Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: VGG QOTD 2019 April 9 - Do you have a favorite era of video games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a favorite era of video games? This can be a console generation, a decade, or however it is you view gaming over the years. What did you like about it? What are some notable games from that era?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite "era" of video games might be somewhat unique to me personally, as it overlaps with a couple different console generations. The mid 1990s to the early 2000s is my favorite gaming era. I'm sure part of that is brought on by nostalgia and my childhood, but something about gaming in those years felt really special in a variety of ways. Arcades were still very popular -- at least in the 90s -- and that's truly where I got my start with video games. Even the atmosphere of an arcade was special; seeing the bright lights and hearing the sound of victory, frustration, and a boatload of tickets coming out of a machine always made my eyes light up. Gaming at home in that era was still fresh and exciting. I primarily played the SNES and the original PlayStation so games like Super Mario All-Stars, Super Punch-Out!!, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy VIII all spring to mind as some favorites from back then.

In the early 2000s, I got introduced to PC gaming outside of browser games on Bonus.com (the super website for kids!). Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Call of Duty, and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon were all games that I got heavily into and played competitively online. It was a whole new world for me. I joined a clan and made some great friends in the process. I remember being on dial-up for a big portion of that time. When we got DSL, I was big time

Looking back, I think my love for that era can be summed up with "great games in a simpler time." So when I get nostalgic about gaming, that era is usually what I'm thinking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two answers for this, as two things strike me as significant in my gaming history.

The 16-bit era is the golden age of gaming in my book. Fittingly, I first really got into video gaming during that era, when I was about 10. Final Fantasy VI latched onto me and never let me go.

By the time I was 12 or so I had moved onto N64 and soon after, PS1, and a few years later bought a used Sega Saturn from a friend. This was significant, as I was a Nintendo loyalist up until that point, and the Saturn really opened my eyes as to the just how big the gaming world was.

In terms of gameplay, I think the 16-bit generation still resonates the most with me. The emergence of 3D gameplay as a focal point in the subsequent generation was inevitable and important and a good thing (usually), but I think 2D games emphasize the eloquence of game design and feel more like what video games really are to me. I remember reading a review a decade ago or so, I think from World of Stuart, about how so many games are essentially simulations. Racing games and FPS games and sports games, where the gameplay is essentially an attempt at simulating real life, or perhaps a fantastical version of life, but a simulation all the same. But video games need not simulate real life; they exist as their own form of entertainment independent of the world around us. I think the 16-bit generation best exemplified that idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm. I actually have to say that my favourite era of video games is probably right now – the games have rarely been better, really. Most genres are getting better, and if I want a blast of the past, well, there's retro-style games coming out too. (I guess that "I can emulate old games today" isn't a valid argument, but it's still possible).

However, I do have a favourite era when I could play as much as I liked – that was perhaps some ten years ago, or eight, maybe, when I could play a bit whenever. I earned better then, in a shorter amount of time consumed, so I could really relax and care little about life. These days, stuff is more hectic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krux wrote:
The 16-bit era is the golden age of gaming in my book.

There's something beautifully simplistic about that era. It was back when you put in a cartridge and just started playing. No tutorials, no crazy progression systems or extra fluff -- just start playing and figure it out.

krux wrote:
[...]but I think 2D games emphasize the eloquence of game design and feel more like what video games really are to me. I remember reading a review a decade ago or so, I think from World of Stuart, about how so many games are essentially simulations.

I can relate to that as well. I do sort of see modern video games as more of a simulation of real life than an outright "video game," at least when I compare them to what I grew up with. It's an interesting comparison, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Hm. I actually have to say that my favourite era of video games is probably right now – the games have rarely been better, really. Most genres are getting better, and if I want a blast of the past, well, there's retro-style games coming out too. (I guess that "I can emulate old games today" isn't a valid argument, but it's still possible).

I think it's hard to argue against the idea that this is the best time to be a gamer. There's more choice than ever when it comes to the kinds of games we can play.

Zimeon wrote:
However, I do have a favourite era when I could play as much as I liked – that was perhaps some ten years ago, or eight, maybe, when I could play a bit whenever. I earned better then, in a shorter amount of time consumed, so I could really relax and care little about life. These days, stuff is more hectic.

