Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
Hey all! I was wondering if anyone else is looking forward to the release of the Classic WoW servers this summer? Maybe we can all join in on the same server and faction to group up.

I personally started WoW back in WotLK so it's a great chance for me to experience the vanilla game. Hopefully I'll be able to play all the way to the WotLK expansion and continue for some good old nostalgia.

So far the plan is to play on the Horde side as either an Orc Shaman or Undead Priest. Nothing is set in stone though so don't quote me on this. I have a friend who also plans on playing as a Warrior tank so we will be duo-leveling. I've heard and read that the classic game is quite grind-heavy which I actually am looking forward to. I have always enjoyed grinding for levels or items so it's right up my alley.

So the game will launch with the 1.12 patch. There will be no battlegrounds on release. I love PvP so this was quite a bummer to me but it will give me some time to enjoy the PvE aspect of the game. Still trying to look at the glass half full. The first phases of WoW Classic looks like this for PvP:

Quote:
Phase 1 (WoW Classic Launch)
You can PvP one another in the world, but there is no tracking, and no formal rewards for doing so.

Phase 2
Honor System (including Dishonorable Kills)
PvP Rank Rewards

Phase 3
Alterac Valley (version 1.12 869)
Warsong Gulch

Phase 4
Arathi Basin

What are your thoughts on WoW Classic? Will you be playing as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
ooozan wrote:
What are your thoughts on WoW Classic? Will you be playing as well?

I'll admit that it's a pretty cool idea. I played WoW when it was first released, and stopped shortly after the Burning Crusade. I thought about getting back into it a couple times over the years, but never did because I felt I would never be able to "catch up" to all the things I had missed during my absence, coupled with having less time to play. A MMO just became too much of a commitment for me, especially as I was really just a casual player in the first place.

All that said, if there was ever a time that I would jump back into WoW, this is when I would do it. When it was first released, WoW was something so unlike anything I had ever played, and it will forever be one of my favorite gaming memories, period. Now that I'm a parent, I know I don't really have the time to get into it, and in a way, I don't think I want to anyways because I'm sure playing the game so many years later would only spoil the fond memories I have of the game. Nostalgia factor is significant, and I don't think jumping back into Azeroth could ever bring back the same experience from 10+ years ago.

I'll still keep an eye on this thread, and make a humble request...PLEASE POST SCREENSHOTS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb

Quote:
Hey folks! I’ve got a small update here to help quell some of the rumors and let you know where we are at for WoW Classic. We recently began a phase of internal employee alpha testing. The new build data that many of you have been discussing over the last few days is simply part of this process.

Alpha began. This to me means they will most likely be ready for the end of summer, if the Beta runs a few months of course. I'll be sure to post some images here.

IceFire1424 wrote:
Now that I'm a parent, I know I don't really have the time to get into it, and in a way, I don't think I want to anyways because I'm sure playing the game so many years later would only spoil the fond memories I have of the game. Nostalgia factor is significant, and I don't think jumping back into Azeroth could ever bring back the same experience from 10+ years ago.

This does make a lot of sense and yes I don't think it will be the same. People feel and want it to be but one of the greatest assets of WoW back in the day was the lack of other quality MMO experiences. We've all experience far more smooth better gameplay since then, either by playing the expansions or different MMORPGs.

I want to play super casually as well. I don't plan on raiding within the first week or maybe even ever. I just want to chill, have fun, see what Azeroth was and felt like back when the game first came out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
ooozan wrote:
I want to play super casually as well. I don't plan on raiding within the first week or maybe even ever. I just want to chill, have fun, see what Azeroth was and felt like back when the game first came out.

That's exactly how I played back in the day. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever actually completed a single raid during my entire time playing WoW. Maybe one - I remember going into Gnomeria (however it was spelled) waaaaaaaaaaay back, but I don't even remember beating it. It was just about exploring for me - spending time in the Night Elf starting zone, then leaving for the Dark Coast, eventually pushing myself further inland, coming across all the different zones. I remember being in awe when I got to Stormwind and the other large cities, and how it felt when I saw the first Horde character in the game.

It was really cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried out WoW a couple of times, but never got very far. Not because I didn't enjoy the game or atmosphere, but because all the people I knew that played were light years ahead of me in level, and I didn't want to bring them down or mess up their experience. But I would definitely be interested in trying it out again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
I like the idea of it, but I am not excited about going back to the glacial pace of classic WoW after experience the fast and exciting leveling of Cataclysm. Not to mention world flying and how easy it is to get a mount. I think at one time the struggle for things like, say, the warlock mount, once might have been exciting, but I just don't think I can be bothered.

No matter how cool it would be to do the Insect Raid at level.

I'll say this though - sometimes I do like a game where the quests don't point you directly to the conclusion and instead tell you a little story and it's up to you to search it out. Some of that was fun in classic days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmb
Getting my Warlock Mount was the last thing I did in WoW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ehhhhhhhh, my Night Elf had a white tiger. That was about it. LoL.

...granted, I think I only ever got one character to level 63. It seemed like compared to everyone else playing that game at the time, I was a total newb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
USP45 wrote:

I've heard back in Vanilla this was a challenge in itself. Especially the second tier mounts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmbmb
It was satisfying because back then our guild were all mostly co-workers at the same company. Banding together for team enhancing activities like this really had an extra tier of feel-good-ness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
ooozan wrote:
USP45 wrote:

I've heard back in Vanilla this was a challenge in itself. Especially the second tier mounts.

Man...I don't remember the details, but I recall it took me forever to get my Hunter mount. Plus, I couldn't even hit level 60 until after the Burning Crusade was released. I remember talking to people saying they had multiple level 60 characters, thinking to myself "how in the hell did you have time to get MULTIPLE characters to 60?" That seemed unreal to me at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. After seeing this thread pop up I went over to Youtube and started playing the Vanilla WoW soundtrack in the background while I'm working, and am now having all sorts of flashbacks.

When that Ironforge theme hit...whoa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
IceFire1424 wrote:
Thanks all. After seeing this thread pop up I went over to Youtube and started playing the Vanilla WoW soundtrack in the background while I'm working, and am now having all sorts of flashbacks.

When that Ironforge theme hit...whoa.

Careful with that, you might get sucked in again if you aren't careful. devil Next thing you know you'll be watching videos like WoW Classic this and that Class Guide, What We Know About Classic WoW. All with the same information, absolutely useless yet still it pulls you in. It pulls you in....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Here we go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.