United States
ASHLAND
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which chocolate is the best?

Milk, Dark or White?

Recent Easter candy acquisition has my family debating the merits of various chocolate types. I want to know what my fellow geeks think.

I am partial to dark or white chocolate myself (though I keep being told that white chocolate is not actually chocolate), my husband and kids prefer milk chocolate. They also like crispy rice, peanuts or malt in their chocolate. I prefer caramel, strawberries, or shortbread if I am going to put something in my chocolate. And though I like chocolate and hot chocolate, I don't particularly care for chocolate ice cream or pudding. I like my chocolate warm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Americans would call what I like dark. I prefer between 70- 80% cocoa.

I don't care for American mass produced chocolate. The cocoa content is so low that pretty much no other nation in the world would allow it to be labeled as chocolate. It tastes waxy to me.

White chocolate is a confectionery and can taste good in combination with some things. It has it's uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Spoon?
badge
SPOOOOON!!!
mbmbmbmb

70% and up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark for me (70%+ cocoa), preferably just chocolate but I will sometimes choose one with peppermint, orange zest, almonds or hazelnuts. Never crispy rice, I do not see the appeal in that at all. I may eat a piece of milk chocolate if someone offers it to me, but I'd never choose milk over dark.
And I'd rather pay for a small bar of good chocolate than a large bar of cheap chocolate. The standard chocolate sold here is far too sweet and the texture just isn't right - it's slightly grainy, leaves your mouth feeling like it's coated in something, and it's waxy when it's cold (I don't refrigerate chocolate, but winter room temperatures are enough).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all three, but if I had to rank them, it would probably be dark chocolate first, milk chocolate second, and white chocolate third.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Belgian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
Swiss!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cadbury's milk chocolate probably. Though I like Chocolate Orange too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark! Especially if it's surrounding some other goody, like nuts or fruit or peanut butter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
Some serious love for dark in here, which I too vote for. I don't eat much chocolate at all (or many sweet things really), but the taste of dark chocolate, especially the really high quality stuff, can be amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Milk or white, there is also a combo with a coffee taste, love that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." --Emerson
badge
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." --Hamlet (Shakespeare)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hedgepig wrote:
I don't particularly care for chocolate ice cream or pudding. I like my chocolate warm.
Hmm. Until you said that, I didn't realize I like my chocolate cold. Generally speaking, chocolate is one of my least favorite kinds of candy (I think of it as candy; it's often found on candy racks). And I usually prefer other flavors of ice cream or pudding too. But chocolate ice cream and pudding are OK sometimes; I just had some last night.

I don't care for hot chocolate. I don't hate it, but I'd rather have a cup of black coffee. When I was a kid, I liked cold chocolate milk, though. I don't drink milk much anymore.

After lunch today, I stopped at the store to grab an afternoon snack. I wanted something sweet, but everything that appealed to me came only in big packages. So I reluctantly ended up getting a small chocolate bar instead. Milk chocolate with almonds and toffee.

That's my only motivation for ever consuming chocolate--to enjoy something sugary that's chewy and not too big. And I'd usually rather have caramels, licorice sticks, candy corn, fudge (vanilla or maple), or just about anything else rather than chocolate. No hard candy, though, or anything as sticky as gummy bears.

To answer the multiple-choice question, I'll take white chocolate if I have to have chocolate at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
It must be dark.

Quite like it with cherry, salted caramel, coffee, mint, orange, or other flavour, but usually au naturale.

White chocolate is not chocolate. Anyway I can't eat anything with milk in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark chocolate. Some mint in there is really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Kvikklunsj

Milk chocolate with pieces of crackers in it, and seasalt. Some of the salty, some of the sweet.

Oh, and Smash. Salty corn taste with sweet chocolate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Milk and Dark chocolate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
The darker the better. Milk chocolate is an abomination that must be scoured from the Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
The darker the better. Milk chocolate is an abomination that must be scoured from the Earth.
It think it depends on the country it's from. I like lots of things when I'm in the US but chocolate isn't one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:
I like lots of things when I'm in the US but chocolate isn't one of them.
No doubt we have exceptionally poor quality chocolate available in the US.

We also have good chocolate. You just have to know where to look. It's even gotten a lot easier to find better quality chocolate in the US in the last few years. Even mass market supermarkets carry it. Not in the candy aisle, there is a little section of chocolate off to the side. Usually near coffee.

And there are small business chocolatiers that make good chocolate.

Just like America is most well known for our terrible mass market poor quality beer, or our mass market poor quality cheese spreads or cheese foodstuffs, there are smaller market producers who actually care and make good products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." --Emerson
badge
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." --Hamlet (Shakespeare)
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Just like America is most well known for our terrible mass market poor quality beer, or our mass market poor quality cheese spreads or cheese foodstuffs, there are smaller market producers who actually care and make good products.
Then too, it's a matter of taste. "Good" chocolate and other products are only good to those with a discerning palate. For millions of people, the finest Swiss chocolate just doesn't taste right compared to the Hershey bar they grew up with.

I wonder what European kids thought in World War II, when GIs were handing out American chocolate bars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
frumpish wrote:
Then too, it's a matter of taste. "Good" chocolate and other products are only good to those with a discerning palate. For millions of people, the finest Swiss chocolate just doesn't taste right compared to the Hershey bar they grew up with.

I wonder what European kids thought in World War II, when GIs were handing out American chocolate bars.
True. I'm not a fan of fancy expensive chocolate even though I'm told it's a lot better than the stuff I normally eat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Milk chocolate all the way. Preferably as hot chocolate, but candy bars are acceptable (as are doughnuts covered in chocolate, triple chocolate cake, chocolate gelato, and French silk pie).

Dark chocolate makes me physically ill.

Chocolate from Europe and Canada do taste quite different, and delicious - definitely better than the standard American fair. Though I agree with Tim that small batch manufacturers are much better! Which is why I usually buy my chocolate from local chocolatiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls