Subject: Half of the Genesis Mini Games are now Revealed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
We now know 20/40 games that will be on the Mini Genesis.

These titles revealed earlier today:

Earthworm Jim
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Contra: Hard Corps
Streets of Rage 2
Thunder Force 3
Super Fantasy Zone
Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master
Landstalker

This is in addition to these previously released titles.

Sonic the Hedgehog
Ecco the Dolphin
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Space Harrier 2
Shining Force
Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
ToeJam & Earl
Comix Zone
Altered Beast
Gunstar Heroes

The Sega Genesis Mini will be released Sept. 19 and will cost $79.99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
We now know 20/40 games that will be on the Mini Genesis.

These titles revealed earlier today:

Earthworm Jim
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Streets of Rage 2
Thunder Force 3
Super Fantasy Zone
Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master
Landstalker

This is in addition to these previously released titles.

Sonic the Hedgehog
Ecco the Dolphin
Space Harrier 2
Shining Force
Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
ToeJam & Earl
Comix Zone
Altered Beast
Gunstar Heroes
Didn't even know the Genesis-Mini was going to be a thing! Then again, I wasn't THAT excited about the S/NES Classics either. I only knew of them b/c my gaming group brought them up.

Having been a Nintendo person, I've at least played 6 of these, and heard of 6 more of them, so not too shabby I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't a Genesis kid, but I was in a funk band for a bit in school. We sometimes wrote songs. One such song was essentially a jam song based on a ToeJam and Earl song. We called it Big Earl Bump.

That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see what modern gamers think of the isometric platforming in Landstalker. It's a fun game, but the platforming is harder than it has any right to be because of the skewed angle.

Castle of Illusion is probably my favorite Disney game. It's charming and has really good gameplay. Streets of Rage 2 has probably the best soundtrack on the Genesis that really takes advantage of the FM chip.

In the next 20, I'm sure Shining Force II and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 + Sonic & Knuckles have to be in there. Phantasy Star II and IV are also sorely missing. Might also be nice to get some sports games, like the classic NHL '94. And I really hope for one of my favorites, Rocket Knight Adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, it's a perfectly fine list of Genesis games, but it's basically the same thing that's been released over, and over, and over again for a variety of platforms over the last 15 years.

I had a PS2 release of nearly 30 Genesis games years ago that I bought and sold for about the same price (~$10-15), and currently have a collection of almost 50 genesis and master system games on the PS3, also obtained for less than $20. There is a PS4 release of over 50 games that you can purchase new for $25 and less if there is a sale. All of these bundles have been available on non-Sony platforms.

I thought the SNES mini was cool, but there was simply no convenient way to purchase those games for a device designed to output them to an HD display.

I can see how the Genesis Mini might be a fun collector's item for hardcore Sega fans, but I'm struggling to imagine the gamer who both:

1. Likes these games enough to want to own them in a contemporary bundle
2. Doesn't own a single one of the platforms they have been abundantly and cheaply available on for many years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth and to further itterrate the point, I still have two Genesis, I have a Genesis Collection on my PS2, and I have quite a few Genesis games on Steam (with more available).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anything, Sega would be the company to finally buck the trend of these all-in-ones and release a mini console with internet access and a shop for all of the games, Virtual Console style. Nintendo and Sony have reasons not to, but Sega doesn't make consoles anymore. It'd be perfect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krux wrote:
If anything, Sega would be the company to finally buck the trend of these all-in-ones and release a mini console with internet access and a shop for all of the games, Virtual Console style. Nintendo and Sony have reasons not to, but Sega doesn't make consoles anymore. It'd be perfect!

Cat's already out of the bag.

They could do that, but only if individual games were about $1. Sega has made these games cheaply and ubiquitously available in bundles on every non-Nintendo platform.

And on Nintendo's Virtual Console, they released 16 Master System games and 73 Genesis games at higher individual prices, which as far as I know are all still there. If they want their own VC now, they have ensured maximum competition against themselves that there is no way to undo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I can see how the Genesis Mini might be a fun collector's item for hardcore Sega fans, but I'm struggling to imagine the gamer who both:

2. Doesn't own a single one of the platforms they have been abundantly and cheaply available on for many years.

I think a lot of it is the novelty of (sort of) playing the games on the original system, or at least with the original controller. But those that like that aspect probably fall into the hardcore fans you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few counterpoints to that.

One, they're making a Genesis Mini. If they find value in doing that, surely there'd be value in making an even better Genesis Mini.