I know exactly what you mean. I miss those days, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a hard question to answer - especially hard if later eras are buoyed by past ones. I've been playing PSX games the last couple of weeks, and that richness, that ease of reaching back to pick up an old favorite or try something I just never got around to, enhances what it feels like to game in 2019.

But here is some further complication: I thought the PSX/N64 era sucked. It was actually disillusioning; my gaming fell off substantially. But like any era it produced some outstanding games, and I'm happy that many of them are readily accessible to me now.

There are things that I miss about the 16-bit era. For one thing, releases were highly polarized, with some games that felt like the real deal, and really were just astonishingly good, alongside a whole lot of trash, with not much in between. I don't miss trash games. I do miss the snug, comfortable feeling of knowing where gaming was 'happening.'

Since the PS3 era, with publishing fully corporatized, quality has been compressed. Major developers are much better at avoiding serious problems, and indeed they seem to be driven by an imperative "not to suck" rather than an imperative to reach for and explore excellence. A truly remarkable title is rare... I suspect even accounting for a more mature perspective that is harder to impress. But gaming experiences that are "solid" are radically more common than they were in the 1990s. Mobile gaming, and in turn, Steam, have brought back heaps of trash, but it's not too difficult to identify whole flows of junk games, rather than needing to research individual fly-by-night titles.

Eras have different priorities. I loved the effortless speed of the 16-bit era, where all load-times were basically 1-second. I hate (hate hate hate) that gamers are complacent about 30-60+ second load times. I hate even more that, because technological progress is an article of faith for lots of people, those same people don't realize that this current generation, right now, is producing measurably the worst load times ever, outside of cassette-based games.

But I don't miss that games were truly expensive in the 90s. Most SNES games retailed for $70 or $80, which today is nearly $130. But I do miss that the idea of spending real money in-game even 15 years ago would have been laughed out of the room. I kind of hate the way "cancer" has become internet slang, but 'monitization' is a cancer.

I don't think I have a favorite gaming era. But then, it definitely isn't the 8-bit era or earlier, definitely isn't the PSX era, definitely isn't the PS2 era, and definitely isn't the god-awful transition to HD that took place around 2005-2008. So I guess I look most favorably at gaming from about 1991-1996, and 2008-2019... although honestly I might cut that off at 2013.

It's not hard to find good and bad all along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

I think it's hard to argue against the idea that this is the best time to be a gamer. There's more choice than ever when it comes to the kinds of games we can play.

I don't need more choice; I'm a strategy gamer, and my tastes aren't that eclectic. But today's technology certainly makes video gaming better than ever; I'd never want to go back to twentieth-century gaming--though I do love some PC games from the end of that century (e.g., Master of Orion) and will still gladly play them. I can't help but admire the vast improvements in twenty-first-century games like Civilization IV and Age of Wonders III. Modern PC games are a joy to play, even though I never see the leading edge of it (because I don't play recent RPGs or action games).

Quote:
Zimeon wrote:

I know exactly what you mean. I miss those days, haha.

Well, the very best time in my life for gaming was probably my high-school years (1969-73). Video gaming had nothing to do with it, but I was an avid wargamer. And the joy and wonder I got from wargames was overwhelming; nothing else comes up to it.

As to video games, it was unimportant to me until 1988 or so. I didn't like the arcade scene much, and consoles didn't really exist in my world. But when PC gaming came along, I had to check that out. The mid to late 1990s were kind of a golden age of games like Civilization II, Panzer General, Red Baron (1990), Master of Magic, and Conquered Kingdoms. In terms of sound and graphics, they seemed primitive, but the game play was fantastic. I was in my forties and already felt too old for it, but I liked it anyway.

