Gish
Battleground 3: Waterloo
Heroes of the Lance
Blades of Vengeance
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Today's question was suggested by Simon. Thank you for your contribution!

Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb

Do you like to use DLC items when you play a game (e.g., more powerful weapons and/or armour) that look cooler and have better stats than the basic stuff you often get at the start of a game? Or do you prefer to play plain vanilla and work your way up?

Here are Simon's thoughts on the question:

manukajoe wrote:
I find these DLC items often upset the balance a little and break the sense of progression in the early game. But it's hard to say no the them. I'm finding that at the moment with Dragon Age Inquisition Game of the Year Edition, where my party is kitted out mostly with DLC gear at level 5. Although I know it'll become obsolete before too long.

If you have a question you'd like to submit for the QOTD, please feel free to send me a GeekMail or use the suggestion thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll almost always stick with the normal/basic starting stuff for the first play through, unless there's some major issue with them that had to be fixed to make it playable (can't think of any specific examples of this, though).

DLC and mods and such (including cheat codes) will get used for repeat plays, or at least in a separate save file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I occasionally take advantage of those DLC items, though I'm often motivated more by the aesthetics of them than any sort of utility or advantage they offer. I rarely buy DLC, so in these cases, it's probably something that came with a GOTY or "Day One" edition of the game. That said, it typically has to be something really cool for me to even bother with it. I'm often too lazy to go enter the code in the PlayStation store,

Most recently, I think I got some sort of bonus for picking up a Day One edition of Red Dead Redemption II, but I never used it. I've probably missed out on some cool stuff by ignoring a lot of that stuff. Now that Simon has asked the question, perhaps I'll pay more attention to the DLC items that come with the games I buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanilla the first time through, OP DLC gear the second time, mostly to take revenge on obnoxious bosses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
That kind of DLC is new to me. In the strategy games I play, DLC is typically a game upgrade/expansion that (to me and most players) is indispensable. So, if I'm playing Civilization IV, of course it's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword. And if I'm playing Age of Wonders III, of course it's with everything including the latest expansion, Age of Wonders III: Eternal Lords.

An exception, so far, for me is Darkest Dungeon. I haven't bought either of the DLC packages for it, as the vanilla game is plenty challenging and interesting for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
That kind of DLC is new to me. In the strategy games I play, DLC is typically a game upgrade/expansion that (to me and most players) is indispensable. So, if I'm playing Civilization IV, of course it's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword. And if I'm playing Age of Wonders III, of course it's with everything including the latest expansion, Age of Wonders III: Eternal Lords.

An exception, so far, for me is Darkest Dungeon. I haven't bought either of the DLC packages for it, as the vanilla game is plenty challenging and interesting for me.
Yes it's usually third-person RPGs made by Bioware that does this, quite a niche genre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb
VanillaCokeMule wrote:
Vanilla the first time through, OP DLC gear the second time, mostly to take revenge on obnoxious bosses.

Good motivation!

ghostpants wrote:
I occasionally take advantage of those DLC items, though I'm often motivated more by the aesthetics of them than any sort of utility or advantage they offer.

I don't know many games that I play that have this. I do occasionally play the Sims 3 since that's what my girlfriend mostly wants to play, and there I care more about the aesthetics rather than the stats of the item. So I'm gonna go with Gabe here on this.

In multiplayer games you always go with the best gear possible. There is no point in playing vanilla when everyone is running around one-shotting you to death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VanillaCokeMule wrote:

This. Though I don't do it out of revenge so much as to even out upping the difficulty level from normal or hard to hard or nightmare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gets more and more blurred every year.

I tend to use whatever comes with the game. But I frequently buy "complete" or "GotY" editions that were compiled a year or more after the original release, and include all of the DLC content. I don't bother trying to sort out what was originally an add-on. I was 20 hours into the Royal Edition of Final Fantasy XV before I realized that it had removed all sorts of nuisances from the original release, often using gear as the means to do so.

Honestly, I don't think the developers always have a clear idea, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
The measure is totally arbitrary, but I will wait until I "earn" DLC gear before letting myself equip it. If it has no stat boosts, fine, It is part of the starting kit. But if there is any bonus, I try to wait until it seems to fit in with the other stuff the game is giving me.

If it is purely cosmetic, I typically wait until the game gives me that "go on, buddy, have some fun" nod indicating it's side quest time and I don't have to worry about my character being dressed up like a superhero in what should be an emotional cutscene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally dislike the presence of DLC gear and try to avoid using things when they affect the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I try out DLC items if they come with the game, but usually not on my first playthrough. For example, I played through Resident Evil 2 remake with the regular original outfit, then started playing it more with some of the DLC/bonus costumes.

I rarely buy cosmetic DLC. If I ever do, it's moreso because I want to support the company and the game, so they'll make more games in the series. For example, I've bought every Disgaea DLC item they've ever released, no matter how goofy it is. Usually they aren't cosmetic things for Disgaea, but additional characters or items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will wear a DLC costume if I like it, but starting out with an overpowered weapon or armor seems like it would make the game less fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The preorder DLC stuff that you can get at the start mostly seems like a punishment for people who didn't preorder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Cell phones.
badge
What do prisoners use to call each other?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a vanilla guy. I will download DLC to add content and to improve graphics. Bit I cannot recall ever downloading DLC just for the extra loot or equipment. I prefer to work my way up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I like DLC because it usually enhances game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't buy DLC, but if it's something that came packaged with the game, I may or may not use it (I don't remember any games I got where this was the case).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.