Two, Nintendo also released their own games on Virtual Console, and they made two classic systems. I don't know exactly what the redundancy is, but I know there's plenty. Also, while I'm not sure of the offerings of VC on Switch, Wii VC is closed.

Three, Genesis has a library of nearly 900 games. There's value in a lot of those if they can secure licensing deals to release them once more, especially with a variable pricing scheme that an online shop affords.

I agree, Sega has released their games before, but so has everyone else that made a mini console. I think an affordable mini console with access to a huge amount of content, instead of the usual 20-40 never changing games, would be appealing to a lot of people, especially if it has the form factor of the system they knew and loved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I mean, it's a perfectly fine list of Genesis games, but it's basically the same thing that's been released over, and over, and over again for a variety of platforms over the last 15 years.

I had a PS2 release of nearly 30 Genesis games years ago that I bought and sold for about the same price (~$10-15), and currently have a collection of almost 50 genesis and master system games on the PS3, also obtained for less than $20. There is a PS4 release of over 50 games that you can purchase new for $25 and less if there is a sale. All of these bundles have been available on non-Sony platforms.

I thought the SNES mini was cool, but there was simply no convenient way to purchase those games for a device designed to output them to an HD display.

Didn't know these were also released on PS2 and Steam.

I was aware some Sega titles came out on iOS (and probably Android too), but AFAIK, they're "remixes". Not ports of any original Gen games?

I can see people who haven't bothered with any of PS2 nor Steam to consider getting this. Just hook it up to a TV, and get playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krux wrote:
If they find value in doing that, surely there'd be value in making an even better Genesis Mini.

Counter counterpoint: Sony found value in making a mini PlayStation. Last I looked into it price was around half MSRP and they were cluttered on store shelves unmoving.

And the mini SNES had Earthbound which is difficult to obtain and Starfox 2 which as far as I know was only available on SNES mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Didn't know these were also released on PS2 and Steam.

There have been Genesis collections for almost every platform after Sega abandoned console manufacturing. It's crazy how quickly the transition took place. The Dreamcast was released (outside of Japan) in late 1999. There were Genesis collections available for the Playstation 2, Gamecube, and Xbox by 2002. There were expanded collections for PS3 and 360, and even more games in total on the Wii. There are even-more-expanded collections on PS4 and XBONE.

Quote:
I was aware some Sega titles came out on iOS (and probably Android too), but AFAIK, they're "remixes". Not ports of any original Gen games?

Does anything specific come to mind? All of these are ports, for instance:

https://forever.sega.com/games

They have save-states and the controls have to be mapped in some way to the touch screen, and if you want to play for free, advertisements are superimposed at various points in the game. But the games themselves have not been altered.

Basically: if you have purchased gaming hardware of any kind in the last 20 years, the odds are good you can play dozens of Genesis games on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised to see Disney games on there. Are there any other minis that have Disney games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TCG Kirby wrote:
I'm surprised to see Disney games on there. Are there any other minis that have Disney games?

It was developed and published by Sega, so it would be difficult to guess what the contract with Disney looked like in 1990. Videogames would not have been taken nearly as seriously, and the idea that there was a long-term stake for Disney in an individual game may have seemed ridiculous.

But who knows? It's all speculation. Castle of Illusion was completely remade in 2013, so rights related to the 1990 title may have come up for discussion as part of that collaboration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is looking really good, something like 42 games and many that havent been released in the Sonic Collections. Theres a few I have never heard of that look really good. Wish X-Men II was on there though.
From the line up, if you dont have the SOnic Collection this is the best mini yet IMHO.

Added the games

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (region exclusive)
Altered Beast (region exclusive)
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (region exclusive, sort of - it's essentially a reskinned Puyo Puyo)
Earthworm Jim (region exclusive)
Ecco the Dolphin (region exclusive)
Eternal Champions (region exclusive)
Kid Chameleon (region exclusive)
Light Crusader (region exclusive)
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (region exclusive)
Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball (region exclusive)
ToeJam & Earl (region exclusive)
Vectorman (region exclusive)
Virtua Fighter 2 (region exclusive)
Alisia Dragoon
Beyond Oasis (The Story of Thor: A Successor of the Light)
Comix Zone
Columns
Darius - brand new port!
Dynamite Headdy
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Landstalker
Mega Man: The Wily Wars
Monster World IV
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Road Rash II
Shining Force
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Space Harrier II
Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition
Streets of Rage 2
Strider
Super Fantasy Zone
Tetris - ridiculously rare version!
Thunder Force III
Wonder Boy in Monster World

I had never heard of Alisia Dragoon or Light Crusader, both look excellent though. Monster WOrld IV looks really good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.