-backwards compatibility is that it prevents focusing on the new. Of course, if it's simple, like there is a similar architecture, and not a big cost issue, then it's all good. But normally, I'd prefer if the new machine focused on the new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
I would love to see Sony follow Nintendo's lead with some sort of hybrid home console/portable system.

Seems a bit unlikely to me, to be honest.

Oh it's more than a bit unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:
ghostpants wrote:

They will probably move the opposite direction, full smart home integration rather than portability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ooozan wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:
ghostpants wrote:

They will probably move the opposite direction, full smart home integration rather than portability.

Nope. They'll wait a gen and then that. Full integration is what MS was shooting for with the XB1 at launch and that worked out so well for MS. Sony isn't collectively bright (nor is MS) but they glean a bit from their competitor's missteps. Sony will ride their market dominance for a generation, espouse their PS TV to get some folks on board, and next generation they will launch the home entertainment dominance push. Granted it might make sense to them to make the push early (and Sony (nor MS) seem to have a lot of sense) against MUCH bigger fish with better properties (the Mouse) doing so in a game console seems to me (yah, me. Ignorant to corporate maneuvering) a losing proposition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
The widespread use of holograms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
The discussion of backwards compatibility is taking place from only one perspective, the Playstation 4 owner looking to move to the next generation.

If the PS5 lacked backwards compatibility then at launch Sony would have somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-10 games to tempt me with.

If the PS5 was backwards compatible with the PS4 there would be hundreds of games for me to consider.

Curious, if you already have a PS4, why not just hold on to that? Space issues? Too many connections? Too many power cables to plug in? Do folks typically sell their last gen consoles and to save on all of the previously mentioned woes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Curious, if you already have a PS4, why not just hold on to that? Space issues? Too many connections? Too many power cables to plug in? Do folks typically sell their last gen consoles and to save on all of the previously mentioned woes?

I never do. However, there was one console where the backwards compatibility was the tipping point: The Wii U. I've extensively used the backwards compatibility on that machine. The others, I haven't ever cared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently some "news" has broken today, with Sony talking officially about their intentions for PS5

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Oh. My. God.

Mark Cerny talking about SSDs and shorter load times? What timeline is this? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
This is also only slightly on topic, but I really wish other hardware developers would consider cartridges. Having the ability to make any console easily portable in the way the switch is would really be fun to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Apparently some "news" has broken today, with Sony talking officially about their intentions for PS5

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Oh. My. God.

Mark Cerny talking about SSDs and shorter load times? What timeline is this? surprise
Oh yeah, this is an exciting read - Given how much I've loved the PS4, the attention that is being put into this is downright pleasing (I'd love to see Subnautica on this). I don't know if one of Sony or Microsoft has an advantage over the other right now, but the 360 was the only microsoft console I ever owned and it's looking to stay that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:
This is also only slightly on topic, but I really wish other hardware developers would consider cartridges. Having the ability to make any console easily portable in the way the switch is would really be fun to see.

Making the next Xbox or Playstation portable would either require the same sacrifices Nintendo made in terms of switching to a mobile chipset or else creating a massively expensive machine. Assuming both continue on their current trajectories of using desktop grade chipsets, then making those portable would make them have all the same problems a high-end gaming laptop has (massively expensive, bulky, hot & noisy, as well as next to no battery life).

I think it's great that Nintendo have carved out a niche for the Switch, but I do not think it is the natural trajectory for consoles based on the current technologies and the expectations of consumers. I do not think there is a market for either the Xbox or Playstation to make their next flagship device a Switch competitor. I also think that is kind of a shame in a way, but it is what it is. Both Sony and Microsoft have built their current market on the basis of having better and better hardware. They would almost certainly cede massive ground to the remaining company that stayed in the TV-bound console space, and face a huge uphill battle trying to convince their new mobile focused market that they offered a meaningful alternative to Nintendo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.