But these last three or four years--ever since I discovered GOG--have been the best ever, by far, for me. Video games are so cheap and accessible that I've been able to sample a wide variety of them and pick out the very best. I've learned a lot about what I like and dislike, and also about my strengths and weaknesses. As I said, I don't need all the variety, but it's still nice to be able to choose from a smorgasbord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always ups and downs. Now, gaming technology is great and there are so many great games around, but so much has been lost from the changing market, both in content and in gumption/verve, not to mention the shift to aggressive attention domination and monetization over entertainment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
The GameCube/Xbox/PS2 era. Online connectivity was in its infancy for consoles, so there was a great mix of huge online fanbases and honest to god couch co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
krux wrote:
The 16-bit era is the golden age of gaming in my book.

There's something beautifully simplistic about that era. It was back when you put in a cartridge and just started playing. No tutorials, no crazy progression systems or extra fluff -- just start playing and figure it out.

That would be my nostalgic answer; all the remakes of the SNES Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger games have all these load times between battles that the originals didn't have. SNES-era RPGs just worked, plug and play, and they were glorious.

My actual answer is probably the future, just because cooler and cooler things keep being invented. Graphical upgrades every generation are impressive, innovations like the Wii and now VR even more so, and I can only imagine what gaming might be like in a few decades if I'm still alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not grow up with an Atari, Nintendo or Sega systems. My experience with console gaming really began with the original PlayStation and I was in college by then. My baby brother did get a NES system and later a Sega Genesis system but I did not care for many of the games on those systems except Castlevania and Altered Beast.

I think my favorite era of games would have to been with the time I had with my Apple IIc. I played a lot of pirated games before I even knew what a pirated copy meant. It was here that I fell in love with crpgs such as the Ultima series, Wasteland, Might and Magic, Bard's Tale, and Wizardry. The first time I played in a fully colored (not just lines) 3D world blew my mind! I also enjoyed a lot of the text games which was an outgrowth of my love for choose your own adventure books. There was the Zork series but I remember enjoying the Marvel text games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wii era, but only because that's where I started. There were tons of amazing games on the Wii (Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Xenoblade Chronicles, Okami) and my Wii also played a few Gamecube/PS2 classics that I enjoyed very much (Sands of Time, Wind Waker).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb
My favorite was 2009-2014. Lot's of great games came out, most of which of course isn't even played today.

At those years I was already playing WoW and DOTA and both games had gotten a bit stale to me. Great alternatives came out: In 2009 League of Legends, 2011 SWTOR, in 2012 my favorite shooter BY FAR COD:BO2, 2014 saw ESO and Wildstar. It was a great time for both MMORPGs, FPS (subjectively) and with DOTA2 coming out for MOBAs.

To this day I still love SWTORs leveling and still want to play the game (I would if I had Windows). I've heard Wildstar shut down its servers which is a shame because that game had one of the best fighting mechanics I've seen. The difficulty level in both leveling and dungeons were extremely fine tuned and made the entire experience very enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, I have a favorite era - back when Adventure Game companies could turn a profit. Back in the era of King's Quest and the early Myst games. So, my favorite era spans the 80s and 90s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
....I guess I don't.
Perhaps the early 2000s as I feel like thats when there was the peak of 1-upmanship going on in game development and tech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

If the intention is to play a particular game, then yes, now is most definitely the best era. You can emulate games or find old consoles to play old games. Even better, if the game is really simple, you can get away by coding it yourself and then playing.

All that aside, what really attracts me personally to a game other than the obvious (gameplay) is the community that plays it. In our day and age, especially single player games don't have much going for them in that regard. As soon as the hype dies out the community dies with it. This wasn't the case back in the day though. The interaction with the community is what makes a particular era possibly better than today.

Let me give a simple example. I loved Black Ops 2. If I were to play it today, it's a dead game, I wouldn't have the same experience as I did before. So those days where the game was 'hyped' if you will, is something I would call a better era for that particular game. Add a bunch of games from a particular time period together where this holds for you, voila, you have your favorite era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked the DOS games from 1990-1994. They were challenging, but not frustratingly difficult like a lot of Nintendo Switch games (although I am pleased that Nintendo Switch does have some easier and family-friendly games in genres I like, especially as of 2018). I was happy to hear that a DOS game port is now available on Nintendo Switch, even though it wasn't one of my favorites: Commander Keen in Keen Dreams. Hopefully that means a lot more DOS (and maybe Mac) games will be ported to Nintendo Switch.

