Lure of the Temptress
Dragonsphere
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: Imperial Pursuit
Star Wars: X-Wing Tour of Duty: B-Wing
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Tropico Reloaded
Hillsfar
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (1992)
Baroque
Portal 2
007: Nightfire
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb

Apple site

"Apple’s Videogame Strategy Isn’t Exciting Wall Street"
-Barrons

Apple Arcade Games Reportedly Permitted on Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo Switch After Brief Exclusivity
-MacRumors

Apple introduces Apple Arcade — the world’s first game subscription service for mobile, desktop and the living room
-Apple.com Newsroom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in how this'll turn out. Not so much interested in doing it. This appears to Apple's way to get "Nintendo level" curation, but still on their platform.

One major obstacle for me is I'm still running old hardware... an Ipod Touch 5 that can only go to ios9.3.5, and an Ipad Air that'll probably reach the end of the line with ios12 (currently the latest). If I'm going to shell out $400 to $800 for some gaming experience, dollars to donuts, I'm buying a Switch first, along with a bunch of games + accessories to boot.

Other than that, I'd want to see what the actual game line up when it gets released/close to it, and what the price is.

EDIT: rearranged paragraph layout to make more sense
Other stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mbmbmb
Looks boring to be honest, Stadia got me excited but this is just a subscription based version of the appstore. thumbsdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
The excitement I've had in the past decade for touchscreen gaming has been the exception, not the norm. I see little about this subscription service that looks to change that.

That negativity aside, it does seem like a push to separate mobile gaming from its reputation of microtransactions, which I would like more developers to do. Apple is forcing their hand with this initiative, which is interesting. I do have an issue with gaming platforms that eschew buttons, but I'm convinced that mobile phone gaming could have many better games if it wasn't so stuck in its current model of nickel and diming gamers through gachas and vanity items and timed lockout mechanics. Some console and PC ports excelled fantastically in a touch screen format, but the amount of original games to fair so well I found so far and few that my generations of iPads have been garnering dust as a gaming device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some pros and cons I can think up of for now:
PROS:
+gorgeous graphics on some of the games
+some big names behind them (e.g. person who was on Final Fantasy Games, from Cartoon Network who ended up making other games)
+No IAP
+no ads
+playable offline (so no issues on bandwidth after downloading them)
+one monthly fee for access to all the games
I've had a lot of fun with some freemium games, but I was forced to quit a couple of them

+multi-platform on Apple
+Multiplatform beyond Apple (but after a few months of exclusivity

+touch input and accelerometer can still be viable
I've played MANY great games without physical buttons. For some that came from physical controls, there are workarounds. For everything else, just don't try to shoehorn a full console/PC/handheld game into mobile. There should be plenty of these titles for quantity and variety.
+Apple's throwing half a billion $'s into helping devs get set up

+no AAA. All indie thus far
They're already making plenty of $$ off their freemium IAP. Also, good riddance too.
+more of "gamer games"
Not some "one-off", flappy bird, candy crush, twitch variety. These games seem to resemble actual, full length games, or at least at the handheld caliber.

CONS:
-no Android
They seem to be losing a bit of market share, although I will acknowledge that cross platform on mobile more difficult, even with tools like Unity
-no price set yet
Sounds great if they can keep it at $5/mo, or $10/mo. However, $15 to $30/mo, and you start to lose quite the crowd of consumers (regardless of how good the games actually are, and their "actual value"

-lack of physical controls still a bit limiting
They could introduce APIs for add-on controllers, but this'll mean the market starts off fragmented

-no hardware/iOS requirements
You may need to get a $800+ iPhone/iPad just to play this. I don't know if even say, a $500 iPhone will cut it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anybody else notice that character who looks like Breath of the Wild Link?

I am a PC/Android and Nintendo person, so I'm not getting this. That turtle game looked interesting, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.