United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit of 70 wrote:
I have to agree with Phil, though I think I go a little further back. I really miss SSI and their entire catalogue (Not just the 'Gold Box' D&D games). I really wish GOG or someone would rerelease them (though my back catalogue is plenty big enough already).

You prompted me to go look at a list of SSI games. Wow--there were quite a few! And yeah, some of my old favorites are in there.

GOG has, of course, rereleased some of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the DOS days were really exceptional. That might’ve been my favourite time (transitioning from NES/SNEE to DOS, and having the best of both worlds was great). But honestly, I don’t think it gets better than it is right now. There’s all sorts of old stuff available and tons of variety through Steam and GOG. It’s kind of amazing how many games there are and how cheap they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 that stand out, and another I'd like to chime in on. If this thread limits us to 1 (as in "era" truly singular), then my first pick would be starting from the top:

1) 16-bit era
SNES and Genesis rivalry was fun. Playing Neo Geo games at arcades too! Huge platformer fan, and even to this day, I still enjoyed 2D.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan, so I was happy to have gotten onto that platform. Plus, my previous console was a Famicom, which meant that my dad could only get games if he had a business trip in certain parts of Asia.

2) Palm OS vs. Windows Mobile era+ circa 2000 to 2010
+not to be confused with Windows Phone, which went defunct a few mere years ago

So long before Android vs. iOS, when Crackberry/Blackberry OS was still around, and when smartphones take over the world like multiple outbreaks in a game of Pandemic, this was "my era".

Don't get me wrong, I still play a bit of mobile games TODAY. However, before people were geeking out on their smartphones, I was geeking out on various Palm OS hardware, including its games. Some got created early enough that the were only in 2-bit and 4-bit grayscale (so that's 4 and 16 shades of gray respectively). Screen resolutions were 160x160 pixels. 320 squared, and later on, 320x480 were considered "HD". A 512MB SD card costed $144 USD! (which would've been $200 if purchased at a store vs. online. Parents weren't happy that this "accessory" costs about as much as the handheld itself wow )

The games were costly too... $5 to $10 was NOT unusual (although you'd Hell, my first 2 games; a Frogger and Galaxia clone, costed $20 each. correct to suspect that this was deemed by many to be too expensive). One person even commented how a certain Palm OS costs $10. A GBA game costs $20, and included a close representation of that Palm OS game within it! The value was skewed differently back then. Even though some ESD sites took a 65% cut (NOT a typo... they get the majority!), there was a lot of innovation these days.

I even had a working NES emu on my Palm Tungsten T3!

Zimeon wrote:
Hm. I actually have to say that my favourite era of video games is probably right now – the games have rarely been better, really. Most genres are getting better, and if I want a blast of the past, well, there's retro-style games coming out too. (I guess that "I can emulate old games today" isn't a valid argument, but it's still possible).

However, I do have a favourite era when I could play as much as I liked – that was perhaps some ten years ago, or eight, maybe, when I could play a bit whenever. I earned better then, in a shorter amount of time consumed, so I could really relax and care little about life. These days, stuff is more hectic.
Some were citing doom and apocalypse of being nickel & dimed to death by MTX and really nasty IAP. I'm glad to see that even though they still exist, there are PLENTY of sane alternatives left. Especially on the indie scene, Steam, and even Switch. In fact, I've known one person who hasn't been on Steam for a while since many of the games there, he just gets on Switch.

And it's still a better value than from the 8-bit to 32-bit era. Back then, games cost $50 to $60 a pop*. You can still get very good levels of quality and quantity of games at a fraction of the price

* I tried to do a thread on that, but fair warning, it ended up being DOA. I worded it poorly, or implied something I didn't mean to?...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2162436/why-diddo-peopl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
Spirit of 70 wrote:
I have to agree with Phil, though I think I go a little further back. I really miss SSI and their entire catalogue (Not just the 'Gold Box' D&D games). I really wish GOG or someone would rerelease them (though my back catalogue is plenty big enough already).

And it wasn't that long ago - at least it doesn't feel like it - at the end of the DOS/Win95 era when you could buy $10 sets of SSI's best (and no so best) stuff on maybe four CD's. Plus, I was madly addicted to their entire Steel Panthers series (though Panzer General, not so much).

My favorite era? Atari 2600 to Commodore 64. That was my golden age. When kids were talking about Metroid I was playing L.A. Crackdown. I skipped 8 bit altogether and didn't play consoles again until I got a second-hand Genesis halfway through college.

And touching back on SSI, here's a big second from me wishing that GOG would reissue SSI's offerings from their heyday, and definitely not just D&D Gold Box. Picture what a couple of talented indie coders could do making a simple modern version of Roadwar 2000!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I like the original Intellevision era of games. Followed closely by Sega CD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.