I also like the GBA games for the same reasons I like DOS games.

Apparently I also like NES games, even though I first played them on the Wii (Kirby's Adventure), the GBA (Ice Climber), and the Switch (Dr. Mario).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a tough one, but I would go with the Playstation/N64 era. For me some of my favorite games of all time emerged here and something about the low-poly look of most games from this time is just pleasant to look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
ooozan wrote:
What really attracts me personally to a game other than the obvious (gameplay) is the community that plays it. In our day and age, especially single player games don't have much going for them in that regard. As soon as the hype dies out the community dies with it. This wasn't the case back in the day though. The interaction with the community is what makes a particular era possibly better than today.

Let me give a simple example. I loved Black Ops 2. If I were to play it today, it's a dead game, I wouldn't have the same experience as I did before. So those days where the game was 'hyped' if you will, is something I would call a better era for that particular game. Add a bunch of games from a particular time period together where this holds for you, voila, you have your favorite era.

Excellent point! My only connection with the community in the late 1980s and early 1990s was in the form of computer-gaming magazines. I didn't personally know anyone else who played the games I played, but I loved checking out Computer Gaming World's hall of fame and reading articles about great games and upcoming games. That made me feel connected to everybody else in the hobby.

Another thing about that particular era was that there weren't that many PC games around, and no one knew where technology or gaming was headed. So when a game like Master of Magic came out, it felt like it could be a potential lifetime game. Nothing quite like it had ever been seen before, and it looked like a masterpiece that might never be duplicated or surpassed. Some still feel that way about MoM, but today there are at least half a dozen games of that kind that are arguably better and are certainly prettier.

Hype makes a bigger impact when a game is brand-new and unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
I think for me it would be the later part of the PS2 era. There was a point after the console had been out where suddenly there were amazing games coming from publishers I had never seen before coming out with all these bizarre games that still had all the polish of a current gen release. Some of my favorite series and publishers all seemed to make it to my screen during that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll vote for circa 2008 to 2018.

I loved a lot of games from the '90s, but the thing is, I still have them or I can acquire them as digital downloads, so I can add a lot of fond memories to my modern collection.

For me, this is roughly the time that I got back into gaming after being alienated from it and the never ending pile of FPS games that seemed like the only things that came out.

First, I ran into HER and the Nancy Drew series. Then I finally bit the bullet and jumped into Dragon Age, which lead me to all of the other great BioWare Games. I discovered Wadjet Eye through Emerald City Confidential on Amazon. Then I finally decided to accept having a digital library and joined Steam, which has brought me access to a lot of wonderful and diverse games.

And the era seems to be ending with the creation of the Epic Store, which I know everyone had high hopes for, but it seems determined to smother PC gaming to death.

Though maybe the era ends earlier than that with the gamergate mess. Nothing quite like getting back to a hobby I've been in since I was a 10 year old kid and being told I'm not a real gamer because I'm a girl.

Ah, well, it's too easy to stray off into political territory with modern gaming. But picking now gets me the maximum number of games, so I still pick now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it will pretty much be whatever era people got into the hobby for most of us.

For me that's the early to mid 00s. Most of the games I keep coming back to and wishing that there were more games like those came out between 1999 and 2004.

When I take the nostalgia glasses off, I'm pretty sure that we're living in the best era for video games in terms of creativity. Unfortunately, we're also in a pretty dystopian version of that era, with the other side of the coin being some of the most cynical, manipulative tactics employed by mainstream publishers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it was the DOS days. So many epic games like the Doom series, Wing Commander, Privateer, Strike Commander, all the Lucasarts adventures, Ultima 7, Dungeon Keeper, Populous and to top all that I even had the time to play all those.

Now while there are great games out there I lack the time to invest too much and learn them so I have to stick to easier more casual games and have no chance to play competitive games. So there isn't as much joy to be had as back then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Phil, though I think I go a little further back. I really miss SSI and their entire catalogue (Not just the 'Gold Box' D&D games). I really wish GOG or someone would rerelease them (though my back catalogue is plenty big enough already).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.